Crime and justice in the Triangle

swimmer8866

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still wonder if people still want to believe gang markings are not a big deal? In areas of Cary, Raleigh Durham, Chapel Hill , Garner there are still sneakers hanging from electric wires, there are markings spray painted on sidewalks and buildings etc. Why is it that the authorities do not REMOVE these markings QUICKLY?

Why should people waiting for their trial wait even longer to make room for a higher profile case? Does due process care how many ribbions are worn? The N&O had a story on a homicide case going to trial more than *two years* after the suspects were arrested.

There is a graffiti cleanup crew, but I don't know if it is for Raleigh or Wake County. They can't drive around looking for markings, and rely on public reports. They try to have markings removed within 24 hours of the report. But if no one reports it, then it won't be removed. Also, if someone re-draws the mark after it is cleaned up, it has to go through the process again.

As for the area where the Latino-targeted crimes were being committed, a body was found 3:30 am Sunday 3/23. The N&O and WRAL stories currently do not have any details other than name and age.

Interesting statistic as of today march 28th there have been 7 murders in Raleigh since Jan 1.. Newark NJ 9 murders as of Jan 1.

I must say I have a creepy feeling about parts of Raleigh that I never had in Newark. You knew the trouble in Newark NJ is pervasive, Raleigh is every bit as dangerous.

Interesting statistic as of today march 28th there have been 7 murders in Raleigh since Jan 1.. Newark NJ 9 murders as of Jan 1.

I must say I have a creepy feeling about parts of Raleigh that I never had in Newark. You knew the trouble in Newark NJ is pervasive, Raleigh is every bit as dangerous.

My $0.02, from the drought thread:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...st&p=916803

Another elephant in the room:

See misconception debunked, "Aren't the wrong people breeding?" http://vhemt.org/biobreed.htm#wrongpeople

There're too many people. Those who can provide for the new people they create are depleting more resources (how many more schools have been built in Wake Co in the past 10 years alone?). Those who can't provide for the new people they create are frantic trying to provide for them, and therefore aren't there to raise them. (The fatherless comment somewhere above.)

Bigger picture, I know, but growth is a double edged sword. Everyone says, "Hey we're at half a million! Yay!" without thinking of all the implications, like increased social ills, drained reservoirs, traffic jams and sprawl because we're trying to get away from each other.

/end rant :mellow:

• 4 months later...

Another fight breaks out between teens on Capital, this time guns were invovled and a police officer was assaulted. The incident broke out just north of Peach College. Some witnesses say they saw gang signs used, but police will not say at this time whether gangs were involved:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/wake/story/1165339.html

If this trend keeps up I would hope that city council would impose a city-wide curfew on teens.

Another fight breaks out between teens on Capital, this time guns were invovled and a police officer was assaulted. The incident broke out just north of Peach College. Some witnesses say they saw gang signs used, but police will not say at this time whether gangs were involved:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/wake/story/1165339.html

If this trend keeps up I would hope that city council would impose a city-wide curfew on teens.

Having a teens night at a club is asking for trouble. Its not the YMCA...its was Reds. What kind of money can you make off people that aren't old enough to drink anyway....cover charges?I am not sure what the answer is, but kids in cars with too much time on their hands seems to be something to think about, but the guy arrested was 31. So many things...the justice system, family support systems, education, taxation and the haves vs have-nots. I had some russian chick the other night telling me how she earned the money for her Lexus and did not like having to pay taxes for people who did not want to work.....what a simplistic view.....no problem for her until the kid from the broken family on food stamps with the father who was locked up for smoking a joint and mother who dropped out of school because she was pregnant at 15 years old walks up to her and points a gun at her demanding her purse......then there's a problem. I know all the kids getting in trouble aren't from this storyline, plenty are bored suburban kids, but I think most of them (as with myself) grow out of and learn from mistakes...

There are a lot of parks and rec programs in place, but some kids think they are too cool for school... Gunplay here but not at Triangle Town Center? Capitol is pretty wide from Reds to the Sprint store parking lot where more fights broke out, though traffic is pretty light there at night, especially on Sunday.

And why is a 31 year old resisting arrest at a teen night at a beach music club (Reds)? Even Black Tie has been quite lately.

Yesterday's carjacking/suspect shooting sounded crazy too. Luckily I wasn't in the area at the time, but could only imagine what people there were going through. It does show that Dix is part of "justice" and hopefully will be going forward.

Someone was shot and later died near the New Bern/Raleigh Blvd intersection. Gun based crimes seem to be a lot higher this year so far... the impact of quick growth is starting to hit home in Raleigh.

Yesterday's carjacking/suspect shooting sounded crazy too. Luckily I wasn't in the area at the time, but could only imagine what people there were going through. It does show that Dix is part of "justice" and hopefully will be going forward.

Archived