Favorite Roads/Drives in West Michigan?

On a good day I can get from Grant to Alpine, in about 25 minutes... But during the summer, the weekends tend to be bad. Especially Memorial day weekend, a 25 minute drive becomes 45 minutes to a hour. Maybe someone has an answer to this, But I have never understood why Lake County has M-37 Passing lanes, while Northen Kent, and Newaygo County do not? Many times I and 10 other cars have been stuck behind a truck moving 45 - 50 mph, with no chance to pass... It does get quite frustrating!

Thats my sort little rant...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well being that I used to work in GR and drove from Greenville everyday - I liked to take some of the more scenic routes to and from work (except in the winter when the roads are bad of course)

There are a lot of great roads to drive through on the NE side of kent county

- Wabasis Ave from M-57 -> M44

- Gavin Lake Ave from M-44 -> Cannonsburg

- Parnell Ave from Cannonsburg -> M-21

- Bailey Drive (the best IMO) from Vergennes -> Lincoln Lake Rd

- Honey Creek from Cannonsburg -> Pettis

- Ramsdell Dr from Cannonsburg -> M-57

- Old131 (Northland Dr) from Rockford -> Big Rapids (and farther north even)

- Fallsburg Park area by Lowell with the covered bridge - another favorite.

- Thornapple Dr from Ada -> Cascade

Also another favorite of mine (if you love driving through country/farmlands) is the back way from Lowell to Belding

From Lowell on M-21 you go north to Hunt St and then left on Flat River Dr. It changes into a lot of different roads but it's the only paved road that goes through all the different farm lands and it's a nice relaxing drive. Sure beats the rat race on Lincoln Lake Rd.

Well being that I used to work in GR and drove from Greenville everyday - I liked to take some of the more scenic routes to and from work (except in the winter when the roads are bad of course)

There are a lot of great roads to drive through on the NE side of kent county

- Wabasis Ave from M-57 -> M44

- Gavin Lake Ave from M-44 -> Cannonsburg

- Parnell Ave from Cannonsburg -> M-21

- Bailey Drive (the best IMO) from Vergennes -> Lincoln Lake Rd

- Honey Creek from Cannonsburg -> Pettis

- Ramsdell Dr from Cannonsburg -> M-57

- Old131 (Northland Dr) from Rockford -> Big Rapids (and farther north even)

- Fallsburg Park area by Lowell with the covered bridge - another favorite.

- Thornapple Dr from Ada -> Cascade

Also another favorite of mine (if you love driving through country/farmlands) is the back way from Lowell to Belding

From Lowell on M-21 you go north to Hunt St and then left on Flat River Dr. It changes into a lot of different roads but it's the only paved road that goes through all the different farm lands and it's a nice relaxing drive. Sure beats the rat race on Lincoln Lake Rd.

It takes longer, but there's more to see, and your car may actually do a little bit better on gas. I'm actually considering a trip this summer of several hundred miles that would completely avoid freeways - not because there aren't any, but to get off the beaten path and see the towns along the way. I have the route all mapped out, I just need to find the time and money to actually do it! :D

Archived