Detroit Pistons

OneSweetWorld

I just checked out the ESPN message boards thinking I could find some good conversations about the Pistons to join there, but it seems to be just a bunch of kids. Saw them lose to Cleveland tonight, but how far do you guys think they're going to go this year? Flip Saunders, I think, has a bit to prove in the playoffs as far as making adjustments and keeping the guys fresh. I think if they don't make it all the way this year, it could be Saunders' last one.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is a great place to start for reasonable Pistons discussion; sort of like the Detroit Lions thread that oscilliates in popularity depending on the time of year and performance of the team.

They had a crazy victory over Denver this week, but Im just not confident they are good enough to beat Boston and then whoever is from the West.

I think Joe needs to retool this team. Im disappointed out the Lakers got Paul Gasol and the Heat picked up Shaq and Detroit did nothing.

The Pistons are slightly retooled. They have been dominant for 5 years so I'm not sure why everyone thinks they need an overhaul. Flip has been doing a good job of routing the bench in more and limiting the dependancy on the starting five, which was exactly everyone's knock on last year's team. I think the Cleveland loss means nothing. Like all the analysts say, the Pistons are a team, like the Yankees and Red Wings, that the regular season means very little to them. Even if they don't play at the level they are capable of, they are still going to be a top seed in the playoffs. The big concern is still about 'flipping the switch' once the playoffs hit.

The formula has been basically the same since Rasheed was added. They won the title, and then lost in the title but since then have failed short and the key cogs have all gotten older. Billups, Hamilton, Wallace, etc.

I see that Maxiell and Stuckey do get some decent playing time as two guys off the bench. I just don't see them taking it past Boston who does have the best record currently.

Right now it might actually be a good thing that Detroit is the #2 seed in the East. The top four teams are going to win the first round, but in the second round I would rather see Orlando (#3) than Cleveland (#4). If everything goes right, Detroit will beat orlando in four or five games while Boston and Cleveland go to seven games. Then hopefully Detroit will see a tired and weakened Boston in the Eastern Conference finals. And if we can get past them we might have a chance at a championship this year due to the fact that the West will be killing each other all throughout the playoffs.

If everything goes right, Detroit will beat orlando in four or five games while Boston and Cleveland go to seven games. Then hopefully Detroit will see a tired and weakened Boston in the Eastern Conference finals. And if we can get past them we might have a chance at a championship this year due to the fact that the West will be killing each other all throughout the playoffs.

I like the Pistons chances this year. You have to think that the vets know that their window of opportunity is slowly closing and that they'll be hungry to win it this year. Their bench is much deeper than it has been in the past. Even though Boston has the best record I am not completely sold on them yet. The Cavs scare me just becaause LeBron can go off for 50 points any night (remember last year playoffs?).

In the past week I've heard on Colin Cowherd's morning ESPN show that his prediction to win are the vetern Pistons. With less then 10 games to go, I do think its a Boston-Detroit east final but Im not sold on Detroit being a favorite to win the finals yet anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How about a little love for the Pistons! There are 148 posts on here for the pathetic Lions and only a handful for Detroit's best team the Pistons! Great come from behind win tonight in the second half against the Sixers in Game 4. When this team is focused they are just as good as anyone in the NBA. But that's the problem, they have a tough time staying focused against weaker teams. I actually think they can beat the Celtics and go on to win the title. They'll have little trouble getting motivated to play the Celts or the best from the West, advancing through the playoffs against weaker teams to get to the conference finals is what I'm concerned about.

My heart was beating uncontrollably the entire first half of that game; I thought it was over for the Stones. One thing I hear from just about everyone I talk to is that the Pistons are playing without heart or effort against the Sixers, which I have to disagree with. They depended so heavily on jump shooting throughout the entire season and, for the most part, only lost when their jumpers weren't falling, which there's nothing they can really do about. Same thing is happening now; it seems as if there's a lid on top of the rim. Pair that with Philly's ridiculous amount of energy and youth that the Pistons literally can't match with their older, veteran players, and this was bound to be a great series. Hopefully it doesn't go to seven games though; we don't want to be worn out when we go play in Boston :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Pistons up 2-0 against Orlando in the second round now. Last night's win was a little controversial in that there was a clock discrepancy when a three pointer by Billups in the third quarter shouldn't have counted. I don't really think it's a big deal- it was in the third quarter, we ended up winning by seven- I think it's pretty dumb that it's been all over ESPN today. Anyone have a different opinion?

It was a big deal because with like 15 seconds left, the Magic were down by two. If that call would've been correct, they would've been up by one and they wouldn't have been trying the 'foul & pray' technique that created the seven point difference. However, the NBA came out and backed the officials. Nothing different could've happened because theres no rules that allow for review of any kind.

Tonight's game was pretty bad, although not unexpected. Orlando got a huge boost from their home crowd and its always nice shooting at the hometown rims. They were lighting up the 3s tonight. On to game four! If the Pistons can get the next one, I'm confident they'll close out Game 5 in Detroit.

Nice victory today to finish off the Magic. This was perfect for Detroit as it allows Billups to heal completely for the Eastern Conference finals. I think Detroit makes it by either Boston or Cleveland but I don't have the same confident feelings against any of the remaining Western teams, (SA, NO, LA and Utah).

Nice victory today to finish off the Magic. This was perfect for Detroit as it allows Billups to heal completely for the Eastern Conference finals. I think Detroit makes it by either Boston or Cleveland but I don't have the same confident feelings against any of the remaining Western teams, (SA, NO, LA and Utah).

Archived