Sign in to follow this  
GRDadof3

Frederik Meijer Gardens - Expansions/Enhancements

36 minutes ago, joeDowntown said:

P.S.  You need to visit the Gardens. :)

Agreed. I don't go as much as I should, but every time I do I am blown away by how much there is to see. Also the Japanese garden is really world class and worth the trip alone.

41 minutes ago, Pattmost20 said:

Agreed. I don't go as much as I should, but every time I do I am blown away by how much there is to see. Also the Japanese garden is really world class and worth the trip alone.

I'm embarrassed to say I have not been to the Japanese Gardens yet. I even photographed them under construction and have never seen the finished product. 

8 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I'm embarrassed to say I have not been to the Japanese Gardens yet. I even photographed them under construction and have never seen the finished product. 

The longer you wait, the better they get as they grow into themselves :)

• Like 2

The Meijer Gardens is commissioning sculptor Juame Plensa to make a piece for the new Garden Pavilion called "Utopia," according to the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2019/03/09/us/ap-mi-meijer-gardens-acquisition.html

The artwork consists of 19-foot-tall (5.8-meter-tall) portraits of four young women of different backgrounds and nationalities. It will be located in the Welcome Center's new Garden Pavilion room. The sculpture is being created in Barcelona, Spain, and carved from white marble.

You probable know Plensa's work and didn't know it. 

Plensa_8643.jpg?itok=FxjfbMLF

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Pattmost20 said:

Very cool! Can't wait to check out the new welcome center once it is complete.

I think it will feel more "world-class." Hope it's not off-putting to the generally "older" midwestern crowd that frequents the place. :)