Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChiefJoJo

SAS to develop solar power array

8 posts in this topic

It really is about time someone did something Greene in North Carolina.. I think this is good and perhaps SAS will put them on their current buildings.. make it look sort of like Google campus...

Jim Goodnight does some good things, but I have a feeling the actuaries had a say so in this too with energy prices climbing.

Cool. 4 acres is a large amount of space. Personally, I think we'll see some pretty amazing things from the compay Nanosolar within a few years. They're already able to mass produce a very thin photovoltaic film and have its costs be as cheap as coal powered energy. I saw an article recently that talked about having streets act as photovoltaic energy collectors.

We'll likely see a lot more of moves similar to SAS's in the near future.

^^Goodnight is as much a visionary as NC has which makes him probably more of an outsider especially in regards to his analysis on the decline of American education, and namely the NC public schools. I wish he had been more vocal on sustainability earlier though.

From the article:

Right now, the largest solar project in the state is a privately financed solar array on NCSU land next to the RBC Center in Raleigh.

I don't think the 'green' aspect of this project can counteract the distincty 'ungreen' aspects of a car-centric suburban-spawl type office park with acres of parking lots and its contributions to traffic and fuel consumption.