Brewery Vivant coming to Cherry St

grcitydog

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping they look at adding residential above the new building that's not shown in the renderings (West end of the property). I gotta believe there are more than a few people who wouldn't mind having a patio overlooking that section of Cherry Street.

So is there going to be a building west of the funeral home chapel next to Corez? Residential would be very cool there and add some different heights. Do you know how much of the parking lot they are keeping? Not that I love parking lots, but I hope they save some as my wife (since her office is right there) always says that the on street parking is hard to come by.

So is there going to be a building west of the funeral home chapel next to Corez? Residential would be very cool there and add some different heights. Do you know how much of the parking lot they are keeping? Not that I love parking lots, but I hope they save some as my wife (since her office is right there) always says that the on street parking is hard to come by.

I'm not sure on the parking. The article states: "It also plans two new commercial buildings on the eastern and western ends of the site's Cherry Street frontage," which I had heard also. The rendering shows the Eastern end building as a one-story, unless there is a building further East (I doubt it), but does not show the Western building.

My childhood neighborhood has come a long way. When I was growing up, it was a traditional city neighborhood, with a small grocery store, drugstore, bank, cleaners, gas station, dairy store (I seem to recall buying fudgecicles near the corner of Diamond and Cherry), funeral home, florist, "Priests' home", and local elementary school. The only thing left is the school (well, the Cherie Inn and Pickwick's still remain). I think I need to return and buy my family's former house (127 Paddock), either fix it up or tear it down and rebuild a duplex.

How is the housing around there? Any signs of the old stuff being refurbished? Last time I was there, last year, it still seemed as though the neighborhood housing is lagging behind the commercial/retail improvements.

How is the housing around there? Any signs of the old stuff being refurbished? Last time I was there, last year, it still seemed as though the neighborhood housing is lagging behind the commercial/retail improvements.

Depends on the street...my street is mostly owner occupied and many (including mine) have been renovated. Around the corner, there are mostly rentals - some in really bad shape. I feel like the pride in ownership and renovations are going in the right direction, but the housing market isn't helping. I know some families who have lived there for years who are being foreclosed on. I hope that it doesn't hurt the upward momentum.

I was just going to ask what is planned for the two/three story building on the west side of the property (not in the pic). That building alone has a ton of opportunities. I think this part of Uptown is going to be hopping (as if it isn't already).

Joe

I'm not sure on the parking. The article states: "It also plans two new commercial buildings on the eastern and western ends of the site's Cherry Street frontage," which I had heard also. The rendering shows the Eastern end building as a one-story, unless there is a building further East (I doubt it), but does not show the Western building.

I'd guess that the new building on the east end of the site is only part of the master plan right now and they want to get through the first phase with the tenant that they already have locked in.

Hopefully there will be some good news about the infamous law office in the near future. We put a sketch together recently for a client and hopefully they'll move forward with it.

I'm really looking forward to this. I often walk my dog down Cherry and i've often wondered what the fate of the building would be. This seems like it will be a really great fit and I like the fact that in the mlive article they mentioned that they're going to stay local. I'm jazzed up about this!

And as for that law office, i'm assuming you're talking about that gray/cinderblock spot on the corner of Diamond? Are they allergic to windows in there or what? Be careful you don't want to let any light in!

That's exciting news. Here's to hoping for the best!

Joe

I'd guess that the new building on the east end of the site is only part of the master plan right now and they want to get through the first phase with the tenant that they already have locked in.

Hopefully there will be some good news about the infamous law office in the near future. We put a sketch together recently for a client and hopefully they'll move forward with it.

I was just going to ask what is planned for the two/three story building on the west side of the property (not in the pic). That building alone has a ton of opportunities. I think this part of Uptown is going to be hopping (as if it isn't already).

Joe

Regarding that part of the building, the article states "Locus will renovate a house on the property to lease to other as-yet unsigned tenants." As there is nothing else on the property that resembles a house in the complex, the 2 story brick Tudor must be what it refers to. I can only assume that the "new commercial building on the western end" would be built in the parking lot between the house and Corez. It's interesting to note that the back of the house does not show in the rendering of the rear elevation (view from Lake Dr.) even though I think part of it should be visible to the right of the vat.

Good news! My wife looks out her office window at that ugly thing and it's such a bad "gateway" to the district. When that "For Lease" sign went up, I thought it would move a lot quicker with the low vacancy rates in East Hills. Hope they go through with it!

Got a chance to see the site plan as my wife's office is in the EH business district. Looks like 44 parking spaces - all behind the restaurant/retail. The "house" part is just labeled "house" and the west building between the house and Corez is "future" but says it's 2 story so maybe there will be some living space above. I'm eager to see what other tenants they're going to sign. The plans looks really good for the space. I notice demolition has started already (kidding, it was just a car that drove through the fence on Cherry St.) =) It would be great if that new two story building (2000 sq ft per level) could be a neighborhood grocery market (Kingma's-like or something similar)

I'd be interested to know if the "house" was really a home at one time. It's a pretty large building. Anyone know the details on the structure?

Joe

I always assumed it was part of the funeral home, but now I'm curious. It could make a really cool space for a store. Hopefully some history buffs will chime in.

I'd be interested to know if the "house" was really a home at one time. It's a pretty large building. Anyone know the details on the structure?

Joe

I was talking to the guy who owns YT Galleria the other day and he said that the family who owned the original funeral home on that site lived in the upstairs apartment. He also said that the space upstairs was sweet with lots of Arts and Crafts style detailing. It's second hand but he seemed to know what he was talking about.

Got a chance to see the site plan as my wife's office is in the EH business district. Looks like 44 parking spaces - all behind the restaurant/retail. The "house" part is just labeled "house" and the west building between the house and Corez is "future" but says it's 2 story so maybe there will be some living space above. I'm eager to see what other tenants they're going to sign. The plans looks really good for the space. I notice demolition has started already (kidding, it was just a car that drove through the fence on Cherry St.) =) It would be great if that new two story building (2000 sq ft per level) could be a neighborhood grocery market (Kingma's-like or something similar)

Couldn't agree more - a Kingma's or Horrock's type store there would be awesome. (Plus, it would put me one step closer to my goal of going car-less as I would then have a grocery store within easy walking distance.) I've got a great idea - GRPS should close Congress school and sell it to a developer who would then convert it into great apartments/condos; add a few free standing houses like the ones behind ICCF and put the Kingma's/Horrocks on the section of that property that fronts Lake Drive. That would be an ideal fit in that there is plenty of room and it would act as a bridge between the Fulton/Diamond and Lake Drive/Cherry/Diamond shopping districts. Attention developers and Superintendent Taylor - make this happen so I have a grocery store I can walk to.

Couldn't agree more - a Kingma's or Horrock's type store there would be awesome. (Plus, it would put me one step closer to my goal of going car-less as I would then have a grocery store within easy walking distance.) I've got a great idea - GRPS should close Congress school and sell it to a developer who would then convert it into great apartments/condos; add a few free standing houses like the ones behind ICCF and put the Kingma's/Horrocks on the section of that property that fronts Lake Drive. That would be an ideal fit in that there is plenty of room and it would act as a bridge between the Fulton/Diamond and Lake Drive/Cherry/Diamond shopping districts. Attention developers and Superintendent Taylor - make this happen so I have a grocery store I can walk to.

And where, exactly, would the ~200-250 students from East Hills and Midtown who live within close walking distance of Congress Elementary go to school?

Their parents would have to drive their kids to school so you could go carless! :P :P

Edit: Also, that green space is significant to the neighborhood. Not sure I'd want to get rid of it on a whim...

In my ideal world, the empty Network 180 building on Lake east of Eastern would be redeveloped into a Newberry Place type of Co-housing development. That would be infill I could support!

And where, exactly, would the ~200-250 students from East Hills and Midtown who live within close walking distance of Congress Elementary go to school?

Their parents would have to drive their kids to school so you could go carless! tongue.giftongue.gif

Edit: Also, that green space is significant to the neighborhood. Not sure I'd want to get rid of it on a whim...

In my ideal world, the empty Network 180 building on Lake east of Eastern would be redeveloped into a Newberry Place type of Co-housing development. That would be infill I could support!

If someone opens a neighborhood grocery store, I would hope that it's called "Twist's" in memory of Mr. Twist (with his son) who owned the small grocery store on Cherry, next door to or a couple doors down from (west?) of Pickwick's. I knew I was grown up when my mother let me walk there on my own when I turned 5, just about when I started to walk to Congress School for kindergarten. So yeah, I'd like to see a food store in the neighborhood, but still keep the school.

Does anyone out there remember Mr. Twist's store and/or know anything about him. I'm not sure when the store closed. Perhaps that happened after we moved from Paddock Street in 1965, but I just don't remember.

And I still think that the neighborhood is ripe for more housing, or renovating what is there. Now is the time to buy, people!!! I don't think prices will get lower. Too bad I still have a few years before I can seriously think about it myself.

If someone opens a neighborhood grocery store...

The Green Life Market

HUGE SALE

25% Off Everything in the Store!

Starts Thursday, February 18

and lasts until all products are gone!

Dear Green Life Friends,

It is with mixed emotions that we are announcing that The Green Life Market will be closing under the current ownership. We would like to thank all of our loyal customers for your support over the past couple of years. We could not have had the success we have had without your trips to our friendly neighborhood market!

The fate of the Market is up to the universe! If you or anyone you may know is interested in purchasing the store, we are currently taking offers! It is a great Market and we would love to see it thrive in the future.

Their parents would have to drive their kids to school so you could go carless! :P :P

Let's see - making grocery shopping more convenient for me vs moving 250 students, a bigger carbon footprint as a result of all of those kids being bussed or driven to who knows where and the loss of green space... I'll get back to you on that one but right now, the grocery store is winning. (Tongue planted firmly in cheek.) I retired from GRPS about 4 years ago after 30 years of service - I know how important a school is to the vibrancy of a neighborhood so I hope Congress stays off the closing list for a very long time - I was just doing a little wishful thinking because I don't think the old Spectrum site is big enough for what they already have planned plus a Kingma's/Horrocks type store. There's always Family Fare on Fulton but something tells me that they aren't long for this world. The last few times I've been in, I've overheard employees grumbling about some big changes ahead.

I know how important a school is to the vibrancy of a neighborhood so I hope Congress stays off the closing list for a very long time.

I sure wish Congress would get some renovation love sometime in the future. A nicely remodeled/partially new elementary school would be great for the neighborhood.

I sure wish Congress would get some renovation love sometime in the future. A nicely remodeled/partially new elementary school would be great for the neighborhood.

Yes, a rehab job similar to what they did to Burton Elementary would be ideal! Don't know if GRPS will be asking for another facilities bond anytime soon, though. As much as I like the Houseman Field Renovation, and it was really necessary, they might have better met the voters intent of the bond if they had spent it renovating a school like Congress and run a capital campaign to raise funds for Houseman.

This chit chat has got me going! I remember running down the stairs to the basement of Congress School (is the gym still down there?) to sit on the hallway floor and duck and cover, primarily for tornado watches/warnings, or so we were told. I remember seeing the Civil Defense sign on the wall, indicating it was a public shelter, most likely in the case of a nuclear attack. While I think at a very young age we kids back then were aware of the Cold War and those big bad Communists in the Soviet Union, I don't remember actually practicing "duck and cover" for a possible nuclear attack.

Ok, back to actual (re)development talk. When was the last time Congress School was renovated or had major improvements?

This chit chat has got me going! I remember running down the stairs to the basement of Congress School (is the gym still down there?) to sit on the hallway floor and duck and cover, primarily for tornado watches/warnings, or so we were told. I remember seeing the Civil Defense sign on the wall, indicating it was a public shelter, most likely in the case of a nuclear attack. While I think at a very young age we kids back then were aware of the Cold War and those big bad Communists in the Soviet Union, I don't remember actually practicing "duck and cover" for a possible nuclear attack.

Ok, back to actual (re)development talk. When was the last time Congress School was renovated or had major improvements?

Gym is still on the ground floor and those old Civil Defense signs are still posted. A revamped Congress would be a boost to the neighborhood - Coit, Franklin (SWCC), Burton, Palmer are all good examples of renovating existing buildings and designing new additions that are complimentary to the old. Maybe they'll be next on the list.

Archived