Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beerbeer

Young professionals are first wave

4 posts in this topic

http://www.courant.com/news/local/hc-apart...0,1973199.story

It's not that young people never lived downtown and now they do, he said, "but there's continuing to be more and more, it's steady. It's not a big rush of people, but you do notice people incrementally, more and more and more. And they're in their 20s and 30s."

The folks at Hartford 21 say they're not surprised by the popularity of their one-bedroom units.

"We expected the young people to be the pioneers," said Chuck Coursey, spokesman for Hartford 21 owner Lawrence R. Gottesdiener.

"There may be the temptation to say, 'We should have just built a lot more lofts and one-bedrooms,' but that would have been very short-sighted," Coursey said. "To say [empty-nesters are] not there this year doesn't mean they're not going to come in the coming months."

In the five months since he's been there, Healey said, he's seen change.

When he first moved last summer, the elevators were empty and so was the gym.

These days, he said, "the elevator will stop on other floors, the gym will be full."

Not long ago, Healey went downstairs to pick up pizza he ordered and saw someone moving in with a car with Colorado tags. He introduced himself.

"I just think it's interesting that people are coming from as far as Colorado, young kids, and they're moving downtown."

GOOD ARTICLE!

It gives some occupancy info too.

Trumbull on the Park: Has a waiting list of 10 for studios but has some vacancys for two beedrooms.

Sage Allen: all studios and one bedrooms are taken while 4/19 two bedrooms are vacant. 74/78 units occupied, for what should be 89 residents not counting the student housing.

Hartford 21: All 97 one beedrooms are rented, 106/160 of the 160 two bedrooms are vacant. 150 total units taken for what should be 205 residents.

I enjoyed reading this article as well. When I first moved to Hartford about 3 years ago, I was debating between 55 on the park and west hartford. I chose west hartford for lack of knowing the area (moving from St. Louis), but I wish I had taken the chance on Downtown. This article makes me feel guilty about that. maybe something will open up this summer...

I enjoyed reading this article as well. When I first moved to Hartford about 3 years ago, I was debating between 55 on the park and west hartford. I chose west hartford for lack of knowing the area (moving from St. Louis), but I wish I had taken the chance on Downtown. This article makes me feel guilty about that. maybe something will open up this summer...