UCF's new Performing arts center and music hall

Pieson

and the new complex across from Central Florida Blvd was originally supposed to be 6-7 stories instead of 4...

When I drove by it looked like that thing would be about 6-7 stories tall....at least the hieght of the towers. Its precast concrete....like the towers was.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I drove by it looked like that thing would be about 6-7 stories tall....at least the hieght of the towers. Its precast concrete....like the towers was.

The parking garage is 5 stories... unless plans have changed since it was posted online... not sure, I haven't driven by it in the past few weeks, its not on my way to UCF. I'll probably stop by tomorrow to check it out. I hope it is back to the taller plans.

The parking garage is 5 stories... unless plans have changed since it was posted online... not sure, I haven't driven by it in the past few weeks, its not on my way to UCF. I'll probably stop by tomorrow to check it out. I hope it is back to the taller plans.

I work in Research Park and go home via University. I'm pretty sure the garage is at 7 stories, but I'll double check when I go home for lunch.

I work in Research Park and go home via University. I'm pretty sure the garage is at 7 stories, but I'll double check when I go home for lunch.

Yeah, I drove by it today and it looks like its already taller then what was posted on their website. Good news.

• 1 month later...

it's actually... www.ucfsports.com

From the plans I've seen the current construction is the first phase ... classrooms for Theater and Music. It does not include the large performance halls. The parking area north of the former oak-filled median and west of the VAB will be restored to parking once this phase is complete. Parking entrance for this and the parking between VAB and Colburn will be accessed from the side road that goes by the VAB to the student union.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Great blog you have there. It does appear as though UCF is always under construction but it's a good thing.

I have many memories of daily parking in the lot where the new performing arts center currently stands.

Great blog you have there. It does appear as though UCF is always under construction but it's a good thing.

I have many memories of daily parking in the lot where the new performing arts center currently stands.

Thanks for looking.

Surface parking lots are slowly disappearing as they build new parking garages. This is a good thing, IMO.

• 5 weeks later...

Looks kind of "high school" for now. But keep in mind, most of the facade here will be removed when they add the two performance theaters in a few years. This phase is just music and theater classrooms. Most of the exterior is designed to be removed in the next phase as the buildings expand in almost all directions.

• 3 months later...

UCF’s new recruitment tool: $25 million School of Performing Arts

ucf-school-of-performing-arts2-300x200.jpg

As prospective students of the performing arts arrive at the University of Central Florida for a special event on Saturday, they will be treated to faculty recitals, speeches and refreshments.

But the star of their tour will be the new School of the Performing Arts building, a $25 million project completed in August — just in time for the new school year.

“It was tight,” said Paul Lartonoix, assistant dean of UCF’s College of Arts and Humanities.

In fact, the building still smells new — and some rooms are awaiting finishing touches.

But the offices and classrooms are complete, and on a recent weekday students were tap dancing to “All That Jazz” in a new studio, while down the hall a professor lectured a costume-design class on Elizabethan-era menswear.

The 75,000-square-foot building has a working theater-lighting lab so students can gain practical experience. And there’s a music-instruction lab with music and computer keyboards at each student’s desk that are all hooked into a sound system controlled by the instructor.

Continue reading UCF’s new recruitment tool: $25 million School of Performing Arts

The fascade is supposed to be removed as soon as they have enough money to build phase 2, they didn't want to put much money into it when it would be taken off relatively soon. Hopefully the groundbreaking for phase 2 will be soon, that is what will make the building look really impressive. I've been inside, and it does look very nice inside with high tech features, very tall ceilings, etc... they had to cut out the plans for the courtyard as well to get the building opened before this semester, which will help them save money as they won't need to be renting office space in research park, which they've been doing for the past few years and offer much higher quality classes... I think the exterior and interior will both be extremely impressive once they finish... the question is when... at least a good portion of it was built now so the final building wasn't waiting for full funding

The fascade is supposed to be removed as soon as they have enough money to build phase 2, they didn't want to put much money into it when it would be taken off relatively soon. Hopefully the groundbreaking for phase 2 will be soon, that is what will make the building look really impressive. I've been inside, and it does look very nice inside with high tech features, very tall ceilings, etc... they had to cut out the plans for the courtyard as well to get the building opened before this semester, which will help them save money as they won't need to be renting office space in research park, which they've been doing for the past few years and offer much higher quality classes... I think the exterior and interior will both be extremely impressive once they finish... the question is when... at least a good portion of it was built now so the final building wasn't waiting for full funding

Well it's good to see UCF make such an important and highly valuable investment in performing arts. Hopefully this will add strength to a burgeoning performing arts community throughout all of central Florida.

It would have been mutually benefical for UCF to maintain it's partnership with the city and merge with DPAC. They've been aggresively taking a town vs. gown stand on nearly all fronts lately, but this one is especially misguided.

The on-campus stadium has turned out to be a very smart move. Nothing has helped recruiting better than to get recruits on campus. Many recruits who went to CB games never saw the campus and bought into the commuter school myth. It has also helped greatly with season tickets and with getting more students to the games that wouldn't make the trip to the CB, a tradition they are likely to keep after they graduate.

An on-campus performing arts center will have it's positives too. Adding to the UCF entertainment complex (The Arena and The Venue for concerts and sports, the stadium for football and soon to be PAC) will benefit all the venues. Surrounding business will become more viable. People coming on campus for one venue will have their eyes opened to the other venues. It might be a missed oportunity for downtown, but not at all misguided for UCF.

It would have been mutually benefical for UCF to maintain it's partnership with the city and merge with DPAC. They've been aggresively taking a town vs. gown stand on nearly all fronts lately, but this one is especially misguided.

Got to disagree... the city isn't willing to do too much for UCF and DPAC obviously wouldn't be viewed as UCF's venue or be easily accessible to students, not adding too much benefit to the university community... just as the on campus stadium and athletic village was a success for improving the environment for athletics... UCF isn't a part of downtown and the city's leadership has no desire to be a part of UCF. The best thing UCF can do for Orlando is do exactly what it takes to improve itself in rankings until the city is more willing to work with them on this other stuff.

Besides, this building is supposed to have smaller venues as replacements for the existing venues on campus that are really terrible and overcrowded, this will replace the Theatre building and Rehersal Hall with a new venue at about 600 seats, and I believe UCF still plans to work with DPAC when that happens as well... perhaps the shows will be split between the two of them... but with the lack of mass transit options, students aren't going to go to DPAC, especially as many of them don't have cars. This will make sure they have this option within walking distance... UCF isn't moving to downtown at this point obviously so it should be well integrated as the center of East Orlando... with density around it built up.

^Most students are not going to attend performing arts events, the program needs to have broad appeal. The stadium decision was strategize and wise, but art clusters tend to thrive in urban environments surrounded by artist clientele. UCF is a non-urban campus surrounded by sprawl. There is little, if any, "density" building going on in East Orlando so I cannot immediately see how building the performing arts center on campus is going to help surrounding business.

Here is a good example of how art clusters can be mutually benefical: Promoting Arts Clusters

^Most students are not going to attend performing arts events, the program needs to have broad appeal. The stadium decision was strategize and wise, but art clusters tend to thrive in urban environments surrounded by artist clientele. UCF is a non-urban campus surrounded by sprawl. There is little, if any, "density" building going on in East Orlando so I cannot immediately see how building the performing arts center on campus is going to help surrounding business.

Here is a good example of how art clusters can be mutually benefical: Promoting Arts Clusters

From my experiences and what I've heard, almost every show shows in the current theater is sold out, so the demand is there... Now, the current theater is very small, with one stage at 300 seats and the other and only 127 seats, so I don't know how they'll do with venues that are 600 seats....

There are many students do like going to it, they have a huge arts department that they also plan on growing, in addition to people who like supporting their friends or do enjoy the shows at a pretty cheap price, along with some people of the surrounding communities. Building it downtown would say they can't go to it... UCF isn't doing professional performances here, its run by students, its not going to get the higher class of people going to it when its competing with the professional organizations... its a different audience... this building isn't replacing DPAC nor is it meant to, its a different facility...

Archived