I-84

Hiramicus

I don't think I-84 is a good highway by any means but it's serviceable. It's not like New York City has the best highways in the world and people still managed to do business there, visit there and spend money there. I mean, think about the mess Boston has been the last decade with the Big Dig and people found a way to get into the city. The state and Hartford have to fix itself first before worrying about a Big Dig or any crazy highway plan.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He must be an anti-car zealot. Seattle greatly needs this highway. Take a look at a map. 99 is not only the back-up option to I-5, it is also the link to West Seattle, Ballard, the port, and the northend. 99 is the 2nd most important road in Seattle. Getting rid of it would be beyond insane. The real question is tunnel or viaduct.

Also, odds are we get a new Governor next year, so expect the viaduct to move forward. The current Governor did nothing but punt on this issue. Remember 99 is a state highway, not a city one. Even if the regressive anti-car zealots get their way within the city, they will never get the state on board.

Who is Hartford competing with? Look across the lake from Seattle at Bellevue. Remove 99, make Seattle impossible to get to for a large % of the population and you just encourage more urban centers in the periphery and more sprawl. We need a tunnel, not the insanely shortsighted, stupid idea of dumping 99 altogether in some inane dream that we get out of cars and on to the bus.

Your speaker fed you a bunch of crap about Seattle. I'd ask for a refund. BTW, our likely next Gov. came out yesterday in favor of a tunnel.

As for 84, rerouting it around the city isn't a bad idea, as long as there remains easy to access the core. In the Seattle area, we really need to realign and expand 405 to take the pressure off of I-5, which passes right through thw heart of downtown Seattle.

I would be against any plan that would make the perception of Hartford as seemingly harder to get to than before. Many people in the burbs would not want to take a city street from the West End to Downtown. For those of us familiar with the city, it seems silly, but suburbanites get lost when they come here and would be apprehensive. I, ideally would like to see a tunnel instead of an urban boulevard for 84. I'm not a big highway hater though, I jump on and off in Hartford daily to avoid the traffic lights and other delays on the streets. I use them heavily. I do agree that 84 has damaged some real estate in the city, but am more in agreement with Beerbeer that it can be overcome. I also heard from a source within the planning department that the viaduct will not be removed for at least 30 years, so it's not happening. I hate to burst some people's bubble, but do not hold your breath for 84 to be removed through Hartford.

I would be against any plan that would make the perception of Hartford as seemingly harder to get to than before. Many people in the burbs would not want to take a city street from the West End to Downtown. For those of us familiar with the city, it seems silly, but suburbanites get lost when they come here and would be apprehensive. I, ideally would like to see a tunnel instead of an urban boulevard for 84.

• 1 month later...

I didn't want to start a new thread on this so I dug about 3 pages to find it.

I received an email about the next meeting (6-12-08) on I-84. They encouraged me to pass along the email. Share your ideas (or objections).

The Hub of Hartford : A Citizens' Forum

The Future of I-84 through Hartford , Part II

With City and State officials currently considering options for the I-84

highway viaduct that stretches through Hartford, this forum is an

opportunity for you to understand the options and to voice your opinion.

Come contribute your opinions, ask questions, and contribute to the

emerging plans for the highway.

HOSTED BY:

Hartford Public Library

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Hartford Public Library

500 Main St

Light Refreshments: 5:30pm

Program: 6:00pm

Co-sponsored by:

The Hub of Hartford Steering Committee

With experts available from:

The City of Hartford

The Capitol Region Council of Governments

The Connecticut Department of Transportation

The stakeholder neighborhoods and institutions

the slide show did not work, but I was told it will be put online in a PDF on hartfordinfo.com .org .net or whatever the lib web site is.

I am not sure what really happened, but people spoke and people listened, and people answered questions.

I do not think progress is a term that will be associated with this for quite some time. It seems to me that more gets done after the get together than during. these should really be called activist networking events since I was approached by several people looking for contact info and what group i am with.

Archived