Our infrastructure needs a lot of work

Sonrise

I'm in Raleigh this week on business and I was able to bring my wife and daughter. This is the 2nd time we've been here since we moved to G'ville from SoCal. My wife just drools with her mouth agape because she loves the fact that all of the roads here are plenty wide enough and are tree lined with sidewalks (what a novel idea). Signage is again, very large and noticable and almost all of the traffic lights actually hang on poles not wires. That is a major and pretty much my only gripe about Greenville and the upstate in general. My wife commented that these factors make Rakeigh, "look so nice and upscale" in her words. Gtanted population has a lot to do with this but we should start now while we can. This would really help in making our city and area into what most of us want it to be.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, did you know that many cities look to Greenville as a model? Don't let this small stuff blind you from the blessings in Greenville. The signage in the city limits are right above you as you approach the intersection. The city is doing a great job. Its the county that needs to step it up.

Actually, did you know that many cities look to Greenville as a model? Don't let this small stuff blind you from the blessings in Greenville. The signage in the city limits are right above you as you approach the intersection. The city is doing a great job. Its the county that needs to step it up.

The County definitely could stand to learn a lot from the City. Before long, it's going to become much MORE obvious when you're in the City limits of Greenville, assuming the County stays on its current course... The City is working to bury power lines, only uses poles for new and replacement traffic signals, is constantly adding sidewalks and landscaping... Unfortunately, due to the size of the City limits (which may be what makes all this possible) may hurt the impression with visitors. You don't have to go far to leave the City limits and therefore the positive details that may impress people...

Yes, you guys are right, when I said Greenville, I was more specifically mentioning the 'burbs and county. The city is really doing a good job, my bad. Two things that stick out in my mind and I want everybody to pay attention to this for the next few weeks. I live up in Greertucky and it boggles my mind how many people we see either walking, jogging or riding their bike on the grass right next to highway 14, or 101 or Locust Hill as cars go wizzing by because not only is their no sidewalk for them to safely navigate their way, there's not even an inch of shoulder, it's road and then grass. Very dangerous not to mention it really dampers any motivation to exercise.

Secondly, someone mentioned this a couple of weeks ago but many, many streets have multiple names, even though it is one continuous road, i.e Brushy Creek/Old Spartanburg/East North. (One road, 3 different names). For the person that's a 5th generation Greenvillian, no biggie, but we are a major tansplant destination and this situation is a very confusing and frustrating one.

This afternoon we went to Trader Joes in Cary and again my wife was asking why we don't have a "Cary" in Greenville (again, I mean the county). I just told her to be patient, we will. Roads really need to be widened though, asap. Woodruff is a joke and all 3 roads that I mentioned in the 1st paragraph should all be at least two lanes each way from 11 to Wade Hampton. My dad lives off of W. Georgia Rd and it's a joke that it's only 1 lane each way, an absolute joke. I read recently that it's the most dangerous rd in the county and it's going to get worse with all of the new and proposed development.

I'm not trying to talk down our area, I really love it. I just really want it to reach it's potential.

Secondly, someone mentioned this a couple of weeks ago but many, many streets have multiple names, even though it is one continuous road, i.e Brushy Creek/Old Spartanburg/East North. (One road, 3 different names). For the person that's a 5th generation Greenvillian, no biggie, but we are a major tansplant destination and this situation is a very confusing and frustrating one.

Yes, you guys are right, when I said Greenville, I was more specifically mentioning the 'burbs and county. The city is really doing a good job, my bad. Two things that stick out in my mind and I want everybody to pay attention to this for the next few weeks. I live up in Greertucky and it boggles my mind how many people we see either walking, jogging or riding their bike on the grass right next to highway 14, or 101 or Locust Hill as cars go wizzing by because not only is their no sidewalk for them to safely navigate their way, there's not even an inch of shoulder, it's road and then grass. Very dangerous not to mention it really dampers any motivation to exercise.

This afternoon we went to Trader Joes in Cary and again my wife was asking why we don't have a "Cary" in Greenville (again, I mean the county). I just told her to be patient, we will. Roads really need to be widened though, asap. Woodruff is a joke and all 3 roads that I mentioned in the 1st paragraph should all be at least two lanes each way from 11 to Wade Hampton. My dad lives off of W. Georgia Rd and it's a joke that it's only 1 lane each way, an absolute joke. I read recently that it's the most dangerous rd in the county and it's going to get worse with all of the new and proposed development.

I'm not trying to talk down our area, I really love it. I just really want it to reach it's potential.

• 1 month later...

Archived