Best Places to get Skyline Shots

PeytonC

Hi everyone. I am fairly new to Charlotte (2 yrs) and have noticed that alot of you guys are excellent photographers. Can I get some ideas for the best (safe) places to get some skyline shots of uptown? I am only home about 5 days per month but when I can I like to dabble in photography (just learning). Thanks for any suggestions.

Love the site BTW and you guys know alot about what's going on around town. I learn alot in here. It is exciting to see all of the projects going up in Charlotte.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have used the top of the Mint St. Parking Deck, perfect for bringing a tripod up. I have also used the parking deck next to Bland St. Station, can get some nice views of S. Tryon area and the new Wachovia. The Light Rail stations in uptown provide for some excellent elevated views. One of my favorite views is from where Royal Court is being build and on the other side of 277. Also, just on the west side of 77, around where Skybridge Terraces is going up provides some nice views.

To get the most full looking city view I would have to say probally take from the east side around Elizabeth and CPCC, that view is breathtaking, because it shows where the majority span of uptown is, along Tryon, and also shows the government district and things like The Park. Have fun, discovery, and keep us updated.

Unfortunatly for me, I dropped something on my camera and it's now R.I.P. No more pictures for me until I get a new one when I have some extra money.

Sadly all the best skyline views are in not in the safest parts.

North:

1. 30th St. Bridge over Amtrak

2. NoDa.

Jordan Pl. and N. Davidson.

3. Double Oaks.

Oaklawn and Statesville Ave.

4. Statesville Ave and Atando

5. Graham St.

West:

1. Wesley Heights/biddleville.

5th and Flint.

2. Wilkinson and Freedom Dr.

Plenty of places.

3. Brookshire Freeway between 77 and 85

East:

1. Plaza Midwood

Gordan and Commonwealth

2. Grier Heights

Wendover Rd Railroad Bridge beside Home Depot.

South:

1. Fairview and Tyvola

2. Southpark

3. Nordstrom Parking Deck.

4. Cotswold

Randolph and Wendover

5. Dilworth

Dilworth Cresent Row and Mt Vernon.

as well as Dilworth Rd., Morehead, McDowell Intersection.

6. Anywhere on LYNX above Skaleybark.

Far away

1. There is one around the arboretum that I found once a long time ago and have been looking for it since. Somewhere on Beverly Crest Blvd.

2. 74 and Matthews Mint Hill Rd. (aka Highway 51)

3. Exit 85 of 77-S in Fort Mill.

4. There are a couple places in the Uwharries

:thumbsup: Thanks for all the great suggestions so far - I will have to take some time to try them out. Does anyone know of a rendering of the future skyline when all projects are done? Thought it would be interesting to see. I can't get over how many towers are being built right now.

:thumbsup: Thanks for all the great suggestions so far - I will have to take some time to try them out. Does anyone know of a rendering of the future skyline when all projects are done? Thought it would be interesting to see. I can't get over how many towers are being built right now.

I agree with the eastern view up by CPCC. Definitely a must-see, especially at sunset when there are a few clouds in the sky to reflect those hot pinks and oranges. Also, if you want to have some fun with it, take a few laps around 277 and snap away (preferably when you aren't the one driving!)

A lot of people use the vacant lot on Morehead & Euclid for a slightly closer shot. Also the bridge over South. I've always been partial to the view from Morehead just west of 77 and south of Wesley Heights (similar to the Bryant Park view).

I have a new one to add to the long list above and unfortunately it was a place where i was cameraless. This would fall under the "far away" category. The View is way out in gastonia at the corner of New Hope Rd. and Robinwood Rd.

One shot that I have always admired is from Hwy 51, just in front of the Cedarwood Country Club. The clubhouse sits on a slight bluff and as you drive by you can see the skyline looming on the horizon beyond the golf course. I imagine the skyline views from the backside of the clubhouse are stunning.

On a side note, I was driving in that area back in late summer early fall and a huge storm was building over the downtown area. This was probably around 4-5pm and the sky had turned this dark blue and the sun was setting on the other side creating this ominous color like I have never seen before. If I only had my camera.

BTW, if anyone here is a member, or knows a member of Cedarwood, I'd love to have a nice still shot of the skyline as seen from there. Otherwise, I suppose one (maybe one day I will) could stand along Hwy 51 and take the photo.

Probably an even better shot and still in that general area would be if someone could get access to the roof at Calvary on 51. That's probably the highest elevation in the Pineville-51-Matthews area and would get you up above the trees and power lines.

Archived