Little Rock Parks

Does anyone know anything about Section 13 Park on Garrison Rd? The Little Rock Parks and Recreation website barely mentions it; however it is a beautiful park west of Ferndale Cut-Off on Garrison Road. The gates are often closed, but there does not seem to be any information available on the park. I remember riding some new mountain bike trails there in 2003, but there doesn't seem to be any activity there anymore. Has this park been closed?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know anything about Section 13 Park on Garrison Rd? The Little Rock Parks and Recreation website barely mentions it; however it is a beautiful park west of Ferndale Cut-Off on Garrison Road. The gates are often closed, but there does not seem to be any information available on the park. I remember riding some new mountain bike trails there in 2003, but there doesn't seem to be any activity there anymore. Has this park been closed?

I believe this is the large area of land that the City purchased from Deltic in 2001 for a WLR City Park. I could be wrong about the location, but at the time of the purchase it was consider very remote. The City had to justify the expense in such a undeveloped are of the City.

• 3 years later...

I go running in Allsopp park and have wondered why there are two concrete support pillars on either side of the creek? Was there a bridge there at some point or did they build them just to paint on? When I am in NWA I go running on the back of Mt Sequia and on Slaughter Pen. Anything like that here other than Pinnacle Mountain? I have not tried the Section 13 park yet (didn't know about it till I looked for a topic about parks)

I go running in Allsopp park and have wondered why there are two concrete support pillars on either side of the creek? Was there a bridge there at some point or did they build them just to paint on? When I am in NWA I go running on the back of Mt Sequia and on Slaughter Pen. Anything like that here other than Pinnacle Mountain? I have not tried the Section 13 park yet (didn't know about it till I looked for a topic about parks)

Yes. There used to be a pedestrian suspension bridge back in the 20's or 30's that was a part of the park. Very cool history. Here's a link to an article about it:

http://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBlog/archives/2011/01/02/hillcrests-swinging-bridge

Don't know how it compares to Slaughter Pen but the mtn. bike trails at Burns Park have runners on them all the time. In addition there are the CARP bike trails at Camp Robinson. Those require you to buy a permit and a parking pass but I hear they are great at least as far as MTB goes. http://www.carpclub.com/maps.html

Archived