Charlotte-Mecklenburg Park and Recreation Master Plan

monsoon

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uhhhhh, common sense maybe? I honestly don't recall but it did die.

I honestly wouldn't mind an aquarium in Charlotte. It would be a great tourist attraction, however I think our $ is better spent on other things at the moment... say the light rail or parks within center city. But given the attractions we have opening next year like the Nascar HOF, the Arts campus, etc it would certainly be another feather in our cap.

I remember hearing about this years ago. I think there were studies done,and ultimately it was decided that the money should be spent elsewhere. then of coures Atlanta opened their aquarium, so I doubt Charlotte would ever get one.

I remember hearing about this years ago. I think there were studies done,and ultimately it was decided that the money should be spent elsewhere. then of coures Atlanta opened their aquarium, so I doubt Charlotte would ever get one.

Yea, I guess I didn't really take into account the one in Atlanta that much... I believe it's dubbed one of the world's largest? I just found it interesting that the rendering and description of the project was still listed on that company's web site.

THE world's largest.

Until Dubai finishes their's :)

I believe I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but as part of the Charlotte Cultural Facilities Master plan for 5-6 years ago, it was decided that a museum called Greatest Places (a working title) would be pursued. It was to be a sister museum to Discovery Place and focus on maybe 5-7 different ecological systems from around their world. In theory it would be something like a Coral Reef exhibit, a desert, Rain Forest, etc... I believe overlapping exhibits with the Discovery Place would be relocated to Greatest Places, and Discovery Place would replace them with more applied science exhibits.

Below is a link to a park that I would love to build uptown.

http://degenhartfamily.com/wp-content/uplo...skate_plaza.jpg

Anyone wanna help?

That would be hot! It would be nice to get an entire complex like this built. I'm not a big fan of it, but it would be nice to different cultures expressing their creativity. I'll help, as long as I get to wear DC shoes. LOL!

That would be hot! It would be nice to get an entire complex like this built. I'm not a big fan of it, but it would be nice to different cultures expressing their creativity. I'll help, as long as I get to wear DC shoes. LOL!

Here is another pic of the same park.

http://skateboardermag.com/Google-Earth/skate-dcshoes.jpg

I don't want to hijack the thread but since everyone is giving their two cents I thought I would add mine. This park is designed to be a park that everyone can enjoy but is obviously geared towards skating. I'm not sure what it would cost but I'm pretty sure it would be less than 300m and wouldn't take up that much room uptown.

I don't want to hijack the thread but since everyone is giving their two cents I thought I would add mine. This park is designed to be a park that everyone can enjoy but is obviously geared towards skating. I'm not sure what it would cost but I'm pretty sure it would be less than 300m and wouldn't take up that much room uptown.

Looks like a pad for a skyscraper that never got built. Should be plenty of those in downtown now. They could put an exciting one on 210 Trade.

THE world's largest.

And then there's Chattanooga, Charleston, etc.

Aquariums are very expensive to build and maintain, I think it just doesn't make sense for Charlotte.

Would be a great gathering place, hopefully not one for thugs.

And then there's Chattanooga, Charleston, etc.

Aquariums are very expensive to build and maintain, I think it just doesn't make sense for Charlotte.

Would be a great gathering place, hopefully not one for thugs.

I have been to aquariums in Boston, Atlanta, and Charleston. They are filled with kids on field trips year around. I don't think there is an aquarium within 100 miles of Charlotte. That would give us a pool of over 6 million potential customers locally. I would suggest an aquarium, wax museum, and/or a dedicated planitarium near Discovery Place. I believe that they would draw crowds and be another reason for tourists to visit downtown Charlotte. If Charleston and Chatanooga can support an aquarium, I believe Charlotte definately could. Guess I lived in London too long?

I don't see where this type of park would be of any benefit to the city. There are various places to sit and relax in town including Marshall Park. We need a place that is a tourist draw and generates some money. It would be so hot most of the year in such a place as the park and who wants to watch or be around skateboarders other than skateboarders or their parents? I would prefer park benches being placed under oak trees with shade and possibly a gazebo with occasional music or a nice fountain.

I think a skate park would be very progressive for Charlotte. It would break the stiff banking mode. Plus on the weekendS Charlotte is DEAD.

Marshall Park SUCKS. It's only good for protesting. Adding another boaring Marshal Park to the city would have no purpose.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't see where this type of park would be of any benefit to the city. There are various places to sit and relax in town including Marshall Park. We need a place that is a tourist draw and generates some money. It would be so hot most of the year in such a place as the park and who wants to watch or be around skateboarders other than skateboarders or their parents? I would prefer park benches being placed under oak trees with shade and possibly a gazebo with occasional music or a nice fountain.

Don't be so quick to snub your nose at the idea of a skate park. They bring in large competitions which draw large crowds (and activity,) which would be a major boost for uptown. It also gives a gathering place for juveniles in uptown. This could keep them off of railings and other areas of uptown where they actual could pose a threat with uneven pavement and bystanders.

This site is all about pledging diversity within urban cores. My own personal gripe: I'm sick of being hit up for spare change in uptown, I'd rather be nearly missed by a skateboarder any day. At least peddlers in other cities provide entertainment in exchange for donations. Work for your money, don't just walk up and ask. Sing or play an instrument on the street with a hat or box on the sidewalk. It works in other cities, why not Charlotte?

As for the topic at hand, we need any kinds of attractions that will bring in crowds of all demographics on the weekends. I walked around uptown with some friends this past weekend and, while it was busier than usual, it still wasn't what I had in mind when I wanted to show off Charlotte's urban flow. An aquarium seems like the next step for Charlotte. We will soon have a slew of museums and the NHOF to bring people in. Only a few more attractions left til we run out of legit/feasible ideas.

I think if Charlotte ever does build an aquarium, they need to go all out and build something similar (in Uptown) to the national aquarium in Baltimore.

like this..

Wow, that is amazing! Mark Baltimore on my list of places to visit sometime soon :camera:

Archived