Winchester on Wealthy

Rhino6885

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I want to thank everyone for the initial enthusiasm for our renovation of the Sommerdyke building on Wealthy St. I know about UP, and it's definitely one of my favorite websites. I did think about UP as one avenue for support, but I felt asking for support here wasn't in keeping of the spirit of why I joined. It was many months of reading posts here, that I decided it was time to join in order to share my opinions on many of the projects or business in and around Grand Rapids.

My wife, Jessica, and I are currently employed at different establishments in Grand Rapids. It's possible we've served many UPlaneters. Since joining this site, it's possible I may have written opinions on here about some establishments, including where I work, and I'd hate to have these posts taken out of context as attemps to sway opinion or as advertisement for our project.

We're very excited about this project and the opportunity to be part of the continued renovation along Wealthy St. I would be happy to answer any questions outside of Urban Planet regarding the proposed project.

Thank you all

Paul Lee

I'll try post some pictures as soon as I figure out how.

I'm glad to see the Winchester won approval. Did anyone else find this quote in the press hilarious?

"Only Jim McMullen, the owner of Tatum Bookbinding, which caters to evangelical Christian groups, opposed the business because of its outdoor seating area. He called alcohol a sin and said "it's insulting to be flaunting your sin outdoors."

Didn't Jesus drink wine?

I'm glad to see the Winchester won approval. Did anyone else find this quote in the press hilarious?

"Only Jim McMullen, the owner of Tatum Bookbinding, which caters to evangelical Christian groups, opposed the business because of its outdoor seating area. He called alcohol a sin and said "it's insulting to be flaunting your sin outdoors."

Didn't Jesus drink wine?

Didn't Jesus drink wine?

Thanks everyone for the support. Having never spoken before the Planning Commission before, I will say the experience was a little overwhelming. Overall I'm very pleased with the outcome, and couldn't believe the amount of support. One of the commissioners made a comment about the inappriateness of receiving a support letter from Detroit, while Director Shulz made reference to her flooded email inbox.

As far as having to close the patio early, it was a little disappointing, but by no means dampens our excitement going forward. Being a business with no prior track record of operating in the neighborhood, I found the 11pm closing time to be fair. Someone did mention these hours could be amended in the future once we've established a positive track record.

I'll post pictures....with some help. GRDadof3, I tried contacting you through UP, but had some difficulty.

Thanks everyone for the support. Having never spoken before the Planning Commission before, I will say the experience was a little overwhelming. Overall I'm very pleased with the outcome, and couldn't believe the amount of support. One of the commissioners made a comment about the inappriateness of receiving a support letter from Detroit, while Director Shulz made reference to her flooded email inbox.

As far as having to close the patio early, it was a little disappointing, but by no means dampens our excitement going forward. Being a business with no prior track record of operating in the neighborhood, I found the 11pm closing time to be fair. Someone did mention these hours could be amended in the future once we've established a positive track record.

I'll post pictures....with some help. GRDadof3, I tried contacting you through UP, but had some difficulty.

I'm also religious and personally I find things like that are what give people that practice relgion a bad name and the reputation of thinking they're better than everyone else, believe what you want, and let everyone else do as they want, it's your religion, not your world.

& Yes, Jesus did drink wine, whenever communion is celebrated in church technically wine is supose to be drank but it has been replaced with grape juice, fake wine, etc etc.

• 1 month later...

Archived