Brewery Vivant coming to Cherry St

grcitydog

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Spectrum vacates the site on Lake, it will provide an excellent opportunity for retail to move in there! This is a prime East Hills location!

I think that would make a great spot for a small boutique hotel/hostel kind of place. When I say "small" I mean maybe 6 - 8 apartment style hotel rooms. What do you guys think? Do you think there are enough visitors to this area who might be interested in staying someplace other than your local Marri-Hamp-Staybridge Suites?

2307070393_51614a3ec0_o.jpg

I split this off to not take the other one off-topic too far.

What else would go well here? I hope it doesn't stay vacant long. I'd hate to see a weed-choked playground in the middle of this growing area.

I've always loved this building and it seems to have so much potential with a new use. I hope that whoever redevlops it has retail on the ground level, with housing up above. Since ICCF has already added the great gardens to the area, I hope we infill on the playground area.

Joe

I would like to see some sort of food market here, maybe something like Kingma's. I also hope whatever the use, the brick building that fronts Lake gets plate glass windows.

I agree! The windows they put in Hopscotch on Cherry make it much more inviting, because you can window shop and they make it much brighter and more pleasant inside as well.

All good ideas - some sort of pedestrian connector between Cherry and Lake would be ideal, some great landscaping like ICCF and I vote for retail, retail, retail. An urban market (think of what the folks at Martha's Vineyard coulld do with that space) would be a hit. Is it a large enough property for a Whole Foods? Maybe a national retailer like Urban Outfitters would fit well there. The Cherry/Lake/Diamond area is only a few puzzle pieces away from being a really great destination shopping spot and the Spectrum property is a huge piece of that puzzle. (The others being the NW corner of Lake and Diamond and the SE & SW corners of Cherry and Diamond.) Whatever happens, let's just hope that some thought is put into it and we don't see a Wallgreen's or McDonalds "Future Home Of" sign go up.

All good ideas - some sort of pedestrian connector between Cherry and Lake would be ideal, some great landscaping like ICCF and I vote for retail, retail, retail. An urban market (think of what the folks at Martha's Vineyard coulld do with that space) would be a hit. Is it a large enough property for a Whole Foods? Maybe a national retailer like Urban Outfitters would fit well there. The Cherry/Lake/Diamond area is only a few puzzle pieces away from being a really great destination shopping spot and the Spectrum property is a huge piece of that puzzle. (The others being the NW corner of Lake and Diamond and the SE & SW corners of Cherry and Diamond.) Whatever happens, let's just hope that some thought is put into it and we don't see a Wallgreen's or McDonalds "Future Home Of" sign go up.

Or sit vacant for 10 years like the old Blodgett Home did. I don't know if that would happen though with a nearly 100% occupancy rate in that area. I think it would be a great spot for a mixed-use mid-rise, and I don't know that I would be heart-broken if the home was torn down IF it were to be replaced by something a lot more dynamic for the area. It would be kind of neat to live in a 3 or 4 story building in that area, with a balcony overlooking Cherry Street.

2309688353_237eac8d10_b.jpg

Here's the building that faces Lake Drive. I wonder if it has a barrel vaulted ceiling.

2309689319_968a4dd523_b.jpg

I would like to see some sort of food market here, maybe something like Kingma's. I also hope whatever the use, the brick building that fronts Lake gets plate glass windows.

I can totally see this. Maybe a bit spiffier -- like Horrocks.

I think that with the addition of this type of business to the neighborhood, that people who now come in from out of the immediate area to hang at the boutique-y shops and restaurants would start to really see themsevles LIVING here.

next up: Lobby Storr to add self service copiers and other services that one might go to Kinko's or an office supply store for.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I saw an "Available" sign on the building from CWD. Does that mean they are developing the land, or are they brokering the property for sale.

On an off-topic, do you think Cummings, Weirda and DeVos are re-thinking the name now that Chronic Wasting disease (CWD) seems to be the topic du jour of local media these days? Bad timing I guess. :) At least they didn't name the group SARS or West Nile. ;)

Joe

I thought they already did.....this was supposedly snapped up by CWD.

Is that not correct?

I saw an "Available" sign on the building from CWD. Does that mean they are developing the land, or are they brokering the property for sale.

I've heard that they just have it under contract and are feeling out potential interest before closing...could be wrong though.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone heard anything more on this site? Seems like such a great opportunity for redevelopment while Cherry, Lake and Diamond are hot. I can't find a listing on carwm.

With the Green Well and the Corez Wine Bar down the street, plus the cafes, Cherry Deli, and all the other shops and galleries, your idea for a small boutique hotel above some more retail or possibly another restaurant just sounds better and better.

With the Green Well and the Corez Wine Bar down the street, plus the cafes, Cherry Deli, and all the other shops and galleries, your idea for a small boutique hotel above some more retail or possibly another restaurant just sounds better and better.

Imagine a mixed use development centered around food (grocery store, bakery, restaurants) with a boutique hotel/spa above, maybe with an open arcade that connects Lake Drive to Cherry. It'd be a foodie destination paradise.

3035739606_cda4c5be03_o.jpg

3034902797_ec8a439da0_o.jpg

3035739536_d2c3c1819b_o.jpg

3034902891_2658547fc4_o.jpg

Rent bikes from the hotel and you'd have a little bit of Amsterdam in Grand Rapids.

49929059_09fa7def01.jpg

Archived