Winchester on Wealthy

Rhino6885

It has been a while since there's been an update.

We're currently wrapping up the interior demo. This should be done next week, with the exterior stairwell also coming down. I'll try to post some pictures tomorrow.

We've had to resubmit plans for this months HPC meeting and next months City Planning meeting. We ran into a roadblock in an effort to capture historical tax credits. The exterior stairwell was ruled part of the original building structure, by the state, so we've gone back to the drawing board to resubmitted new drawings to the local HPC.

As we've made these changes, the project scope has also changed slightly (it's bigger :shok: ). In an effort to increase both interior and exterior floor space, we've encountered a few hiccups along the way, which we wish to address with the Planning Commission meeting next month.

Things have been delayed slightly, but in the long run we feel it'll be much better for everyone.

I'm itching for a little shuffleboard myself ...

• 2 months later...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely restore the neon. It's a classic.

Joe

I hope one of the Uptown signs gets placed in the Winchester.

The future location of the other Uptown sign is still a work in progress. These signs are huge with zoning, funds, security, and placement being issues. Diamond Island at Cherry, Lake Drive, & Diamond is a great location for an Uptown sign. Questions to ask are: do we hang the sign on a post or place it on the ground/structure, do we light up the neon or use the current streetlights to light it up....

~RLee

• 1 month later...
Well, let me just say that I'm definitely not that bald in person. :D

Until this spring, I was unaware we had these signs, let alone storing them in a recently demolished rear building. All the demo work is finished, upstairs and down, and construction is slated to start this week. We have ideas for using a sign (there's 2 smaller neon signs not in the photo that say Fur Cleaning), but we'll have to wait and see.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Jeff for posting the pictures. The building is looking great and the new facade (behind the enclosure) is amazing.

As for the rest of the facade, we're waiting (& waiting) for the electric lines to be moved from the old poles to the new poles. Once that is complete, the second floor facade improvements will continue.

• 1 month later...

Th Winchester on Wealthy opens soon and I'm always excited for a new bar in walking distance! I had been in the upstairs there once about five years ago. The place was trashed and my band was going to play at a kegger up there but the owners son got cold feet. Anyway, after watching the video about the WInchester on Rapid Growth it looks like quite the renovation. I feel like the Winchester is really closing the largest gap between new businesses on Wealthy. Hopefully the renovations along Wealthy will continue. What other kinds of businesses would people like to see along Wealthy? There is a good variety of food and a couple of bars, a little bit of entertainment and shopping but what else or what should be next?

Also, I visited the new Brickroad Pizza the other night and last night I had dinner from Wing Heaven. I'll be honest, I'm glad to see a new restaurant (Brickroad Pizza) butthe pizza I had (build your own, I had two toppings) and it was pretty basic pizza. It didn't make me think, "I have GOT to come back for THEIR pizza". There was nothing really great about it that made me wantn it more. I'm sure other food is good but the pizza was so so. Regardless, its a new business and I'll take it. Plus its next to the Meanwhile, a bar I visit fairly regularly. Can't wait for spring and drinking in the beer garden. I'd like to see more of those. Is the Winchester going to have one?

Th Winchester on Wealthy opens soon and I'm always excited for a new bar in walking distance! I had been in the upstairs there once about five years ago. The place was trashed and my band was going to play at a kegger up there but the owners son got cold feet. Anyway, after watching the video about the WInchester on Rapid Growth it looks like quite the renovation. I feel like the Winchester is really closing the largest gap between new businesses on Wealthy. Hopefully the renovations along Wealthy will continue. What other kinds of businesses would people like to see along Wealthy? There is a good variety of food and a couple of bars, a little bit of entertainment and shopping but what else or what should be next?

Also, I visited the new Brickroad Pizza the other night and last night I had dinner from Wing Heaven. I'll be honest, I'm glad to see a new restaurant (Brickroad Pizza) butthe pizza I had (build your own, I had two toppings) and it was pretty basic pizza. It didn't make me think, "I have GOT to come back for THEIR pizza". There was nothing really great about it that made me wantn it more. I'm sure other food is good but the pizza was so so. Regardless, its a new business and I'll take it. Plus its next to the Meanwhile, a bar I visit fairly regularly. Can't wait for spring and drinking in the beer garden. I'd like to see more of those. Is the Winchester going to have one?

Archived