Light Rail Tallahassee

TD

Spokane is the only one within 100,000 residents (in the metro) of Tallahassee that is proposing a Light Rail. Any city similar in size to Tallahassee such as Huntingdon, WV is planning streetcar service, which is lower capacity and less extensive. A streetcar running a loop of downtown might be affordable, though not particularly useful. A true light rail system running from the airport to downtown to say, Bradfordville, would be many times more costly.

Also, upon reading about Spokane's proposal, they would use a railroad running along a pre-existing transportation corridor, which is something Tallahassee lacks.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Speaking of which, mracca, I use to ride Tri-Rail a lot when I lived down that way especially to and from the airports. However it was notoriously never on time and sometimes up to an hour late. I believe they have corrected that problem w/the double tracking of the complete line now though??"

You are correct Ponther they were often late... not to be gross but a few times I recall was because some would throw them selves in front of the train or cars would rush to get through the intersection and not always make it. Which would be another issue Tallahassee would have to consider, would be safety issues for the public. But yeah they did include a 2nd rail. They were finishing it up by the time I left. I wonder how things improved.

"Speaking of which, mracca, I use to ride Tri-Rail a lot when I lived down that way especially to and from the airports. However it was notoriously never on time and sometimes up to an hour late. I believe they have corrected that problem w/the double tracking of the complete line now though??"

You are correct Ponther they were often late... not to be gross but a few times I recall was because some would throw them selves in front of the train or cars would rush to get through the intersection and not always make it. Which would be another issue Tallahassee would have to consider, would be safety issues for the public. But yeah they did include a 2nd rail. They were finishing it up by the time I left. I wonder how things improved.

StarMetro is currently beta testing Google Transit for route planning. I have tested it and I think it is awesome. I can't wait until it launches (assuming it meets quality standards and does launch).

Try out some of the example searches when you click on a city that has already launched the service in the list on the Google Transit home page.

[edited for clarity]

It would be nice if Tally start running all of StarMetro on Bio-Diesel. The sad part about Tally is everything is grown up so much in the City there is not enough room for to much now. Heck the roads cant even be expanded downtown any more with out knocking down buildings.

Archived