Storms roar through SC

krazeeboi

I know we didn't experience anything as notable as a tornado tearing through the downtown of one of our major cities like Atlanta this past weekend, but some of our smaller towns experienced a lot of damage this past weekend due to the storms and tornados we experienced. In particular, my own hometown (on my mother's side) of Branchville, in southern Orangeburg County, experienced pretty extensive damage. Many of the buildings were severely damaged, including the town hall. The town is known as being the site of the world's first railroad junction, and there was a historic section of downtown used for the "Railroad Daze" festival that was pretty much wiped out. A downtown landmark, The Churn restaurant, which specializes in homemade ice cream, was severely damaged as well. The town's only grocery store was practically ripped to shreds. Thankfully, in all of this, there was no loss of life--but the town will never be the same. The storms did similar damage in other smaller towns in the Midlands and Lowcountry as well.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only the three tornadoes in the viewing area of the Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville-Anderson TV market have been covered extensively via the news in the Upstate (at least on WYFF). Apparently the strongest of the three was the EF3 in Newberry County. I believe ATL's was only an EF2 they said.

It will be a difficult time for those who must rebuild or physically heal, but my thoughts and prayers are with them all.

^Definitely. The sad thing in the case of my hometown is that it looks like they will receive little in the way of state aid. Hopefully our representatives in Washington can pull some strings to get some federal funds flowing through the pipeline.

Archived