Charlotte Greenway Trails

CharlotteDave

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ It was a very good showing, neither embarrassing nor overwhelming. Given the weather and Hornets it was a very good first showing.

The NoDa end got crowded at spots, South of Parkwood was quite a bit more sparse (particularly the 7th street section)

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wooded segment of recently opened Phase 2 of the Toby Creek Greenway. Very peaceful and eerily quiet given the proximity to Harris Blvd and UCB. I love that the path is raised and concrete for about 90% of the new phase.

IMG_4338.thumb.JPG.bf6c9f2eafb94f126499ea200612152a.JPG

1 hour ago, AuLukey said:

Wooded segment of recently opened Phase 2 of the Toby Creek Greenway. Very peaceful and eerily quiet given the proximity to Harris Blvd and UCB. I love that the path is raised and concrete for about 90% of the new phase.

IMG_4338.thumb.JPG.bf6c9f2eafb94f126499ea200612152a.JPG

Some of the hardest falls I've had on a bike occurred on the McMullen Creek Greenway when the boardwalk was damp. Even a a very slow speed, wheels would slip and result in deep lingering bruising.  This looks much more skid proof. 

Took these shots along the Wesley Heights connector while walking over to Blue Blaze for a pint. Does anyone know how real this trolley revival is? The tracks don't look capable to me. The new program to put art along the greenways is great.

IMG_20170521_131151.jpg

IMG_20170521_132018.jpg

IMG_20170521_132205.jpg

IMG_20170521_133106.jpg

IMG_20170521_141000.jpg

IMG_20170521_142533.jpg

17 hours ago, elrodvt said:

...Does anyone know how real this trolley revival is? The tracks don't look capable to me...

The tracks are actually OK for the sub 10mph service planned. The problem (when I last checked 10 months ago) was the group had made zero progress on rehabbing the two vehicles they acquired. They were sitting untouched in a parking lot across from blaze untouched when I left town. AFIK they plan to push a gas generator for power rather than wires (this was what the Southend trolly did in the pre Blue Line days).

The group has been very quiet, I have heard few requests for funding or assistance so I have never had much confidence in the organization. I kinda suspect that the project is just a shiny thing that the mill developer is dangling to attract tenants, I hope I am wrong, decent service would be huge for that part of town.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have any news on Rail Trail park progress?

The CBJ did report on Kinght Challange grant winners, CCCP did get $150k for the project poorly described below. Can anyone elaborate on what this actually is (and where?)

Rail Trail Grove & Field

• Submitted by: Charlotte Center City Partners
  • Funding amount: $150,200
  • Project summary: Encouraging economic development and city vibrancy by creating a lively place to connect with nature and neighbors along Charlotte’s light-rail line. The space will also help link a retail employment center to the nearest transit stop.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/06/12/2-charlotte-projects-among-knight-cities-challenge.html?ana=RSS%26s%3Darticle_search&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_charlotte+(Charlotte+Business+Journal)

(the only Charlotte winner was to fund a podcast "in which government officials and millennials engage on local issues" from the Camp North End people).

28 minutes ago, kermit said:

The CBJ did report on Kinght Challange grant winners, CCCP did get $150k for the project poorly described below. Can anyone elaborate on what this actually is (and where?)

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/06/12/2-charlotte-projects-among-knight-cities-challenge.html?ana=RSS%26s%3Darticle_search&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bizj_charlotte+(Charlotte+Business+Journal)

(the only Charlotte winner was to fund a podcast "in which government officials and millennials engage on local issues" from the Camp North End people).

Better description in the Agenda today

"Since nowhere on the Rail Trail currently has trees, Gillespie said they aim to nimbly move around the greenery when they create the pathway. Expect a trail in the woods rather than a 12-foot concrete path. If plans go accordingly, there will be some space carved out along the trail for seating, a place for food trucks to pull up, programming space, and space for public art, too."

RT_GF_map-inspiration-images.jpg

1 hour ago, kermit said:

It is amazing to me this podcast was funded for $130K, not sure what you could possibly use that money for (especially when they already have a podcast studio...)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived