Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bw87a

CentrePointe Center

9 posts in this topic

That's a realy beautiful building. I hope it works out. :thumbsup:

That is a very nice and impressive building. Hope this comes to fruition.

This project has a lot of opposition from the people in town who want to preserve downtown the way it is and redevelop what's already there. What do you guys think?

I think preservation of existing structures of value and quality should be a priority, but progress and new construction should not be excluded from downtown. Is this project going to take out historically significant structures that could be rehabbed? If so I could see the opposition being very well supported.

I think preservation of existing structures of value and quality should be a priority, but progress and new construction should not be excluded from downtown. Is this project going to take out historically significant structures that could be rehabbed? If so I could see the opposition being very well supported.

Nothing of great or real significance, only the context of the structures. Most have been allowed to decay away due to benign neglect.

Centrepointe becomes more classical, taller

Authored by Sherman Cahal at UrbanUp on November 12, 2008

Centrepointe grew up. Literally. In what the Webb Companies has called the "final design," Centrepointe has added a distinctive peak and spire into the mix, replacing a flat roof. In addition, the podium has been reduced to three floors to accommodate taller heights for hotel functions, classical columns were added to the entrance along Main Street, and an elevated pedway that was to cross South Limestone Street to the Phoenix parking garage has been buried. The amount of condominiums has also been increased in the revision as well, taking into account the popularity of one-bedroom residences and demand that (will) hopefully return to the housing market by the time Centrepointe is completed in 2010.

The changes were filed with the Courthouse Area Design Review office and approved.

Core drilling for Centrepointe continues although it is winding down and should be completed within a few days. Foundation removal is still ongoing, and is slightly delayed due to the robust foundation of the former Graves structure.

In my opinion, the changes were wonderfully executed in the design. The addition of more traditional elements to the skyscraper, such as the columns, the spire and the revised motif has given Centrepointe a more refined feel. The reduction of the podium in terms of the number of floors, even if to give greater height to the hotel function rooms, should be more comparable to other downtown properties.

full_1_685.jpg