The roads are disintegrating!

GRDadof3

Man, what is going on?! I've never seen the potholes so bad as this year. They did a report on it last night on WOODTV and then Free Beer & Hot Wings are talking about it this morning. There are some stretches of road where there are more potholes than road surface left, and others where it looks like a backhoe dug a trench across the road! :shok:

Pearl Street in front of the Ford Museum is really bad. Where are some other places that are really bad?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, what is going on?! I've never seen the potholes so bad as this year. They did a report on it last night on WOODTV and then Free Beer & Hot Wings are talking about it this morning. There are some stretches of road where there are more potholes than road surface left, and others where it looks like a backhoe dug a trench across the road! :shok:

Pearl Street in front of the Ford Museum is really bad. Where are some other places that are really bad?

Maryland is terrible, awful, very bad -- all the way from Fulton to Leonard. And Michigan between Leffingwell and Plymouth is a real axle-breaker. Lately I've seen disabled cars along that stretch every couple of days.

Street maintenance in Grand Rapids is bloody inadequate. It's the first thing our friends and family comment on when coming up from Chicago. Not "oh, wow, look at the cranes," but rather "Jeezus, what's the matter with the roads?!?" No exaggeration--those were the first words out of a friends mouth LAST JULY after driving up for a visit. Yes, it's bad this winter, but it's been bad year-'round for a long time.

I have NEVER lived in a town with a city income tax, and yet city services are worse here than anywhere else I've lived. By far.

If the City of Grand Rapids can't manage adequate road maintenance and resurfacing with its current gas-tax funding system, then it needs to change the funding source. Based on responses I've gotten to much politer complaints directly to the city, all they're willing to do is cry "Inadequate funding system! Inadequate funding system!" with absolutely no answer to what they're doing to change the funding system.

All the development downtown won't be good if the main arterial streets into the city are gravel.

Maryland is terrible, awful, very bad -- all the way from Fulton to Leonard. And Michigan between Leffingwell and Plymouth is a real axle-breaker. Lately I've seen disabled cars along that stretch every couple of days.

Street maintenance in Grand Rapids is bloody inadequate. It's the first thing our friends and family comment on when coming up from Chicago. Not "oh, wow, look at the cranes," but rather "Jeezus, what's the matter with the roads?!?" No exaggeration--those were the first words out of a friends mouth LAST JULY after driving up for a visit. Yes, it's bad this winter, but it's been bad year-'round for a long time.

I have NEVER lived in a town with a city income tax, and yet city services are worse here than anywhere else I've lived. By far.

If the City of Grand Rapids can't manage adequate road maintenance and resurfacing with its current gas-tax funding system, then it needs to change the funding source. Based on responses I've gotten to much politer complaints directly to the city, all they're willing to do is cry "Inadequate funding system! Inadequate funding system!" with absolutely no answer to what they're doing to change the funding system.

All the development downtown won't be good if the main arterial streets into the city are gravel.

the NW side has had it's share of pothole messes as well... If you thought it couldn't get worse, Covell (between Leonard and LMD) is just downright pitiful. 96 past Alpine was a train wreck until you hit the new concrete. and Holy Crap I thought I was going to loose my car on Lafayette Ave when I travelled north on it from Fulton to Michigan the other day. Wealthy near the 131 onramps is bad. Commerce, well its Commerce, it just needs to be redone period.

The pot holes are not only huge, but deep as well. This has been the worst type of winter for potholes, and it's probably not going to get better for the next few years either.

Michigan Street all the way from the Beltline into downtown is a disaster. Rattled my teeth one day last week because I couldn't swerve out of the way.

There's one on the Fuller overpass (over 196) that could easily eat a Geo Metro.

Tell me about the taxes. I loved getting the postcard from the city last week that said "Did you know that GR has an income tax?" Believe me, I know... and I don't understand exactly what I am getting for them that isn't already covered by my property tax.

There were some HUGE ones on the bridges at 196 near the Veteran's cemetery (west bound side)...They were so deep I was expecting to look down and see the ground below. Needless to say one of them split some the tread off my tire and bent the rim, etc, etc...THANK GOD I have run flat tires or it coud have been even worse...I was able to make it to Alpine and get BMW assist to send a flatbed...long story short these potholes are expensive and can ruin a weekend!!! End of rant.

I just really like the effect the replaced expansion joints on 131 are having right now. Cut out 4 ft strips from 50 year old, brittle, worn out concrete at 30 foot intervals and replace with new concrete. Water, ice and salt now have a nice groove to work into and break up the old concrete, that's conveniently next to a solid mass of 10 inch think new concrete that won't break up. The axle replacement shops must be loving it right about now.

Michigan Street all the way from the Beltline into downtown is a disaster. Rattled my teeth one day last week because I couldn't swerve out of the way.

There's one on the Fuller overpass (over 196) that could easily eat a Geo Metro.

Tell me about the taxes. I loved getting the postcard from the city last week that said "Did you know that GR has an income tax?" Believe me, I know... and I don't understand exactly what I am getting for them that isn't already covered by my property tax.

Archived