Next Oldest/Next Newest

Architect

When browsing the latest posts on a particular thread (topic), the idea of "Next Oldest" and "Next Newest" buttons at the bottom are great, except they don't do what you would expect. Instead of going to the "end" (or latest post) of a thread/topic, it goes to page 1 of that thread/topic! Why? At least for me, 99 times out of 100 I want to read the latest post in a particular thread, not jump to the first page of that topic which was likely started months ago.

I would suggest these buttons should go to the most recent post and/or page in a particular thread. Any chance this can be modified? It would be especially helpful for mobile browsing from my iPhone to prevent me from having to go back to the topic screen every time to pick the correct page for the every topic.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When browsing the latest posts on a particular thread (topic), the idea of "Next Oldest" and "Next Newest" buttons at the bottom are great, except they don't do what you would expect. Instead of going to the "end" (or latest post) of a thread/topic, it goes to page 1 of that thread/topic! Why? At least for me, 99 times out of 100 I want to read the latest post in a particular thread, not jump to the first page of that topic which was likely started months ago.

I would suggest these buttons should go to the most recent post and/or page in a particular thread. Any chance this can be modified? It would be especially helpful for mobile browsing from my iPhone to prevent me from having to go back to the topic screen every time to pick the correct page for the every topic.

There are already buttons for going to the latest post in a thread. If you click on the following icon it will take you to the first unread post: newpost.gif

Heh..heh...guess that makes ME a moron!

Seriously...where is the 'legend' for those symbols? I've never understood the meaning or purpose of those in the left column.

There really isn't a directory saying what these icons are for so I can understand how it could be confusing. There is a legend for some that appear at the bottom of the forums, but it isn't all inclusive. There are only a handful if icons left, this one included, that probably need explaination. For all of these icons I'd say you could just click and see what happens, then you know for next time. ;)

• 1 month later...

Neo - I've given this some more thought. My original point was if you are browsing threads, you find yourself (typically) at the newest post at the end of the thread (the last page). There are no buttons or icons on those pages.

What I'm suggesting is that there should be a shortcut to the next newest "post" from within each thread. The point is to NOT go back to the main page! That's a waste of time, and a HUGE waste of time if I'm browsing while mobile (iPhone). I suggest that that button is already there - it just does the wrong thing. At the end of each thread, you find the "next newest" button. Yet rather than take me to the newest/latest post in that thread, it takes you to the FIRST page of the newest (or more accurately the most recently updated) thread, which is often months, if not years old. I can't imagine that being helpful to anyone but a first time visitor to the site or that forum.

No one would want to go to the first page of a post which was most recently updated, they want to go to the newest post in that thread! If it functioned that way, then one could jump from the newest post in one thread to the newest post in another thread without having to jump back to the main page each time. I would love to see the "next newest" button function revised.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you wanting the next newest button to go to the next newest post in the next thread in the forum you are browsing? If so I'm not sure it could be implemented well because you would end up having to go through threads you had no interest in.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you wanting the next newest button to go to the next newest post in the next thread in the forum you are browsing? If so I'm not sure it could be implemented well because you would end up having to go through threads you had no interest in.

Archived