Little Rock Tourism

I did a search and didn't see a thread on tourism in Little Rock. I read an interesting article this morning about the growth of tourism in both Little Rock and the state this past year... despite the economic downturn. The Peabody was still the top grossing hotel in the state, but a big shift for the #2 spot.

Read the article here.

Another interesting article in Arkansas Business focused on Magic Springs & Crystal Falls. Apparently attendance has doubled in the last 5 years! A lot of investment has gone into that park, and I hope that trend continues. However, I'm sure they can find better ways to get the word out about the park than pictures of attendees hanging upside down 150' in the air.

Read the Magic Springs article here.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did a search and didn't see a thread on tourism in Little Rock. I read an interesting article this morning about the growth of tourism in both Little Rock and the state this past year... despite the economic downturn. The Peabody was still the top grossing hotel in the state, but a big shift for the #2 spot.

Read the article here.

There is something to be said for competition...

In addition to Little rock having the #1 hotel. LR/NLR had 6 of the top 10 and 18 out of 40 hotels on the list. Also, LR's Capital Hotel was closed for all but a month-and-a-half of the year.

NWA had 2 of the top 10 and 11 out of 40 of the hotels are in NWA. These numbers should improve when the Crystal Bridges Museum opens.

You think Crystal Bridge will have a big impact on hotel rooms? I don't. It will have a big cultural impact but I think most visitors will be NWA residents or day trippers. The minor league team will probably impact hotel rooms more.

Benton Co has had many small business-oriented hotels open over the last decade. That's generally been the focus there, as opposed to large convention hotels.

Why would a minor league team impact hotel rooms? I've never heard of anyone staying overnight to see a AA ball game.

I think Crystal Bridges will have an effect on hotel rooms. It's going to be one of the premier musuems on American art, and there will be all kinds of folks coming to see it. You will have students, art snobs from NY, etc., all coming to see the art. It may not have a HUGE impact, but I expect it to be bigger than the Naturals.

Why would a minor league team impact hotel rooms? I've never heard of anyone staying overnight to see a AA ball game.

I think Crystal Bridges will have an effect on hotel rooms. It's going to be one of the premier musuems on American art, and there will be all kinds of folks coming to see it. You will have students, art snobs from NY, etc., all coming to see the art. It may not have a HUGE impact, but I expect it to be bigger than the Naturals.

The opposing team, families, and affiliated scouts, etc when an away team is visiting plus visiting Royals staff evaluating the talent. It won't amount to many hotel rooms but could fill a small business hotel.

I agree people aren't driving into town to watch a minor league game.

It is interesting and relevant, but not new news. I believe Arkansas Business reported this a several months ago. To me, what is interesting in the first article was that Hilton has a policy that requires their franchises to perform renovations if competing hotels undergo renovation. The remodels of the Peabody and Capital Hotel achieved that threshold; therefore, the Double Tree renovation switch flipped to the "on" position. How cool would this be if whole neighborhoods adhered to this policy?

I know that it was reported months ago that the DoubleTree would undergo renovations, but some on this board were wondering when they were going to start. Just like it has been announced that the Wyndam was going to be expanded and no one knows when or if that is going to happen. I was just answering a question that some had.

Does the LR/NLR downtown area need another major hotel? With the NCAA Tournament coming to Alltel the following is the results. The Wyndham in NLR and the DoubleTree in LR have been selected as team hotels. The other two team hotels are the Hilton in Midtown and the Crowne Plaza in west LR. The Peabody is booked for NCAA officials and media. The Capital and the Courtyard do not have enough rooms to be team hotels. What is interesting is that these two properties should be at the top of the list this year for revenue per room for all hotels in the state. The Courtyard was the leader this past year.

Does the LR/NLR downtown area need another major hotel? With the NCAA Tournament coming to Alltel the following is the results. The Wyndham in NLR and the DoubleTree in LR have been selected as team hotels. The other two team hotels are the Hilton in Midtown and the Crowne Plaza in west LR. The Peabody is booked for NCAA officials and media. The Capital and the Courtyard do not have enough rooms to be team hotels. What is interesting is that these two properties should be at the top of the list this year for revenue per room for all hotels in the state. The Courtyard was the leader this past year.

The NCAA 2008 Tournament brackets were unveiled this evening, and Alltel will host the following teams:

Memphis (1)

Texas - Arlington (16)

Mississippi State (8)

Oregon (9)

Miami, FL (7)

St. Mary's (10)

Texas (2)

Austin Peay (15)

I think this is a great selection of teams that should bring a great event and fans to the metro area - hopefully they have a great experience. I certainly will at the tournament!

The NCAA 2008 Tournament brackets were unveiled this evening, and Alltel will host the following teams:

Memphis (1)

Texas - Arlington (16)

Mississippi State (8)

Oregon (9)

Miami, FL (7)

St. Mary's (10)

Texas (2)

Austin Peay (15)

I think this is a great selection of teams that should bring a great event and fans to the metro area - hopefully they have a great experience. I certainly will at the tournament!

Archived