Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

unc_ajb

Memphis here we come!

3 posts in this topic

My boyfriend has just been accepted to UT-Memphis pharmacy school for this fall, and so we will be moving from our current home in Nashville to Memphis at the beginning of the summer. I am finishing up a masters in social work this spring and will be looking for social work jobs in Memphis once we move. Which brings me to two questions:

1) Since I will be supporting the two of us on my cute little social worker's salary, we are looking for inexpensive apartments/duplexes ($600-$700/month) to rent in a neighborhood that's fun for young adults (we're both in our mid-20s). I love the idea of being able to walk from our place to bars, restaurants, and shopping. Been hearing good things about the Cooper-Young neighborhood. Anywhere else I should look into?

2) For anyone on here familiar with the Memphis social work scene: My passion is working with adolescents, and I'm wondering what local agencies do work with that population. Any tips much appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance. This is a great forum. I have visited another Memphis forum, to remain unnamed, that has a very negative tone with regards to the city. I appreciate your positivity!

My boyfriend has just been accepted to UT-Memphis pharmacy school for this fall, and so we will be moving from our current home in Nashville to Memphis at the beginning of the summer. I am finishing up a masters in social work this spring and will be looking for social work jobs in Memphis once we move. Which brings me to two questions:

1) Since I will be supporting the two of us on my cute little social worker's salary, we are looking for inexpensive apartments/duplexes ($600-$700/month) to rent in a neighborhood that's fun for young adults (we're both in our mid-20s). I love the idea of being able to walk from our place to bars, restaurants, and shopping. Been hearing good things about the Cooper-Young neighborhood. Anywhere else I should look into?

2) For anyone on here familiar with the Memphis social work scene: My passion is working with adolescents, and I'm wondering what local agencies do work with that population. Any tips much appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance. This is a great forum. I have visited another Memphis forum, to remain unnamed, that has a very negative tone with regards to the city. I appreciate your positivity!

i'm a master's level social worker. There are always jobs in Arkansas. You should be able to find somewhere within an hour commute time, or maybe in west memphis/marion. there are about 5-6 agencies that primarily work with school age kids for mostly behavioral issues. you have to be licensed, but that really only requires that you pass a test. starting salaries range from 45k - 60k depending on the agency however.