Looking for some old/offbeat residences in GR...

seely

There's a house in EGR around Argentina or San Lu Rae that is a complete remodel by some folks that work for Herman Miller, VERY modern euro, not a thing like it was before the remodel and nothing like anything in the neighborhood. Went though it when it was for sale sometime back, stunning inside! They showed some press clippings, so it has been written up.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure how far out of the general GR area you are interested in, but out in Grattan Township there is a very unique octaganal house overlooking Slayton Lake off of Seven-Mile Road just east of Lincoln Lake. I am not completely sure of its history but I belive that it was built toward that latter part of the 19th century by a local "Lumber Baron" for his parents (happens to be one of my reletives...Can't remember his first name, but I beleive it was Thomas Byrne). Anyway...a very lovely and unique house anyway.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...DE1ODM4NDY4NzM=

hope the link works...

Ther's a really weird house on Fuller between Fulton and Michigan on the east side of the street - we actually went and looked at it about 6 years ago when we were looking into first houses - its got a sub-terranean garage and a quirky walkway to the front door - I guess you'd have to see it.

Also, on Plainfield between 3 mile and Aberdeen is a mansion on the west side of the street that looks so out of place there but the architecture is stunning. It sits on its own block of real estate.

...On a semi related note: ... It almost looked like a motel, except it appeared to be actual seperate residences all grouped together with a courtyard in the middle... kind of a white stucco/adobe looking construction maybe? Anyways, it looked quite old and quite unusual as it seemed that maybe it was servant's quarters or really early apartments? It was all on one level, and I believe the doors all faced into the middle courtyard. ...

I always wondered about that place too. Last time I drovve by it looked like the back porch was falling off. Does the Tassell family still own it?

Joe

I've always wondered about this place. In the middle of industrial parks, apartment complexes and the Beltline sits this huge, seemingly abandoned, mansion on a big wooded lot. What's the story?

32nd & Schaffer SE

• 2 months later...

The pink stucco house I mentioned awhile back now for sale at a heck of a price for

the way the home is built:

http://public.grar.com/public/pubrecn.mac/start?MLS=718547

Hope this gem goes to someone who will care for it well.

Usual disclaimer: Not a realtor, no affiliation except to have attended a party

here last October so got a tour of the home.

Archived