Charlotte Greenway Trails

CharlotteDave

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is wonderful! What are the hurdles to that plan coming to fruition? Who must approve and fund it?

The document is not explicit about the approval process but it does suggest that the park will be phased and (as described) they are hoping for public-private partnerships for much of this -- given the scale this strategy might work.

We will not know the cost of designing and constructing the Rail Trail until we have completed
the Master Plan. The foundation for the trail already exists, but unlike a municipal park, the Rail
Trail will be built over time. There will be a variety of funding strategies. For the plan to reach
its full potential, each “intervention” on the Rail Trail will include different funding partners and
a different timeline; that is, each opportunity is unique!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm honestly more excited about expanding the greenway system than I am streetcar. A great greenway system can be a legitimate form of transportation itself. Right now what we have is basically a recreational greenway system. Hopefully someday it will also be a transportation greenway system.

I was always amazed at the number of people I saw in the DC area that biked to work. Would love to someday see that here.

From part 1 of city budget discussions:

But council members did move forward a proposal by Democrat James Mitchell to cut $15 million from a $35 million cross-county trail, a planned pedestrian and bike bath across Mecklenburg.

$15 million for what? Pedestrian bath?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/05/15/4044181/charlotte-city-council-considers.html

^$20 million should easily still cover connecting NoDa (think Highland Mill) to the existing greenway south of Cordelia Park, as well as the rail trail south of Alpha Mill.  Anything north of Highland Mill, or specifically through NoDa, can't really move forward until the AC&W RR relocates.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think we have a general "Parks" thread and this is the closest I could find  (which may say something in itself), but of the 50 largest cities in America, Charlotte ranked almost last (47) by a pretty through analysis of The Trust For Public Land.

The only thing we scored well on was the "median" park size (20 out of 20) unfortunately it boils down to not having many of them...

Full Charlotte details here http://parkscore.tpl.org/city.php?city=Charlotte

All cities here: http://parkscore.tpl.org/rankings_advanced.php

• 1 year later...

Update on University City Greenway projects.   

Bad news first - for half of the two year construction project of rebuilding the North Tryon bridges over the greenway - there won't be a detour for the section of the Mallard Creek greenway that runs under Tryon as the Planned Barton Creek Greenway won't be ready by then. 

The Good news - The delay in the Barton Creek Greenway is due to state funding and engineering which translates into 80% of the Barton Greenway being funded (920,000 out of 1.15m)

Info:  University CIty Partners

And yet if the NCDOT reconstruction of the Tryon bridges were delayed, I heard that could impact the BLE schedule.

No it probably couldn't as the bridges are about 1/4 mile north (after) of where the tracks leave N. Tryon and enter campus. 

Glad to hear there is finally a plan to move forward. I'm more excited about the greenways than just about any other project.

Agree.  This is basically a highway across the city for pedestrians and cyclists alike.  This will be HUGE.

Agree. This is basically a highway across the city for pedestrians and cyclists alike. This will be HUGE.

Does that mean no street traffic just like little sugar creek?

Sweet! I don't ride in mixed traffic

Archived