University of Minnesota's TCF Bank Stadium

Minneapolitan

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
As an Ohio State fan that has attended several Buckeye-Gopher games in the Metro Dome, I think this is huge huge improvement. I think w/ it only being about 50,000 seats, and being ON CAMPUS, which I cannot stress enough how helpful that will be, will keep it mostly full for a few years. Of course, they will have to improve the product on the field, but I have a feeling this new facility and the other stuff going w/ it, will help them recruit better. It's also great that it will be close to their Lightrail. I think it looks good. It will be like their old Memorial Stadium that they had on campus many eons ago, back when they were one of the National Powers. Of course, I'm not sure if their team will ever get there but w/ their very energetic coach, and this new facility, I guess anything is possible. I wish them luck.

• 2 weeks later...

1-A teams shouldn't be playing 1-AA teams. It is totally weak and schools like Michigan and Minnesota deserve to lose those games. Schools like USC and Washington play teams like LSU, Auburn, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Notre Dame etc. instead of scheduling 1-AA creampuffs. The NCAA needs to disqualify wins over 1-AA teams in their formula for the BCS.

1-A teams shouldn't be playing 1-AA teams. It is totally weak and schools like Michigan and Minnesota deserve to lose those games. Schools like USC and Washington play teams like LSU, Auburn, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Notre Dame etc. instead of scheduling 1-AA creampuffs. The NCAA needs to disqualify wins over 1-AA teams in their formula for the BCS.

As a person who went to IAA school I disagree a little. You re only allowed 1 FCS game to qualify for bowl wins, and usually it is a payout game for the FCS team and a home game for the FBS team. The only time you see a lot of FCS teams get scheduled is when the FBS teams have a short amoutn of home games and they want the revenue.

• 3 weeks later...
As a person who went to one of the few D-1A schools left that still have their man card and haven't played a 1-AA team, I disagree. D1 schools, especially those in BCS conferences have zero business playing 1-AA schools and should be scheduling other BCS teams. I am especially sick of the girly SEC regularly feasting upon the weak instead of grabbing their sacks and playing BCS schools out of SEC land.

I can understand a non BCS school scheduling a 1-AA team every few years, but it should be shunned upon among the BCS ranks. Schools like USC and Washington play teams like Michigan, Miami, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc. instead of 1-AA schools. That should be the trend.

As a Buckeye fan I agree, and it sickens me that we have Youngstown State on our schedule. I have no problem w/ non-BCS, but Div 1A or (FBS) schools out of the MAC, or Conference USA or the WAC or MWC, but Div 1-AA shouldn't be on there.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Here are some recent photos of the completed TCF Stadium. The first game will be September 12th when the Gophers take on the Air Force Falcons. TCF Stadium, which is designed to support future expansion to seat 80,000 people, will serve as the Olympic Stadium in Minneapolis's bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics. That is, unless the Vikings have a newer stadium built by then, which would be only 1.25 miles from TCF Stadium.

There are now seven stadiums / arenas within a 3 mile span; Target Field, Target Center, Metrodome, Williams Arena, Mariucci Arena, Ridder Arena, and TCF Bank Stadium.

View from the press box at TCF Stadium.

tcfstadium.jpg

The bar in the club area

dsc_4836.jpg

A view from the President's Box at TCF Stadium.

dsc_4856.jpg

Minnesota locker room - the largest football locker room

Archived