Serrano Lofts and Division Park Apts

GRDadof3

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(and please don't anyone jump on me and say the buildings were nicer as vacant and boarded up).

Looks okay to me. No mod and trendy appendages like 201 Monroe, but then again sometimes a straightforward and historically minded renovation is the way to go. It's almost hard to go wrong when an exterior only requires new windows and storefront build-outs (just as long as they are well-detailed, quality windows).

I second what Ben Franklin said about rendering discounts; there can't be more than two hours of work in each of these. They definitely serve their purpose in portraying the minimal and tasteful exterior alterations, but they better have been cheap.

• 7 months later...

This project has been quiet for the past 7 months.

There is a "New" story on Rapid Growth rehashing what was said last February.

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/devnews/Brkstne1007.aspx

My question is why?

Probably because they're going before the city commission this week for a Brownfield Redevelopment request.

• 4 months later...

Construction has started on these two projects. Wolverine has a trailer on site and all the buildings are fenced off. Hope they keep the mural!

http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/devnews/Serrano0210.aspx

I think this will be like 101 S. Division, where the buildings will go through a tremendous transformation. Now for some more retail on S. Division...

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Grand Opening for these projects is Oct 21st and 22nd, 11 - 3. From the release:

General contractor Wolverine Building Group, architectural firm Concept Design Studio,

historic consultant Past Perfect and sustainable consultant Catalyst Partners led the extensive

rehabilitations of the unoccupied buildings at 209 and 217 South Division have been combined

and rehabilitated into Division Park Avenue Apartments. The project entailed a total of 47,000

square feet of major renovations. Notable historic features such as a skylight-topped atrium,

store front bay windows, custom wood-workings, and exterior masonry architectural features

were carefully preserved. Division Park Avenue Apartments feature Thirty (30) one- two -

bedroom apartments; including six street level live-work units, as well as secured below-grade

parking. The Palantine Building built by John E. Peck in 1911 began as rooming house for

travelling furniture buyers for semi annual furniture shows, was built at a cost of $40,000.

17 Williams Building was built in 1917 as a Burch warehouse Most recently a tire warehouse,

the 94 year old building at 17 Williams SW has been transformed into urban-style loft

apartments. Now named Serrano Lofts, the four story building contains 15 one- to two-bedroom

units. The rehabilitation project included 16,000 square feet of major renovations, masonry,

triple pane energy-efficient windows and concrete floors.

Wolverine Building Group, Concept Design Studio, and sustainable consultant Catalyst Partners

constructed both projects to target LEED Gold Certification.

Both projects utilized Federal Historic Tax Credits, Michigan State Historic Tax Credits, MSHDA

Low Income Housing Tax Credits, and Brownfield Tax Credits. PNC Real Estate provided

the construction financing, local financial support from The City of Grand Rapids Community

Development office HOME Funds and City of Grand Rapids DDA through the BRIP Grant reuse

program.

• 7 months later...

Anybody know why the temporay fencing is still up?

To keep the locals from lounging around?

What are the plans for this grassy corner?

Ohhh, they're cutting holes in the North wall to add windows to this project. Hope the mural is staying!

5555879871_e877ebc0ba_z.jpg

Anybody know why the temporay fencing is still up?

To keep the locals from lounging around?

What are the plans for this grassy corner?

Yes, I believe the developer is planning another project there. I thought someone had linked to it on here, but it might be in the Heartside thread.

Edit:

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/index.ssf/2011/11/developer_planning_big_bet_on.html

Excellent, thanks for the link.

Let's hope it's still moving forward.

If I were a betting man, I'd say so. That developer (Karl Chew) seems to quietly get things done. The article mentioned the 8 story portion could possibly start this Fall. It seems like a pretty narrow building space for an 8 story building; will be interesting to see.

Archived