Should I move to GR

mlc99

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If things like high-end shopping are your taste we don't have that like Somerset (or even twelve oaks for that matter). I know it sounds silly, but it drives my wife nuts (a transplant from 48167). As was mentioned, the cost of living is much lower here (at least it seems so, I certainly don't have data to back that up). Besides the sports teams, I think we can offer most everything they have over there and plus, your family is here!

You do realize that asking us UPers if you should more here is like asking a car salesman if you should buy a car! ;) Most, if not all, of the people on this board are whole-hearted believers in Grand Rapids! Spend some time on the board browsing the posts to see what we love and what we think might still need some special love and attention to make a little better! You've found a treasure trove of information. Good luck with your decision and know that the welcome mat is out if you decide to come on over!

*fish

I lived in Oxford, Rochester, and Utica for awhile... couldn't stand a 3.5 mile commute taking 40 minutes a day - the west coast of Michigan moves at a slower pace, I think - the people seem to be more friendly, the car horns don't seem as prevalent, the lifestyle seems more genuine. I don't mean the slower pace is a bad thing, it just felt like everyone in the D was in a hurry to get somewhere. Moving to GR was the best life decision I have made. I think alot of people feel that way.

Plus, I don't think you'll miss the non-stop negativity, rude people, daily Kwame drama, L Brooks Pattersons, Illitches, "Are you the father of this baby?" billboards (DNA testing), and the rest of the garbage you have to put up with on the East side. But you can always buy the Freep over here if you end up missing those headlines. :P

Plus, I don't think you'll miss the non-stop negativity, rude people, daily Kwame drama, L Brooks Pattersons, Illitches, "Are you the father of this baby?" billboards (DNA testing), and the rest of the garbage you have to put up with on the East side. But you can always buy the Freep over here if you end up missing those headlines. :P

We moved back to GR after 10 years in Chicago, and it has been one of the best decisions we could have made. Sure, there are "issues" here, but there were much bigger "issues" in Chicago. I specifically enjoy MUCH lighter traffic, lower restaurant tabs, friendlier store clerks, and 2/3 the property cost! (We live in GR, though, not in a 'burb.)

Suburban districts with good reputations include East Grand Rapids, Forest Hills, and Northview. There are more, but those are the big three.

GR is an excellent place to live; and its growing DT will help the area has a whole. Great housing stock for an amazing price (im sure its probably a pretty similar deal in metro Detroit as well). But as Sailor stated; the traffic or lack thereof compared to larger cities is really great as you don't realize all the extra time you spend in traffic until you're really in traffic with 45-60 commutes.

However, there REALLY is only one person's opinion that counts; that's the wife's. From a person who moved across country from our hometowns; it was the wife's blessing that sealed the deal. Happy wife, happy life.

Best of luck!

Archived