Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

motonenterprises

I-385

14 posts in this topic

Anyone know what the plans for 385 are? Its nice and wide in the city, bottlenecks after Woodruff Rd. and then is nice and wide again through Simpsonville. What gives? This doesn't make any sense to me and it backs up every morning going to Greenville and sometimes going to Simpsonville. Any discussion is appreciated.

I was on I-385 recently and thought the exact same thing. It makes no sense to have 3 lanes each way through Simpsonville and Fountain Inn and NOT have three lanes each way through Woodruff Road. Who made the stupid decision to delay widening it between I-85 and I-185?!? That stretch, plus the section between I-85 and downtown, is heavily traveled and very important. It's also nice to have the more suburban areas addressed, but still.

That whole I-85/I-385/Woodruff Rd intersection needs to be completely re-done. That is going to be some major work. Probably still a couple of years away.

I'll bet more than a couple. With the DOTs problems the last few years, and the upstate's lack of representation in the state government, I85/I385 improvements are probably many years away. This should have just been done at the same time as the other expansions. And the longer they wait to address the 85/385/Woodruff interchange, the price will only go up exponentially.

I checked SCDOT's website and I couldn't find any plans for 385. I checked the STIP, but it may be worth looking at the GPATS website to see if they have any plans for it.

Something needs to be done soon. Its getting to the point that the lousy patch work on the stretches of potholes are not gonna work anymore.

Something needs to be done soon. Its getting to the point that the lousy patch work on the stretches of potholes are not gonna work anymore.

The amount of bridges that will need to be replaced in that area to get it all to 3 lanes is a little mind boggling.

When they do alter the bridges for widening, I hope they plan ahead and allow for 4 or even 5 lanes each way.

I doubt we will see 4 to 5 lanes each way on I-385. I'd rather look at alternatives we have before adding lanes (i.e. rail transit from downtown through Cleveland Park through ICAR to Golden Strip).

I-185 and the southern connector has/is planned for three lanes in each direction.

I doubt we will see 4 to 5 lanes each way on I-385. I'd rather look at alternatives we have before adding lanes (i.e. rail transit from downtown through Cleveland Park through ICAR to Golden Strip).

I-185 and the southern connector has/is planned for three lanes in each direction.

I could not agree more about the need to plan ahead. Unfortunately, SC has a record of only doing the bare minimum; and only when 10 years too late. :rolleyes:

I believe he was referring to preparing for future expansions, which whether we think we'll need it or not, it can't hurt. It's a simple matter of making all of the replaced bridges have longer spans over each direction of traffic.

^What is your source for this info?