UCF's new Performing arts center and music hall

Pieson

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I like best is the integration of the arts. the PAC serves as a gateway to the UCF artistic community, and that feeling of community was lacking when I attended due to the spread out nature of the different disciplines. The park behind the lobby between the visula arts building and the humanities building will be a place for musicians actors painters and sculpters to meet and maybe see through each other's eyes, making each better in their own field.

• 10 months later...

arts2.jpg

Some new renderings of the UCF Complex II.

When completed, the complex will house theaters, performing and rehearsal spaces, as well as administrative and faculty offices for UCF's theatre and music programs. It will occupy a space next to the existing Visual Arts Building, creating a vibrant arts campus within the larger university setting.

There are some older designs, but with more comprehensive feel of the building at http://www.fp.ucf.edu/images/projects/Arts...-supplement.pdf

arts2.jpg

Some new renderings of the UCF Complex II.

When completed, the complex will house theaters, performing and rehearsal spaces, as well as administrative and faculty offices for UCF's theatre and music programs. It will occupy a space next to the existing Visual Arts Building, creating a vibrant arts campus within the larger university setting.

There are some older designs, but with more comprehensive feel of the building at http://www.fp.ucf.edu/images/projects/Arts...-supplement.pdf

you know, I'm a Gator. UF has their PAC off of Hull out by 34th St. next to the museum annex and other facilities and the new hotel & CC complex. That being said, UCF's PAC I think will be situated much better in conjuction with its campus, as UF's is way out on the SW corner of its main campus.

I agree that this will be a great addition to not only UCF, but to Orlando as well.

you know, I'm a Gator. UF has their PAC off of Hull out by 34th St. next to the museum annex and other facilities and the new hotel & CC complex. That being said, UCF's PAC I think will be situated much better in conjuction with its campus, as UF's is way out on the SW corner of its main campus.

I agree that this will be a great addition to not only UCF, but to Orlando as well.

This building will hold the theatre and music department offices, classrooms, lab space, rehearsal rooms, dance studios, practice studios, music library, etc.

it also has 2 each performance spaces for the theatre and music departments. Analogous to the Constans Theatre at UF.

In the long-term plan at UCF, there is also to be a road house, like UF's on Hull and an art museum. These will be on either side of Centaurus Blvd, facing Alafaya, creating more arts interaction with the community.

No, Colburn's not the Admin Building (that's Millican). Colburn is in there though - it's the building that just looks like a brick.

I think upon completion of the new performing arts center, Colburn is supposed to be cleared our and renovated and converted into another administration building (I think lots of the arts programs moving to the PAC are currently occupying that building)

• 4 weeks later...

Colburn Hall is right there - can't miss it.

It's enclosing the courtyard on the right side. They just put some kind of glass skylight on it in this photo.

The only addition to this, really, is the building itself, which will in turn create the courtyard.

Colburn Hall is right there - can't miss it.

It's enclosing the courtyard on the right side. They just put some kind of glass skylight on it in this photo.

The only addition to this, really, is the building itself, which will in turn create the courtyard.

Colburn Hall is on there... its not the building on the right side. That is another new building for the college of arts and humanities... Colburn is the one next to that. Both the courtyard and the new building are currently parking lots.

They started construction on the new parking garage to replace all of these lost spaces this week. Hopefully that means this project will start soon as well...

Colburn Hall is on there... its not the building on the right side. That is another new building for the college of arts and humanities... Colburn is the one next to that. Both the courtyard and the new building are currently parking lots.

They started construction on the new parking garage to replace all of these lost spaces this week. Hopefully that means this project will start soon as well...

aent, you seem to be all knowing with regard UCF construction. A couple of questions:

1 New garage ... is that going in between greek row and the alumni center?

2 I see they've begun contruction (I guess new midrise housing) across Alafaya from the Cent Fl blvd entrance. Further south on Alafaya (almost to Lokhanotosa (sp?)) there is an old, squat apt complex that is fenced off and it looks like it's about to be demolished. Do you know what's up there?

aent, you seem to be all knowing with regard UCF construction. A couple of questions:

2 I see they've begun contruction (I guess new midrise housing) across Alafaya from the Cent Fl blvd entrance. Further south on Alafaya (almost to Lokhanotosa (sp?)) there is an old, squat apt complex that is fenced off and it looks like it's about to be demolished. Do you know what's up there?

If you are referring to a little yellow 2 story apt complex next to Walgreen's that would be Addision Place. I havn't been by there in a while but I remember about a year ago walking by there and they were rezoning to put more apartment units on the same site. (I assume by demoing the old buildings). If you say there's a construction fence around it, I'd assume they're starting construction.

1) Yup, exactly, here's a rendering:

site.jpg

2) They actually finally started construction there? I'll have to stop by to check it out, it wasn't going a few weeks ago ;)

The one by science dr/lokhanostosa was Addison Place and is being demo'd and replaced by a new University House that is supposed to be much more dense. There is three new apartment complexes that are supposed to be going in soon, all of a very similiar character, in that they include parking garages, 4 story, and 2 of which have a first floor retail component:

a) Northview - at both corners of McColloch/Lockwood (orion)... this one will be part of campus, fully run and managed by UCF. It is supposed to be a faith based community that will feature a faith center split into 3 parts: a Catholic Student Center, a Hillel Jewish Student Center, and a common area in the middle that will contain offices and event space for any other religious group on campus to use. It also contains a bit of retail space on the first floor of the northwest portion of this project. 600 beds and 2 parking garages all built in 1 phase... http://northviewinfo.com/

b) University House - the one you're referring to at Alafaya/Lokanotosa replacing Addison Place... upon completion of both phases it will have 995 beds: http://www.inlandac.com/Content/PDFs/Centr...daFactSheet.pdf

c) Sterling UCF - Alafaya across from the Central Florida Blvd entrance... upon completion of both phases it will have 2734 beds:

http://www.humphreys.com/project.aspx?projectID=106 (only covers phase 1)

Between the 3 projects, it will add 4,329 beds right next to UCF

Between the 3 projects, it will add 4,329 beds right next to UCF

Super info. Thanks! So I'll ask more.

What is up with the lots where the chevron gas station used to be and the one accross the street from it just east of CB&S (and falafel sp?)? Will it connect to Sterling?

Also, several years back there was talk about taking down the university plaza (liquid cellar ... knight library etc.) and building some mid-rise units there. Is that no longer in play?

Go Knights!

Super info. Thanks! So I'll ask more.

What is up with the lots where the chevron gas station used to be and the one accross the street from it just east of CB&S (and falafel sp?)? Will it connect to Sterling?

Also, several years back there was talk about taking down the university plaza (liquid cellar ... knight library etc.) and building some mid-rise units there. Is that no longer in play?

Go Knights!

I'm not sure. I think the chevron was taken by imminent domain by the county for the alafaya/university intersection improvements... not sure why as all the improvements they are doing are on the other side of the road. No idea what they are really planning on doing with it. Aren't there still a few homes in the way between university and what is cleared for Sterling? I don't think it can be related to that, unless they are still planning on knocking down more in future phases?

I can't see much happening withe university plaza very soon with the economy the way it is... and with the amount of housing going up, I'm not sure how much demand there is going to be for even more. That place is definetly in really, really bad shape now though. Knights Korner and the UCF Federal Credit Union moved to the new shopping center at Gemini/Alafaya, so thats even more vacant space in there. The bank on the corner of University/Alafaya is currently occupied by Hillel, which will be moving into the new faith community mentioned above before Fall 2010, so that will be empty as well. Hopefully something can be done with that land... as its such a great and important location.

The other project we should be seeing soon is the new entrance to UCF... I heard they want to start it as soon as the university/alafaya intersection construction is complete. The new entrance is supposed to range all the way from Gemini to Central Florida Blvd, including some kind of fence along with landscapingall along Alafaya. Unfortunately not much has been released for it yet, but they've already done a few things for the entrances... they're working on a new Welcome Center sign for the end of the Central Florida Blvd entrance and planted tons of palm trees along that entrance as well as a few by the University one as well (and a few more around the rest of campus). The new entrance is supposed to include some stuff from UCF, athletics, UPI (knights plaza), and a few other campus affiliated groups so it should be really interesting to see what they came up with.

Archived