New Walgreen's on Atwells is open, but

brick

Why do the big pharmacy chains insist on not having usable windows?

I mean, I know the answer for why they don't want them, I have posted it here in the past. But can they really not change their business model at all? 333 Atwells looks great and they have window wells for Walgreens, which are empty windows with the back of the Walgreen's cabinets sitting a foot and a half away.

A pox on the big three of chain drugstores (CVS, Walgreens, and Rite-Aid). An ounce of vision and you could at least create some interesting displays. But no, we get stupid crap and windows that aren't really windows at all because you all have to operate the same exact way.

I would like to find the executive who started this trend. I know how retail works. This guy and his cronies spread this infectious disease throughout the land. I would like to beat him with a tire iron, or at least a three day old crusty baguette.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
most of the CVS's i've seen have windows, but they're usually behind the checkout counter.

given the location, i imagine walgreens will put something in that space. i mean, they just opened, they deserve a little slack.

Yes, they have windows, because cities insist on them. But, they put the cigarettes and "OTC medicines that people steal to get high" in big cabinets behind the counters and end up blocking the windows.

I dunno, maybe they just don't want people to remember there is an outside world where they might be able to buy stuff in other places.

When was the last time you stepped into a chain store that did have abundant windows and natural sunlight use? The most you get is a front door. At least the drugstores give a little bit at the top of the wall by the front check outs in addition.

there have been plenty of cases where residents of the neighborhood did the research on the blueprint or whatever for a new walgreens being built in their area and they complained about what they didnt like... and changes were made.

sooo why complain if we just sat and waited for it to open.. -->hoping<-- for a new store concept?

And if you go visit the newer stores that opened within the last 5 years here in RI.. they still are all clean and spiffy

What'chyou talkin 'bout, Mikey? The walgreens on North Main is already as filthy and dumpy as the one on Elmwood and its been open for what, 6 months? I dunno why CVS is able to keep its stores neat and tidy but walgreens cant.

On a side notw - I know I will come off as a suburban jackass, but does the new store on atwells have parking or is that just for residents?

gee thanks i work at that one :) and yes.. the store is old and dumpy and small compared to most locations so they try to cram everything they can on the floor..(it used to be a hardware store)..

BUT our customer base has changed along with the dumpiness... I dont work one day where I CAN communicate with 100 % of the customers or where people loiter and steal ..or yell at the top of their lungs because their NHPRI or RIMED wont cover certain meds :)

its really allllll reflective of the neighborhood... sadly where I live its changing for the worse :/

Big box stores are usually set back in large parking lots. I don't like that either, but the cast concrete and lack of windows is at least lost in the asphalt sea. When the windows are right along the street/sidewalk then I do think it would be nice if they were more inviting. This seriously sticks out like a sore thumb compared to the rest of Federal Hill. Hopefully they fill the boxes with something.

That said, just so Mikey doesn't get into a tizzy, CVS in Hope Village is really a sore thumb in this regard, especially considering they knocked down a great theater to build it, and took down trees because they were blocking the oh so important "look we have kleenex for 52 cents" sign below the CVS. God forbid someone driving down Hope St. didn't know about the sales at CVS. The one in Wickford is awful too.

you know where there is a good looking Walgreens?

Nowhere.

Because no one holds the developer's feet to the fire on design standards and they come to the table with the worst possible, cheapest design. The one on NMS put the trees in tree wells too small and took down more trees than they were allowed and it was only because i drove by there every day and let the City Forester know that I think something finally happened.

Rite Aid, Brooks and CVS are no different.

as an aside, when WalMart was coming to down, and before the CPC we tried to get them to make more transparency but they said they couldn't because of security issues. When i asked if the store was staffed 24 hours a day (restocking and security) i was told that, it was. "So, what's the problem?" They still wouldn't do it and why? Because they don't have to unless someone makes them.

Your best wal-mart story is the one about how the developer wouldn't put in any trees but all of the workers thought planting trees was the best idea ever in the history of Providence. Stupid stupid stupid city and its inability to actually enforce pieces of the code that real people in the city of Providence actually get a benefit from.

I know this is an off-topic comment, but it's my topic, dagnabbit.

Actually, Walmart has been working on this for years and has made good strides in it in many of its newer stores. The installation of lots of skylights throughout their stores have significantly reduced their power consumption. Now, we could argue about other things about Walmart, but I am just pointing that out.

Archived