Great World of Sound

Did anyone see the Great World of Sound? It was a movie that was shot in Charlotte and (unlike others) actually set in Charlotte.

I burned it to my iPod and watched it on my recent trip to Cleveland.

The movie is about two guys who unwittingly find themselves working for a shyster record company that "signs" new talent by making them pay money for upfront studio time. Great movie, cool story, good acting, and it was neat to recognize things around Charlotte.

The movie has a sense of desperation about many of the characters, so many of the shots were in our not-so-nice part of town.

I highly recommend it.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah this was a great movie. Its funny even when they were suppose to be in other cities, they used shots from Charlotte, the Polk building was used in a shot that was suppose to be in Indianapolis. Highly recommend the movie it brings an Indy flare and feel to Charlotte that we don't see much.

Here's the film's website: http://www.greatworldofsound.com/film/

It describes the filming process for some of the "auditions." Just like the actual song scamming process, they put ads in the newspaper to lure actual musicians to the interviews and then filmed them with hidden cameras interacting with the actors. It produced some really great moments.

The film's out on DVD now and at Blockbuster's if anyone wants to rent it.

Here's the film's website: http://www.greatworldofsound.com/film/

It describes the filming process for some of the "auditions." Just like the actual song scamming process, they put ads in the newspaper to lure actual musicians to the interviews and then filmed them with hidden cameras interacting with the actors. It produced some really great moments.

The film's out on DVD now and at Blockbuster's if anyone wants to rent it.

Yeah, I actually worked on this film. It won a Gotham Award, and was an official Sundance selection. It played at Ballantyne for a week, and had a small premiere at the Visulite. A lot of former NC School of the Arts students worked on this film, with a majority of them now living in Charlotte. The director was a NC School of the Arts student, but now lives in NY. We got a lot of support from local businesses and friends that gave us some freebies, as this was low budget in exchange for a movie credit. We actually got help from the NC Film Commission, but unfortunately that doesn't really help in promoting a movie. The movie was promoted as much as it could be with the budget we had. It's kinda hard to get your movie scene in local movie theaters when most of the movie theaters are owned by large companies whom have deals with major distributors. Our distributor was Magnolia who has a deal with Landmark Theaters, so it was show nation wide at some Landmark theaters that have more support for art-house/indy type films.

Jackalopes:Wings

Open Kitchen:Restaurant scene

Thomas Street:Liquor Bottles

Bojangles:Bojangles

Dunhill:Hotel lobby scene(kicked-out)

Charlotte Douglas: Airport scenes

There where more but I can't remember all of them. The movie consisted of many Charlotte locals, and some footage was done with out the people knowing they where filmed until afterward (Camera Trick).The movie is now on DVD, so you could probably rent it at Netflix, or buy it from Amazon. You'd be surprised just how many movies are filmed in Charlotte that you don't even know about.

Yeah, I actually worked on this film. It won a Gotham Award, and was an official Sundance selection. It played at Ballantyne for a week, and had a small premiere at the Visulite. A lot of former NC School of the Arts students worked on this film, with a majority of them now living in Charlotte. The director was a NC School of the Arts student, but now lives in NY. We got a lot of support from local businesses and friends that gave us some freebies, as this was low budget in exchange for a movie credit. We actually got help from the NC Film Commission, but unfortunately that doesn't really help in promoting a movie. The movie was promoted as much as it could be with the budget we had. It's kinda hard to get your movie scene in local movie theaters when most of the movie theaters are owned by large companies whom have deals with major distributors. Our distributor was Magnolia who has a deal with Landmark Theaters, so it was show nation wide at some Landmark theaters that have more support for art-house/indy type films.

Jackalopes:Wings

Open Kitchen:Restaurant scene

Thomas Street:Liquor Bottles

Bojangles:Bojangles

Dunhill:Hotel lobby scene(kicked-out)

Charlotte Douglas: Airport scenes

There where more but I can't remember all of them. The movie consisted of many Charlotte locals, and some footage was done with out the people knowing they where filmed until afterward (Camera Trick).The movie is now on DVD, so you could probably rent it at Netflix, or buy it from Amazon. You'd be surprised just how many movies are filmed in Charlotte that you don't even know about.

Archived