Bass Pro Decatur, opening 2009

HSVTiger

we shall see, the I-565/I-65 Interchange is one of the highest profile locations in the state that hasn't seen alot of development.

This may be the location of this rumored retail development

By Karen Middleton

[email protected]

A major project, possibly a shopping center that could include a Bass Pro Shop, is in the works for Decatur-annexed portions of south Limestone County, but officials are remaining mum-until Monday.

Decatur attorney Barney Lovelace, who represents the landowner, said Thursday a confidentiality agreement prevented him from discussing the project before Monday.

Athens Electric Department Manager Gary Scroggins spent Wednesday afternoon meeting with Decatur officials to discuss energy needs in Decatur-annexed areas.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decatur officials on Monday will announce a "billion dollar mixed use development," rumored to be anchored by the wildly popular Bass Pro Shops.

The Decatur-Morgan County Convention and Visitors Bureau sent out a news release today announcing news conference Monday at the Decatur-Morgan County Chamber of Commerce.

Published reports quoting sources close to the deal have said the development would be in south Limestone County in the Decatur city limits and would be anchored by Bass Pro Shops. Bass Pro Shops are massive outdoors specialty stores, much coveted by economic developers because they draw customers from hundreds of miles.

Mayor Don Kyle and other local officials have declined to comment on what the announcement will be, citing confidentiality agreements

Ahhhhhhh, I almost couldn't contain my excitement when I read this!!!

I think the main reason it's taken so long to have development out there is because of all the disputes over land use, and Decatur's decision to be so "stand off ish" as far as significant development goes.

This is a PRIME location. I am sooo happy!

I think this is good for everybody if it is indeed near the 565/65 interchange. Billion dollar development? I hope this is something like a large outlet mall this is a prime location I always felt the state wasn't utlizing the 65/556 interchange. Its halfway between Birmingham and Nashville, and also between Decatur/Madison and Huntsville.

Bass Pro Shops to open store near Decatur

Birmingham Business Journal

Bass Pro Shops has announced plans to build a third store in Alabama - this time off Interstate 65 between Decatur and Huntsville.

The shop will anchor the first phase of a $200 million, 540-acre, mixed-use development called Sweetwater located in North Alabama.

The big-name sporting goods retailer is currently building a shop in Leeds, east of Birmingham, and opened its first store in Prattville outside of Montgomery last summer.

In addition to Bass Pro Shops, the 125-acre first phase in Sweetwater will include 300,000 square feet of additional retail space, as well as a hotel and convention center.

According to a news release, Bass Pro is scheduled to open by spring 2009 and the hotel and convention center will open by early 2010.

Future phases of the $1.3 billion Sweetwater development will include 1 million square feet of retail space, 825,000 square feet of medical and office buildings, an entertainment venue to seat up to 8,000 people and 2,700 homes.

This is actually a $1.3 Billion mixed use project called Sweetwater. Here is the link: /www.al.com/business/index.ssf/2008/03/bass_pro_convention_center_pla.html

I am curious what other retailers will be in the "300,000 square feet of additional retail space in the first phase." I am wondering if the Polo/Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein, Allen Edmonds, etc. outlets currently located in Boaz will be interested in relocating to this project. Logically this location would be far better than where they are presently. It is closer to Huntsville and Decatur and will have high visibility to all of the traffic on I-65. The Watermark Outlets in Birmingham are definitely off the beaten path. Also, other possible outlets could be an Offf Fifth - Saks Fifth Avenue as well as a Last Call for Neiman Marcus(although this is less likely as there are not many NM's in this part of the country.)

Also, I am curious if this will affect Debartolo Development's plans for The Peaks at SouthChase just a few miles east at Zeirdt Road.

This is actually a $1.3 Billion mixed use project called Sweetwater. Here is the link: /www.al.com/business/index.ssf/2008/03/bass_pro_convention_center_pla.html

I am curious what other retailers will be in the "300,000 square feet of additional retail space in the first phase." I am wondering if the Polo/Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein, Allen Edmonds, etc. outlets currently located in Boaz will be interested in relocating to this project. Logically this location would be far better than where they are presently. It is closer to Huntsville and Decatur and will have high visibility to all of the traffic on I-65. The Watermark Outlets in Birmingham are definitely off the beaten path. Also, other possible outlets could be an Offf Fifth - Saks Fifth Avenue as well as a Last Call for Neiman Marcus(although this is less likely as there are not many NM's in this part of the country.)

Also, I am curious if this will affect Debartolo Development's plans for The Peaks at SouthChase just a few miles east at Zeirdt Road.

Yea, AL 20, has been one of the most dangerous roads in the valley for years, and will continue to be. Once this is built, or during construction, the city, state, and county will probably all look at ways to make this road more functional. If it is left how it is currently, it would definitely dampen the popularity of the development. I would expect the area to put money towards some kind of interstate style interchange like the one to Galleria Blvd in Hoover.

I can see it now, 5:15, traffic will be a nightmare. Wait it already is...

Ok, so apparently that area of Decatur, at the interchange, is known as Sweetwater. I think that's obviously the reason for the naming.

EDIT:

So, I was reading the Springfield Business Journal and it said that some cities have had a HARD time getting a Bass Pro. Miami spent four years, and one city is spending million on tax rebates. The article said that half of the visitors to Bass Pro come because of the museum type attractions like aquarium, mounts and water feature that match the geography of the area they're located in.

Their water features do tend to be infamous. I can't wait to see how they display the Tennessee Valley. I think that placing the store in Decatur was an easy choice of location for them. Not because I'm being arrogant. But, when you think of a place in North Alabama, a place that combines a HUGE amount of wildlife with an economy that could support a store, and the interstate access to advertise one and allow for traffic, plus a central location, Decatur would be at the top of the list if you ask me. No offense to Huntsville, it's just too far off I-65, and the river doesn't have much influence on the culture. Wheeler doesn't have it's headquarters in Huntsville, and most of the city is located in NE Alabama. Decatur, has all the traffic between Nashville and Birmingham. It's perfect.

No offense, I'm just citing the pluses. Of course, another plus is that Huntsville IS so close. That's another BIG one, part of the detail I mentioned about the economy that could support a store. Decatur's always been the more blue-collar town, with residents more likely to buy a boat than a tux. Huntsville's a bit opposite.

EDIT #2:

I keep finding these articles about the project in business journals all over the country!

Ummm, revenue, expected: $1.6 Million for city of Decatur general fund, $375,000 for Decatur City Schools, $280,000 for Limestone General Fund, and $2.3 Million for Limestone School System. That's some big money!

Ok, so apparently that area of Decatur, at the interchange, is known as Sweetwater. I think that's obviously the reason for the naming.

EDIT:

So, I was reading the Springfield Business Journal and it said that some cities have had a HARD time getting a Bass Pro. Miami spent four years, and one city is spending million on tax rebates. The article said that half of the visitors to Bass Pro come because of the museum type attractions like aquarium, mounts and water feature that match the geography of the area they're located in.

Their water features do tend to be infamous. I can't wait to see how they display the Tennessee Valley. I think that placing the store in Decatur was an easy choice of location for them. Not because I'm being arrogant. But, when you think of a place in North Alabama, a place that combines a HUGE amount of wildlife with an economy that could support a store, and the interstate access to advertise one and allow for traffic, plus a central location, Decatur would be at the top of the list if you ask me. No offense to Huntsville, it's just too far off I-65, and the river doesn't have much influence on the culture. Wheeler doesn't have it's headquarters in Huntsville, and most of the city is located in NE Alabama. Decatur, has all the traffic between Nashville and Birmingham. It's perfect.

No offense, I'm just citing the pluses. Of course, another plus is that Huntsville IS so close. That's another BIG one, part of the detail I mentioned about the economy that could support a store. Decatur's always been the more blue-collar town, with residents more likely to buy a boat than a tux. Huntsville's a bit opposite.

EDIT #2:

I keep finding these articles about the project in business journals all over the country!

Ummm, revenue, expected: $1.6 Million for city of Decatur general fund, $375,000 for Decatur City Schools, $280,000 for Limestone General Fund, and $2.3 Million for Limestone School System. That's some big money!

I agree Decatur is a prime location for this project and will benefit the most from this project but the rest of North Alabama will see a GREAT benefit as well. A project like this should be built directly off the interstate so Huntsville is too far unless it uses annexed land of of 65 or the 565 portion thats right by I-65. You're more likely to buy a boat than a tux comment though is kind off misleading, I know many people in Huntsville that own boats and love outdoors just as much as people in Decatur. Besides I don't consider engineers to be as white collar or tux wearing as you make them seem. Its not like Huntsville is made up of bankers, and other financial or high end business. But there are great assets the geography of Huntsville does offer that Decatur doesn't have as much of such as the foothills of the Appalachians, and the caves. There are numerous streams, river systems, and small lakes within the Huntsville area just like Decatur. The national speleological society headquarters is in Huntsville. Further east from Huntsville going towards Guntersville and Scottsboro it gets even more beautiful. So I think the museums at Bass Pro should feature all of the North Alabama which each area has its own beauty to offer. I just want to add my comment cause you make it seem like Huntsville doesn't have any nice outdoor features to offer like Decatur does which I disagree because I believe Huntsville has as much to offer. I think the main reason that Decatur was chosen was because their site was off of 65 as opposed to their natural geography being so much better than Huntsville. That 65 site is prime and directly between Nashville and Birmingham. The Tennessee River being a more important player in Decatur probably also played a factor. But the Huntsville City Limits are only about 300 feet on the other side of the interstate from this development so it is possible it could have been built in Huntsville as well, but congratulations to Decatur for pursuing this project and making it happen. Hopefully the cities of Madison, Decatur, and Huntsville will start to build more towards each other. Its already been happening with Huntsville-Athens. The 565 area between 65 and Madison is being wasted it's prime property with prime access to Interstate 65 and should be developed. Also I would like to see this region cooperate as one, our chances of getting road money and other developments are a lot better if the Huntsville Decatur-Guntersville/Fayetville/Scottosboro region of 600-700K is considered as opposed to the Decatur region of 150K, and Huntsville 380-400K as completely separate entities. Chances of that happening are greater if the cities start developing towards each other.

I can't think of a better location for a Bass Pro than that. I think Florence has been going crazy trying to get one for a couple of years. So this location it between Florence and Huntsville and on 65. It will make a great sleep-over stop for people heading to the beach from up north. If done right it could be a real destination stop.

Does Memphis have a Bass Pro? Maybe this will finally get that Memphis to Atlanta highway going... :)

I can't think of a better location for a Bass Pro than that. I think Florence has been going crazy trying to get one for a couple of years. So this location it between Florence and Huntsville and on 65. It will make a great sleep-over stop for people heading to the beach from up north. If done right it could be a real destination stop.

Does Memphis have a Bass Pro? Maybe this will finally get that Memphis to Atlanta highway going... :)

Another article about possible spinoff of 565 from it.

Sweetwater a boon to the area

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

By JOHN PECK

Times Staff Writer [email protected]

Decatur project couldattract other businesses

A proposed $1.3 billion retail-entertainment-office development in Decatur at Interstate 65 and Alabama 20 could attract spinoff businesses for Huntsville that want to be close to the action.

Huntsville planning officials gave that assessment Tuesday in reaction to a proposed mixed-use, mega-development announced for Decatur.

http://www.al.com/business/huntsvilletimes....xml&coll=1

Archived