Charlotte Greenway Trails

CharlotteDave

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is on our Dev Map:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zVkgech8oPvQ.kAkwm8EIn_7Y

By the way, I rode this yesterday and they have opened the new asphalt-paved trail from Summit to Cedar (they paved a new trail along the gravel parking lot at Cedar Yards, not relying on the old dead end side walk).   But they are still yet to pave the section from Lela to Bruns.   They have the gravel foundation started, but it is still under construction.  

Here is the master plan map:

http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/ParkandRec/Greenways/OpenGreenways/Documents/5.GreenwayActionPlanandMap.pdf

Enjoyed a lively Cross Charlotte Trail public meeting tonight (#xclt). I've attached a few snapshots of the big sticker maps, but I was comforted to see so many stray thoughts and comments from this board and from past city/county plans (and dreams) feeling so close to fruition. 

A few takeaways:

• Route from Uptown to Pineville is basically set, and it's believed that the full length of greenway will be open by 2018/19. 
  • The connection from 7th St to 10th St is a major "sticky spot" that is getting a lot of scrutiny. They're considering several options and were actively getting ideas from the public. This includes over-land routes and "big grand bridge" routes, but they don't want to undo the entire project to fund one crazy expensive bridge. NCDOT is definitely going to be a battle.
  • One of their potential routes uses the ACRW through NoDa.
  • There is a groundbreaking soon (this year, it sounded like) on a LSCG extension from Parkwood to 24th St. It will go UNDER Parkwood, and further extension will go under Davidson.
  • They're looking at what I would consider to be very advanced/progressive cycle path designs (for the US) imported straight from the Netherlands. They are also dealing with the fact that many parts of Charlotte Greenways (and elsewhere) have outgrown their 6'-8' design widths.

post-20160-0-42301400-1435715144_thumb.j

post-20160-0-21660300-1435715168_thumb.j

post-20160-0-69688300-1435715214_thumb.j

post-20160-0-82195400-1435715238_thumb.j

post-20160-0-17988200-1435715261_thumb.j

post-20160-0-06675300-1435715285_thumb.j

Going under Parkwood seems like unnecessary expense to me

In the context of what they're trying to accomplish, it's necessary. As much as possible, they're trying to create a separated bike/walk "highway" from Cabarrus to Pineville. They are prepared to have "temporary" links in the chain via residential streets if that's how the money flows, but ultimately the goal is a separate path.

Agenda has some additional photos from the event. http://www.charlotteagenda.com/8472/the-cross-charlotte-trail-a-26-mile-greenway-from-pineville-to-cabarrus-county-is-under-way/

I was there early but there was still a ton of people piling in and putting their dots and notes all over the maps.  I particularly enjoyed making my own recommendations on the interactive map they had in the snack room.  You can still access the map for the next 3 weeks and make edits but I can't seem to find the link.  The area of the map I was focused on was from Huntingtowne farms south.  As the cross-country coach for South Meck, I was particularly interested in the the access my athletes will have (in 2018  :()  right off campus as well as the 5K course that will built on the county owned land right behind there.  The tricky part its making it 5-6ft wide so that they can maintain it, as well as making it long enough to host 5K races and keeping it relatively dry throughout the year.  Luckily there is an old park entrance beside the Little sugar creek off of Sharon road west that was abandoned long ago that will have parking and trail access.  I really emphasized in my notes to them that my athletes need access from the school because we are not allowed to get on the sidewalk and run down to that entrance(I am trying to change that, but CMS).  Hopefully the people that live beside the little sliver of county land leading form the school wont mind hundreds of kids running by their house.  Ill buy and put up the fence myself if I have to :tough: .

I did want to mention that there were some pretty iconic looking ped bridges that they were giving as examples from other cities.  While I like the idea of having an iconic bridge that can be seen by tons of people, I think that making the XCLT trail and expanding and connecting existing trails is a more prudent use of funding, and from what I heard from other people, that is the general consensus. 

I have a selfish question and was hoping somebody on Urban Planet could share some insight.  

I live near McMullen Creek, in the Cotswold area, close to Randolph Road.  When I look at the Greenway master plan pdf. and see future greenways (page 16), McMullen Creek is identified as number 29.   If a greenway were to be built all the way to Cotswold I would be ecstatic.   It appears to be highlighted in green.

http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/ParkandRec/Greenways/OpenGreenways/Documents/MPAppendix2.pdf

Unfortunately, while this route is mapped, it doesn't show up on any of the action plans (5 nor 10 year).   Skimming the master plan, I don't see any mention of timelines or expectations for the "future greenways" that this area seems to be part of.   I want to know if I should get my hopes up for a close greenway in the future, or not become emotionally invested in the idea that it will eventually be built.   

What is the likelihood of this being developed in the next 10 years?    Is there a plan to refresh the master plan, since it was published in 2008?  

All insight is appreciated! 

I have a selfish question and was hoping somebody on Urban Planet could share some insight.  

I live near McMullen Creek, in the Cotswold area, close to Randolph Road.  When I look at the Greenway master plan pdf. and see future greenways (page 16), McMullen Creek is identified as number 29.   If a greenway were to be built all the way to Cotswold I would be ecstatic.   It appears to be highlighted in green.

http://charmeck.org/mecklenburg/county/ParkandRec/Greenways/OpenGreenways/Documents/MPAppendix2.pdf

Unfortunately, while this route is mapped, it doesn't show up on any of the action plans (5 nor 10 year).   Skimming the master plan, I don't see any mention of timelines or expectations for the "future greenways" that this area seems to be part of.   I want to know if I should get my hopes up for a close greenway in the future, or not become emotionally invested in the idea that it will eventually be built.   

What is the likelihood of this being developed in the next 10 years?    Is there a plan to refresh the master plan, since it was published in 2008?  

All insight is appreciated! 

I'd wager at least a decade.  The primary focus of Parks and Rec right now is the cross Charlotte trail.  We are 3 years away from the southern leg build-out, which is already fully funded.  And while I'm confident the future for our greenway system is bright given the conversations I've had with people from Parks and Rec, ultimately there are a lot of projects in line waiting to be next to get funded and then actually built.  I think what is more likely for you (purely talking proximity here) is the Briar Creek Extension completion by 2020, with connection to the Little Sugar Creek line.

I've never really heard McMullen Creek discussed. I think the case is probably hurt by it's parallel location between McAlpine and Briar Creeks, which both have active greenway projects. 

Is the Briar Creek Greenway going to be expanded? It seems pretty small and segmented right now.

I'm pretty excited by the timeline for the southern leg completion. That's really not that far off.

I'd wager at least a decade.  The primary focus of Parks and Rec right now is the cross Charlotte trail.  We are 3 years away from the southern leg build-out, which is already fully funded.  And while I'm confident the future for our greenway system is bright given the conversations I've had with people from Parks and Rec, ultimately there are a lot of projects in line waiting to be next to get funded and then actually built.  I think what is more likely for you (purely talking proximity here) is the Briar Creek Extension completion by 2020, with connection to the Little Sugar Creek line.

Makes sense.  Thanks.

Impressive presentation by city officials at the meeting. It's unfortunate that it's seems poorly promoted by the city. It's something we should be proud of. No bailouts by the state, just work by the county and city.

Impressive presentation by city officials at the meeting. It's unfortunate that it's seems poorly promoted by the city. It's something we should be proud of. No bailouts by the state, just work by the county and city.

What do you mean by poorly promoted?

I don't know a single person in the city that doesn't know about the LSC greenway. It was even one of the only recipients of government spending that I didn't see people on Charlotte.com complaining about. It was pretty much universally thought of as a good thing.

As for the expansion, the city did a great job getting the word out about the meeting. I got at least 2 post cards in the mail inviting me to the event to give my input on the project. I'm not signed up for anything in particular to receive them, so I'm assuming they sent them out to every one.

^ Per Spartan's post earlier this morning...  NCDOT is taking a very active & financial role in the southern expansion of the LSCG to the tune of $2.2 million.

Construct an extension of the Little Sugar Creek Greenway between Ramblewood Lane in Charlotte and Cadillac Street in Pineville. This section of the greenway would traverse under I-485.

http://www.crtpo.org/PDFs/TIP/2016-2025/NonHighway_Hwy_Projects_List.pdf

I don't think NCDOT really cares about these projects if they are spending an abysmal >30$ million on these types of projects. Meanwhile they are investing in hundreds of millions on road infrastructure. I know it's pessimistic but it's very dangerous to trumpet green spending by NCDOT if it's merely chump change. Widening 77 is going to do more damage than the benefits of a section of greenway.

^^True and I agree that it is too easy to get pessimistic about how this state prioritizes things but think about the fact that 20 years ago they wouldn't have even considered spending 30 mil on trail and pedestrian infrastructure such as this. Sadly, the scales are still way off balance, but at least we are at a point where our elected officials can no longer ignore the importance of this kind of stuff.

Now I have a question for our members that have more knowledge on this subject than I do. I understand that Charlotte ranks pretty low when it comes to infrastructure such as this, but how bad is it really and where will the city be once this master plan is fully realized? I would imagine that currently the inner ring neighborhoods are considered....OK.....and it's the outskirts that really kill the overall grade (if you will)? And once everything is complete what other cities would we be on par with?

According to the presentation they showed us at the beginning, we are pretty far down the list currently. With the xclt trail and completion of the planned or proposed extensions we get a significant jump. Cities like Austin, NYC, boston etc. are at the top and we would make it into the top 5 or 6 if I remember correctly.

If we just do the xclt trail, we will move about half way up the list of the 30 or so cities they had numbers on. I think eventually the plan is to have over 130 miles worth of trails which would put us in around the top spot but I doubt the money for that will be there any time soon.

Archived