Vonage

Neo

I just switched to Vonage as my "landline" telephone company. I should have done this a long time ago! It was extremely easy to setup. I just connected the Vonage equipment to my home's 24-port switch network switch (for Internet, etc.) and plugged it into my telephone switch hub and I was in business! I took a couple of minutes for the system to boot up and connect with the Vonage servers but after that I could use any regular telephone outlet in the house just like I did before with Verizon. I would really suggest that you check these guys out as a cheap alternative to your expensive landline company. I get to keep my same number and everything! Heck, I could even take my Vonage box with me to a hotel, plug it in and my home telephone would travel with me! You can also check your voicemail and call log online instantly. Check it out!

If anyone else here has it please comment on what you think of the service.

PS, if you want to sign up please PM me. I'll send you a referral e-mail so you get a free month and I get some credit on my account...it's a win/win situation!

http://www.vonage.com

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest donaltopablo

I'm actually considering switching several of my business lines over to Vonage. I just need to talk to them about how realistic it is to have several phone lines on the system.

I'm actually considering switching several of my business lines over to Vonage. I just need to talk to them about how realistic it is to have several phone lines on the system.

From what they told me it's realistic, but I'll give you the hard facts. For every line with a dial-tone is gobbles up ~90k of bandwidth. So you have two lines going at the same time and expect ~180k, for 3 expect ~270k. Not sure I'd trust a cable modem to do anything over 2 lines because you're not guaranteed bandwidth with cable like you are DSL. Service is exception though. I called a few people to test it out after I had it all hooked up and they told me I sounded extremely clear, the same for my end as well.

I've thought about switching to something like Vonage, or dumping my landline for a mobile. I have a mobile that I never use and I use my landline only slightly more than never. My mobile is a prepaid VirginMobile phone and I use the phone so infrequently, that I could probably get by on less than $20 a month in calls.

Currently my landline is bundled with my cable and internet through Cox. I get a $10 discount for bundling them all, so with the discount my phone costs about $17 a month plus long distance (like $4 a month, I swear, I never talk on the phone).

If there was a payphone nearby I would just get rid of all my phones and use that (that's what I did in college).

Guest donaltopablo

From what they told me it's realistic, but I'll give you the hard facts. For every line with a dial-tone is gobbles up ~90k of bandwidth. So you have two lines going at the same time and expect ~180k, for 3 expect ~270k. Not sure I'd trust a cable modem to do anything over 2 lines because you're not guaranteed bandwidth with cable like you are DSL. Service is exception though. I called a few people to test it out after I had it all hooked up and they told me I sounded extremely clear, the same for my end as well.

I read that as well. I'm pretty sure I could operate 2 or 3 lines. But I wonder how realistically well it works and whether it could cripple my DSL at the store. I rely heavily on the internet for sales and dealing with my suppliers. Just wondering if anyone ever tried, I guess I may try it out. I really only need 2 lines, which I have 1 dedicated through Bellsouth that I can't switch and keep DSL. Wanted to readd a second and third line that I originally had.

• 1 month later...

Archived