Charlotte Greenway Trails

CharlotteDave

1 hour ago, EllAyyDub said:

is there anything I/we can do besides beotch & moan online?

There is a lot in progress.

And they have public meetings to report on progress, once I am home I will try to find the links... but that is where I would start, getting to know where things are progressing (but not yet complete).

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, EllAyyDub said:

I guess my questions is: is there anything I/we can do besides beotch & moan online?  I only somewhat recently moved back to Charlotte & know next to nothing about county government, but the lack of greenways & their connectivity is currently my second biggest gripe with the city.

Greenways4Mecklenburg would be a start.  They have set some lofty goals to which hey are also depending on significant private contributions in order to move this effort along.  The disconnect occurs when those who could and would contribute $250,000 and up, are the same institutions or individuals that expect deliverable results in a reasonably aggressive amount of time, not a decade out.  Along with whatever private capital can be raised, the County & City absolutely need to explore what best practices places like Wake County and the City of Raleigh employ because in another sense, this is where our competition is for the likes of Apple, Amazon, & Google employment centers.  http://greenwaysformeck.com/

• 3 weeks later...

Plan Charlotte has a depressing commentary on Mecklenburg's huge, but unrealized vision for a Greenway system:

In 1999, the Mecklenburg county commissioners approved a 10-year master plan goal of 184.9 miles. But by 2008, the county had constructed only 30 miles of trails. The county’s 2008 Greenway Master Plan offered a 10-year goal “[t]o construct 61.9 miles of new greenway trail by 2018, bringing the total miles of constructed greenway trail to 129.”

It’s 2018, and Mecklenburg County has only 47 miles of developed greenways. 

A vision exists (there isn’t enough commitment to even call it a “plan”) of a 200-mile greenway network in Mecklenburg County.

http://plancharlotte.org/story/mecklenburg-should-support-greenways

On a non-depressing note.

The next segment of McAlpine Creek Greenway is starting construction this summer!

Construction for the NEW section of McAlpine Creek Greenway (from Sardis Road to Providence Road) is planned to begin in summer 2018 and should take approximately one year. The new stretch of greenway will extend the existing Campbell Creek and Upper McAlpine Creek greenways to a total of 6 miles. You'll be able to access the new section from the Old Bell Road parking area off Sardis Road

There is a meeting on the project 2/27 @ 6 pm

34ca3dd449785bb2dbac89f411d918d4.png

2 hours ago, Scribe said:

On a non-depressing note.

The next segment of McAlpine Creek Greenway is starting construction this summer!

There is a meeting on the project 2/27 @ 6 pm

How in gods name is this going to take a year?  I run on that dirt section (its like a mile one way) and besides one little drainage ditch, its a straight, level shot to Providence?  

• 2 months later...

Briar Creek Greenway Mint Museum Randolph Segment nearing Completion. The section through the Cawtaba Land Conservancy property is absolutely stunning in terms of tree density. Also the meandering tributary is much nicer than the concrete ditch that used to be in place.

20180513_103035.jpg

20180513_105752.jpg

20180513_103640.jpg

20180513_103009.jpg

20180513_103004.jpg

20180513_103336.jpg

20180513_105457.jpg

20 hours ago, ajfunder said:

Briar Creek Greenway Mint Museum Randolph Segment nearing Completion. The section through the Cawtaba Land Conservancy property is absolutely stunning in terms of tree density. Also the meandering tributary is much nicer than the concrete ditch that used to be in place.

What are the endpoints of the segment in your photos?  Randolph Rd to the North, and does it go all the way to Providence Rd to the South? 

Does anyone know if grade separation is ultimately planned at 7th Street/Briar Creek to connect to the Chantilly Park segment of Briar Creek Greenway?

42 minutes ago, pathb said:

What are the endpoints of the segment in your photos?  Randolph Rd to the North, and does it go all the way to Providence Rd to the South? 

Does anyone know if grade separation is ultimately planned at 7th Street/Briar Creek to connect to the Chantilly Park segment of Briar Creek Greenway?

The Randolph Road stretch ends at Meadowbrook Lane.

Charlotte is making some serious progress on the Little Sugar Creek greenway as well: Archdale to Sharon Rd West (basically from Park Road Park and almost to right behind South Meck High School).

Then I saw survey crews (or maybe it was city engineering) out on the extension of McAlpine Creek from Sardis to Providence Rd. Getting ready for that section to start in a few months.

Excited about these getting built out and connecting more neighborhoods to the destination parks.

I don't think flashing lights would even help.  Drivers in Charlotte aren't used to having to look out for pedestrians, and most really don't seem to care.  These crosswalks should have been raised to make sure cars have to go over them slowly, but I think its too late for that.  I think they should at least put down rumble strips about 10 yards in front of the crosswalks to get drivers' attention.  

There is nothing more terrifying than when you are in these crosswalks when the gates start coming down for an oncoming train.  Drivers will gun it to try and beat the gates while pedestrians are trying to cross.  Charlotte has done a bad job with these crosswalks along the rail trail to say the least.

36 minutes ago, elrodvt said:

It's not friggin complicated. Cameras and $100 fines for first offense. $50 for blocking box.

Having those laws here sure would've helped a lot the first time I drove through Manhattan as a youngin'

Apparently NYC cops don't accept "What in the world is 'the box'?" as a valid excuse for blocking the box...

1 hour ago, dylansukkert said:

The number of cars that don’t yield to pedestrians at these cross walks really is ridiculous.

agreed. But:

1. It is better around the rail trail than anywhere else in town
  2. The green crosswalks on the railtrail have improved the situation noticeably (but its still a problem)
1 hour ago, elrodvt said:

It's not friggin complicated. Cameras and $100 fines for first offense. $50 for blocking box.

This, plus an ordinance that says if you get hit by a car while in a crosswalk then you get to keep the car.

I ride rail trail 3x per week all the way down to Clanton and cannot tell you how many times drivers have tried to proceed in front  me as well as young mothers w/baby joggers and the like attempting to get across those intersections. 

I like what West Hollywood installed a few years back. Might just work on South Blvd as well as other wider crossings throughout the city.

On 5/13/2018 at 12:36 PM, ajfunder said:

20180513_103035.jpg

20180513_105752.jpg

20180513_103640.jpg

20180513_103009.jpg

20180513_103004.jpg

20180513_103336.jpg

20180513_105457.jpg

Excellent choice of K-9 companion!  If you ever think about adding to your pack, check out the golden retriever rescue club of Charlotte.  Great organization providing a great service to a great breed.

Our Goldens spent a lot of time on the greenways and I spent a lot of effort trying to keep them out of the creeks often with little success...

Has anyone heard anything recent about the railtrail extension and bridge over 277? I was under the impression that was years away but.....

Grading was just done along the tracks between the current end of the rail trail (at the Morehead st trolley stop) to 277 (on the Grandview side). This may just be a temporary access road, but damn, it was exciting to see.

9310D59A-C0E0-4AFB-B4CF-CDEB146ED2FA.jpeg

And speaking of bridges over main arteries, I hope this hasn't been answered much earlier but I dearly wish they'd expedite the footbridge over Independence, where the Sugar Creek Greenway currently ends.  Now given that piece of the system is a crown jewel for some already (I don't disagree, it's so great a connector to Freedom Park from Metropolitan/Midtown) but I can't quit imagining when a segment's tacked onto that with skyline views through an interweaving auto junction. Would feel like another solid boast the city can add as well as a good vista.

5 hours ago, kermit said:

Has anyone heard anything recent about the railtrail extension and bridge over 277? I was under the impression that was years away but.....

Grading was just done along the tracks between the current end of the rail trail (at the Morehead st trolley stop) to 277 (on the Grandview side). This may just be a temporary access road, but damn, it was exciting to see.

(I’ll try to get a photo this afternoon)

The town home developer is extending the trail to 277 to connect the town homes, but it is essentially an extension  that will connect to the future bridge.

On 5/14/2018 at 11:34 PM, UPNoDa said:

I ride rail trail 3x per week all the way down to Clanton and cannot tell you how many times drivers have tried to proceed in front  me as well as young mothers w/baby joggers and the like attempting to get across those intersections. 

I like what West Hollywood installed a few years back. Might just work on South Blvd as well as other wider crossings throughout the city.

These are not just in West Hollywood.  We've got them down here in San Diego, too.  In fact, there are a couple of these flashing beacon crossings in my own neighborhood.  They were put in a couple years ago and I can tell you having these have done wonders  There are still some jerks who will speed through when people are crossing and the lights are flashing, but they are the exception.  Before we got these, hardly anyone would stop.  They make a big difference!

• 3 weeks later...

Charlotte city council will vote on June 11th to contribute funds to the rail trail bridge over 277. Funding is coming from the city, county, NCDOT as well the private sector. First picture shows the future built out Greenway system around uptown.

8D9B12D1-0F21-4CBA-848F-3AFDCE5E2BF5.thumb.png.3196baa319c44979c1fd667e70d24a9a.png03E1B5BC-362E-4D49-B222-4347D6F9D65E.thumb.png.afc3a0c61f12e4efc789fa7fc6fdc26c.png

Archived