GRDadof3

Frederik Meijer Gardens - $115 Million Expansions/Enhancements

41 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

Agreed. I don't go as much as I should, but every time I do I am blown away by how much there is to see. Also the Japanese garden is really world class and worth the trip alone.

I'm embarrassed to say I have not been to the Japanese Gardens yet. I even photographed them under construction and have never seen the finished product. 

8 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I'm embarrassed to say I have not been to the Japanese Gardens yet. I even photographed them under construction and have never seen the finished product. 

The longer you wait, the better they get as they grow into themselves :)

• Like 2

The Meijer Gardens is commissioning sculptor Juame Plensa to make a piece for the new Garden Pavilion called "Utopia," according to the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2019/03/09/us/ap-mi-meijer-gardens-acquisition.html

The artwork consists of 19-foot-tall (5.8-meter-tall) portraits of four young women of different backgrounds and nationalities. It will be located in the Welcome Center's new Garden Pavilion room. The sculpture is being created in Barcelona, Spain, and carved from white marble.

You probable know Plensa's work and didn't know it. 

Plensa_8643.jpg?itok=FxjfbMLF

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Very cool! Can't wait to check out the new welcome center once it is complete.

I think it will feel more "world-class." Hope it's not off-putting to the generally "older" midwestern crowd that frequents the place. :)

37 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

Found this aerial drone shot of the work going on, on their website. Dang. 

Holy crap!   Looks like an aerial shot that could have been taken in 1994 when they were building the place, to begin with!  

• Like 1

Frederik Meijer Gardens held a ribbon cutting on Monday, January 11, 2021 for their new welcome center. It took a long time (under construction since 2017), but it looks like it was worth the wait! More photos at the article link below -

Meijer Gardens unveils ‘beautiful’ new welcome center
Brian McVicar | MLive
January 11, 2021

GRAND RAPIDS, MI — There’s a new gateway to Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park. On Monday, President and CEO David Hooker held a ceremonial ribbon cutting for a new, 69,000-square-foot welcome center designed to provide visitors with a more spacious and inviting entryway to the gardens. The welcome center features slick granite walls, tall windows, sculptures, a lounge, and more. It houses Meijer Gardens’ ticketing services, coat room, restrooms, volunteer center, library and other services...

2021_01_11_Grand%20Rapids_Frederik%20Mei

Source: Cory Morse | MLive

• Like 1

Meijer Gardens is amazing. So excited to see the new welcome center in person. One of my favorite artists at FMG is Jaume Plensa. I knew that he was commissioned to create a marble “sculpture” for one of the buildings. It’s going to be part of the welcome center, but must not be installed yet (as photos would definitely highlight it).

I was searching around today and found this video of “Utopia”. It’s amazing (and I can imagine it being talked about worldwide for years to come). It’s a cool video (even if you aren’t into art). The marble  slabs they used are insane. 

Joe

• Like 2