Brewery Vivant coming to Cherry St

grcitydog

Imagine a mixed use development centered around food (grocery store, bakery, restaurants) with a boutique hotel/spa above, maybe with an open arcade that connects Lake Drive to Cherry. It'd be a foodie destination paradise.

I think the problem gets to be the scale. There's nothing that big anywhere near there. It would almost be looming over the neighborhood.

I like the idea, but I don't know how it would fit.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the problem gets to be the scale. There's nothing that big anywhere near there. It would almost be looming over the neighborhood.

I like the idea, but I don't know how it would fit.

I'm thinking 3, 4 stories tops. ICCF is almost 4 stories:

1804366027_82da9c8001_b.jpg

So is the building on the North side of Cherry:

59499408_d66c6144af_o.jpg

Another question: Does the Green Well building have a green roof? That would be a cool sight to see from a building across the street.

BTW: I think MiGuyz is sending morse code. :)

Here's some massing for you, preserving the barrel vaulted building for a market:

3036788290_6afe5c9b83_o.jpg

My question/concern is: is any of this parcel protected as historical? If it is, then what can be done here will be greatly influenced, and not, IMO, for the better. I think that a mixed use, 3-4 story building would be very cool in this location, but that can't happen if part of what is existing can't be touched. If the latter is the case, I can't really see what would work there except maybe several small retail stores.

My question/concern is: is any of this parcel protected as historical? If it is, then what can be done here will be greatly influenced, and not, IMO, for the better. I think that a mixed use, 3-4 story building would be very cool in this location, but that can't happen if part of what is existing can't be touched. If the latter is the case, I can't really see what would work there except maybe several small retail stores.

It's not a federally registered historic site, but it is in a historic district. The difference being that in a historic district, any changes have to be approved by the Historic Preservation Commission. Think of 38 Commerce. The current building there is not a registered historic building, but it sits in the Heartside District. The HPC approved the building's demolition because it will be replaced by something that will help other historic buildings nearby.

I think there are a few people here familiar with how the HPC would handle such a request.

• 1 year later...

I know we're not really supposed to do this, but...bump.

Okay, okay.... Finally this property will be transferring hands in the very near future. I met with the developer, concept is very cool & this project will turbo thrust the East Hills-Uptown area to seriously be, hands down, the coolest neighborhood & business district in Grand Rapids.

Wish I could say more, but out of respect for the proposed development, which is AWESOME, I will wait until its public information.

When this project is complete, the Uptown area will be a serious contender against other services (besides retail) downtown. Uptown already has 10x more retail than downtown.

bump...bump...bump..bump... What's that?

That's Uptown, the heartbeat of the City....

This is awesome news. Everytime I'm at Greenwell I look across and think of the possibilities. Thumbs Up!

Joe

Okay, okay.... Finally this property will be transferring hands in the very near future. I met with the developer, concept is very cool & this project will turbo thrust the East Hills-Uptown area to seriously be, hands down, the coolest neighborhood & business district in Grand Rapids.

Wish I could say more, but out of respect for the proposed development, which is AWESOME, I will wait until its public information.

When this project is complete, the Uptown area will be a serious contender against other services (besides retail) downtown. Uptown already has 10x more retail than downtown.

bump...bump...bump..bump... What's that?

That's Uptown, the heartbeat of the City....

...AWESOME

Sheesh. The modern construct holds that everything is AWESOME, whether it's a coffee stirrer or a Mystery Project®.

Suggests that this will not be a retailer. Let the guesses commence!

Sheesh. The modern construct holds that everything is AWESOME, whether it's a coffee stirrer or a Mystery Project®.

If GridGirl says it will be awesome, I believe it will be awesome. Is it the word you don't like? Your apparent view of its overuse?

The possibility of this being redeveloped is friggin awesomeness.

Either that, or it could be a destination retailer that will really cement East Hills as a retail destination in Grand Rapids. If that were so, I bet Mr. Cinder Block Wall/Glass Block window lawyer man would be pretty happy, along with some of the other property owners in the area.

Sheesh. The modern construct holds that everything is AWESOME, whether it's a coffee stirrer or a Mystery Project.

I'm hoping for a totally friggin' awesome surface parking lot.silly.png

Dad, you bumped this thread first. How did you know something was cooking?

GridGirl, any word on when the info will become public? Or are you not allowed to say that either?

Here's Chris Knape's take on it. The rumor, I mean.

http://blog.mlive.co...z_grows_ov.html

Looks like the word awesome has its own hash tag.

He just updated it, saying he has a source indicating a brewery will be involved. If that's true, I hope it's part of something bigger. It's going to take more than a brewery to make East Hills "the coolest."

I guess I won't get that surface parking lot I wanted...whistling.gif

I'm definitely excited too, and have high hopes that "awesome" will be an appropriate moniker - but does anyone know when any public announcements will be made??

Probably when they have to go before the historic commission or the neighborhood business association.

I can say the project may or may not contain one or more of the following: brewery, restaurant, retail, renovation and new infill (from Hotel Venus bldg down to Corez along Cherry), and residential.

• 2 months later...

Brewery Vivant announced:

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2010/02/brewery_vivant_new_holland_bre.html

Some highlights:

) Owned by New Holland Brewery owner

) Hope to open by the Fall

) 140 seat taproom and restaurant in the old chapel on the property

) Partially covered outdoor beer garden and piazza facing Cherry

Brewery Vivant announced:

http://www.mlive.com...olland_bre.html

Some highlights:

) Owned by New Holland Brewery owner

) Hope to open by the Fall

) 140 seat taproom and restaurant in the old chapel on the property

) Partially covered outdoor beer garden and piazza facing Cherry

This looks great! Chris said it right that this really fills a "black hole" in the business district. The retail on either side will really add to the vibrancy. Any way of getting site plans? Hopefully this will encourage even more great things in the East Hills BD (Larry Woods law office new tenant? - one can dream!)

This looks great! Chris said it right that this really fills a "black hole" in the business district. The retail on either side will really add to the vibrancy. Anyway of getting site plans? Hopefully this will encourage even more great things in the East Hills BD (Larry Woods law office new tenant? - one can dream!)

I lived one block away from this site but sold my house 5 years ago. Bummer. This will be a perfect fit for East Hills!

The brewery's specialty will be Belgian and French-style beers that combine unique strains of yeast with hops, grains, spices and fruits. Spaulding also expects to secure a wine-making license for small batches of wine.The name reflects those roots with vivant meaning lively or alive in French.

Add this to Founder's, and GR's really fixing to make a name for itself in this sort of high-end, high-gravity style beer. I'm only speculating that Vivant will offer those kinds of styles, but that's the impression I got from reading this.tough.gif

Archived