My House needs to be reshingled and painted

bloodyrocker

is there anyone that you've used in the past that you'd like to pass along? anyone I should stay away from?

I'm looking to have work done this season and need all the help I can get finding a good contractor. I've talked to a few but every time I tell them I need references they seem to fade away and this of course raises red flags with me..

My house is in Pawtucket, historic and shingled. the shingles need to be replaced on 3 sides, including dormers, stained and the trim scraped and painted.

I'm hoping you knowledgeable UP people can point me in the right direction.. Help!

506993325_1f662cd53e_m.jpg

506993295_6f3a09d0be_m.jpg

27385248_20dc8d6360.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
is there anyone that you've used in the past that you'd like to pass along? anyone I should stay away from?

I'm looking to have work done this season and need all the help I can get finding a good contractor. I've talked to a few but every time I tell them I need references they seem to fade away and this of course raises red flags with me..

My house is in Pawtucket, historic and shingled. the shingles need to be replaced on 3 sides, including dormers, stained and the trim scraped and painted.

I'm hoping you knowledgeable UP people can point me in the right direction.. Help!

I've actually had bad luck with PPS referrals. :(

As far as carpentry goes, I can highly recommend a guy named Dave Russell. If you're interested PM me and I'll give you contact info. With painting, get lots of estimates. A friend of mine got estimates that were as much as 10K apart.

Lovely house, btw.

I don't feel comfortable badmouthing contractors here, but I had a real loser last year who I hired to clean out my gutters and in turn also powerwashed my whole freakin house. I had just purchased the house which needed to be painted, but having it powerwashed just made it look all the more like it was it abandoned. Yikes. If he was prepping to paint the house great but he wasn't hired to do that. He was awful to deal with afterwards.

Jason you know where to contact me and I will give you the name of the guy. We got a bunch of bids to paint our house for this summer. They ranged from $6000 to just over $18000! That high bid was just crazy over the top, but I hear contractors will do that if they are really busy and don't really want to do it. They will throw out a crazy high bid and if anyone bites they will take it. Easy money.

I am hoping for the best with this painter. We have checked out his references and things look good. I'm not looking for a masterpiece just a good paint job that will last a few years.

I'm new to this board but if there is private mail I will give you the name of the guy to steer clear of and the one I have picked to paint my house.

Yeah, I think a good rule of thumb is to go with a midrange bid. If it's too cheap you'll probably get what you pay for and have to do it all over again and if it's too high, well, you get hosed. I've learned this the hard way on both counts.

With the PPS-recommended floor guy he did 2 coats of water-based poly on my fir kitchen floor and it looked good for 3 days or so. We've since had someone else do 4 coats oil-based and it looks great.

As for the high bidder, I don't think they were really interested in the project so they just threw out a number to see if we'd bite.

Archived