New Walgreen's on Atwells is open, but

brick

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That would be Cornish, who said have windows or suck it, I'm sure. It is sad that CVS will fall over itself to do what a developer like Cornish wants in a lifestyle center (albeit a nice one, I have some photos from last summer I should post), but can't be bothered in a real city.

Exactly, the developers of 333 Atwells most certainly could have told Walgreens 'you will have unobstructed windows looking into your store.' And Walgreens likely would have said, 'OK' (after crying about it for a while). Because I have a feeling they really want to be on that section of Atwells, there's nothing in the pipeline soon or existing space on that stretch to house them, and trying for Broadway would have launched an epic battle. But since the city doesn't mandate it, the developer didn't.

And since we're on the topic, can anyone explain to me why a store like Walgreens would be opposed to having unobstructed windows, is it simply a matter of maximizing display space? The pharmacy (I think it was Ekardt) in the mini mall down the street from my house in Astoria New York had unobstructed windows, they used the space for displays, and had the aisles end at the windows. It brought light into the store and made it feel pleasant (as pleasant as a pharmacy can feel) and it lit that end of the plaza well and put eyes on the street, making the whole block feel safer.

probably because walgreens has a template for their stores and don't like to work outside that template. ever notice how every single walgreens is setup exactly the same? that's my guess. cvs has a few different formats, but i've never been to a walgreens that had a format other than the one.

i wouldn't mind the blocked windows as much if they put something in the display (though what would a pharmacy put in there? vicodin?).

of course they don't like to work outside of their template but tough! I don't like to pay taxes, but guess what? Until providence starts actually taking itself seriously as a city that has something to offer both developers AND residents, we'll always get these half-assed developments on the cheap. Why would Walgreens do it better if they don't have to? Would you?

They do it becauase they want the registers along that front wall. They like to keep a wide variety of things behind the registers. First of course the cigarettes, then the OTC drugs that people like to steal, then a whole bunch of random tchotchkes for people to impulse buy. For non-cashier walls, it maximizes the product/s.f. ratio if you have shelves on the outer walls. This is why you have to demand of these places that they not set up their store this way.

• 4 weeks later...

just thought i'd add that the store is still pretty immaculate inside and they added window displays, which makes the grey walls blocking the windows not look quite as bad. it's not as great as having the windows open completely, but it's a fair compromise.

Not even "art" someone creative could display their merchandise artistically, it could be their thing, the Walgreen with the cool window displays. But I won't be holding my breath, I'll have to be satisfied with the sad beach chair with a bottle of suntan lotion leaning on it.

i just remembered something i've been meaning to post. i had gone to my uncle's in shelton, CT for easter and i passed by a walgreens there. it was an older store with what looked like an older configuration inside. i could tell because the windows were huge and not blocked.

Archived