Parade of Downtown Living "Celebrating City Life"

blondie

Mark your calendars, UP'ers. This year's Parade of Downtown Living (sponsored by Grand Rapids Magazine and National City) is scheduled for June 20, 21 & 22. Tickets price is $10. All proceeds go to The Dwelling Place. Free bus service for all three days provided by transportation and parking sponsor DASH.

Condominium projects on board as of today (3/18/08): The Boardwalk, Union Square, Riverhouse, The Residences at McKay Towers, Fox Lofts and Fairmount Square.

I'll provide more details as they are available.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mark your calendars, UP'ers. This year's Parade of Downtown Living (sponsored by Grand Rapids Magazine and National City) is scheduled for June 20, 21 & 22. Tickets price is $10. All proceeds go to The Dwelling Place. Free bus service for all three days provided by transportation and parking sponsor DASH.

Condominium projects on board as of today (3/18/08): The Boardwalk, Union Square, Riverhouse, The Residences at McKay Towers, Fox Lofts and Fairmount Square.

I'll provide more details as they are available.

Good question! Tall House was on the first tour in 2006. I believe they were on the tour in 2007 as well. Both times were out of a portable space set up on Ionia. Haven't heard much about the project lately and it doesn't look like they're on the tour this year.

*fish

Is Tall House dead?

• 2 months later...
Here are some updates for the 4th annual Parade of Downtown Living, scheduled for June 20, 21 & 22.

Park and Ride Free

Park free at 3 locations...

Ride the FREE Parade tour busses. Volunteers will be on board to answer questions about downtown living, give directions and point out the highlights of the Parade. The city busses are marked Parade of Downtown Living and come along about every 20 minutes from each stop on the tour. ...

Any UPers willing to act as knowledgeable tour guide for the Parade of Downtown Living? The Tour is looking for a few informed and spirited people able to share downtown lore and wisdom on the tour buses. For more information, please call Lindy at 616-459-3133. All she asks is a two-hour commitment and a passion for downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

Where/how do you get tickets for this?

I saw another thread where they mentioned you should print out the form and fax(?) it in.

Is there any way to get them online? In person at/before/during the event?

I'm not sure I've even seen a fax machine in 2 or 3 years. :-)

Where/how do you get tickets for this?

I saw another thread where they mentioned you should print out the form and fax(?) it in.

Is there any way to get them online? In person at/before/during the event?

I'm not sure I've even seen a fax machine in 2 or 3 years. :-)

Begin Rant -

Okay, in today's tough times, one would expect that dropping $20 for two people to walk-through potential home sales would get you your money's worth. Especially considering this is a marketing and sales opportunity for the developers and sellers of said homes. Heck, many cities don't charge a dime for such tours, because they know many folks will opt out if there is a fee.

We were sadly disappointed by the properties at Fox Lofts, RiverHouse, and Icon on Bond. Fox Lofts offered a sales pitch with potential floor layouts taped to a wall in a little lobby. RiverHouse's ante was their sales model, which is open to the public and free all the time. Icon on Bond did not participate, which is strange to me because if they still plan on selling empty units here, people need to see what there is to be bought.

I guess I understand that in a slow economy and slumping housing market, developers are afraid to put money into model condos (ones that aren't purchased yet) if they think that they won't sell that unit. But c'mon, don't charge me 20 bucks and show me something I can see for free any day of the week or bring me into a "tour stop" and hand me printouts of a potential fllorplan I can just get online!!!

That being said, I was very impressed by the Boardwalk, Union Square, and The Fitzgerald. Both the Boardwalk and Union Square offered many unique designs and units to see, and the Fitzgerald not only showed us one complete (and beautiful) unit, but took us through a tour of the rest of the old building, giving us a behind-the-scenes sneak peek at things to come.

I think as a developer, if you are asking people to put down money to see your stuff, make sure you are ready for the event and make a good showing of it. If not, don't participate.

END RANT

We didn't go on the tour, since the only really 'new' addition seemed to be Fox Lofts (and McKay if it was a participant), and I knew they didn't have a finished product.

However, we did check out the 49 Monroe Center Condos (don't know the actual name- above Marado), which were siphoning the publicity from the Parade. There was one white box unit (2nd floor facing Monroe Center), and there are a few others in the back that are finished and were for sale by owner (nice to see how people furnished them and actually lived in them). We got to see their rooftop deck, which was fun and had neat views. I was impressed that even the back units had pretty nice views. All the units had good storage, too.

Begin Rant -

Okay, in today's tough times, one would expect that dropping $20 for two people to walk-through potential home sales would get you your money's worth.

We were sadly disappointed by the properties at Fox Lofts, RiverHouse, and Icon on Bond. Fox Lofts offered a sales pitch with potential floor layouts taped to a wall in a little lobby.

That being said, I was very impressed by the Boardwalk, Union Square, and The Fitzgerald.

END RANT

Archived