Pinnacle at Cross Creek

Florida

Remember Toys R Us/Babies R Us are the same store. I would think they might build a big store and have them both in one. The Toys R Us in town is just sorry. I hate even going there. They never have anything. It will be great for me since I live on this side. I think it is going to do great just because it is located next to I 10.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this is going to be next to the car museum according to the site plan? It show Thornton Rd on one of them. I was thinking this was going to be on the Summit East side. I guess I should have figured that out by it saying Cross Creek.

So this is going to be next to the car museum according to the site plan? It show Thornton Rd on one of them. I was thinking this was going to be on the Summit East side. I guess I should have figured that out by it saying Cross Creek.

My wife and I were wondering what restaurants are going to be coming in out there. This is going to be so nice for us. We are going to have everything we need in just a 10 minute radius from us now.

Has anyone heard about a 18 hole golf course going in around this area of Mahan and I-10?

My wife and I were wondering what restaurants are going to be coming in out there. This is going to be so nice for us. We are going to have everything we need in just a 10 minute radius from us now.

Has anyone heard about a 18 hole golf course going in around this area of Mahan and I-10?

^No actually emt (I just can't seem to type that first word of his name :) ) is right. Welanuee has proposed putting a mall or shopping area across I-10 from DeVoe's mega strip mall at that interchange. Who knows what date that may happen, but they have proposed it in their overall site plan best I recall.

^No actually emt (I just can't seem to type that first word of his name :) ) is right. Welanuee has proposed putting a mall or shopping area across I-10 from DeVoe's mega strip mall at that interchange. Who knows what date that may happen, but they have proposed it in their overall site plan best I recall.

Um, We can't even keep two malls open and full.... why do we think this will work.

Also, from a student perspective.... students HATE patroning the malls we have now, they usually reserve shopping trips to vists home. They aren't going to be driving all the way out there. Also... who are we going to get to staff all these stores? Costco, Walmart, and kohl's had a difficult time filling their rosters for the stores opening this week... you think students are going to drive 30 minutes from campus to go to work for 7.25 at babies r us? um no.

Sorry to give a one sided perspective, but after lurking a bit I felt it was one that wasn't voiced.

I think there are a lot of students who get frustrated at the lack of oppertunites in tallahassee for job placement after graduation. A new mall isn't going to create enough of the jobs that make the students stick around and grow tallahassee. Most of the kids from south florida are dying to go back, they can for all I care, but there are a lot of kids from small towns across florida, south georgia, and alabama who would settle down in tallahassee if the oppetunity was there. Its the perfect marriage for them, small town feel with the comforts of a city several times larger than we actually are. Coming from the east side of orlando I have to say that the sprawl of tallahassee is already a little ridiculous for the small town we are. (yes, this is coming from a kid who grew up in seminole and orange counties) This "mall" isn't going to help anything. It sounds like a waterford lakes wannabe, which is good and bad. Good in the fact that it brings a mix of things into the area, bad because it creates a rapid buildup that leaves seveal open strip malls and a revolving chain of small business who are forced to close because of high lease prices. The overgrowth of the waterford lakes/eastwood/stoneybrook/avalon area of orlando is outragous and downright scary. Do I think that the same ingrediants are at work in tallahassee to make a cluster like that? no. But even at a 1/10 of the scale of that situation could create several problems for this area.

I have literally watched orange county mishandle growth as I have grown up in orlando, and after being here for several years in tallahassee in school I see a lot of the same mistakes repeating.

Glad to get a costco though. I missed them.

Um, We can't even keep two malls open and full.... why do we think this will work.

Also, from a student perspective.... students HATE patroning the malls we have now, they usually reserve shopping trips to vists home. They aren't going to be driving all the way out there. Also... who are we going to get to staff all these stores? Costco, Walmart, and kohl's had a difficult time filling their rosters for the stores opening this week... you think students are going to drive 30 minutes from campus to go to work for 7.25 at babies r us? um no.

Sorry to give a one sided perspective, but after lurking a bit I felt it was one that wasn't voiced.

I think there are a lot of students who get frustrated at the lack of oppertunites in tallahassee for job placement after graduation. A new mall isn't going to create enough of the jobs that make the students stick around and grow tallahassee. Most of the kids from south florida are dying to go back, they can for all I care, but there are a lot of kids from small towns across florida, south georgia, and alabama who would settle down in tallahassee if the oppetunity was there. Its the perfect marriage for them, small town feel with the comforts of a city several times larger than we actually are. Coming from the east side of orlando I have to say that the sprawl of tallahassee is already a little ridiculous for the small town we are. (yes, this is coming from a kid who grew up in seminole and orange counties) This "mall" isn't going to help anything. It sounds like a waterford lakes wannabe, which is good and bad. Good in the fact that it brings a mix of things into the area, bad because it creates a rapid buildup that leaves seveal open strip malls and a revolving chain of small business who are forced to close because of high lease prices. The overgrowth of the waterford lakes/eastwood/stoneybrook/avalon area of orlando is outragous and downright scary. Do I think that the same ingrediants are at work in tallahassee to make a cluster like that? no. But even at a 1/10 of the scale of that situation could create several problems for this area.

I have literally watched orange county mishandle growth as I have grown up in orlando, and after being here for several years in tallahassee in school I see a lot of the same mistakes repeating.

Glad to get a costco though. I missed them.

Why do students think Governor's Square is "so far out?" Its less than 3 1/2 miles from campus.

I'm an Orlando native myself. I grew up in "the Park." As long as it takes to get around in Orlando sometimes, I never understand why students say it's "so far away from campus."

Welcome to the boards seminolegrl06. You aren't alone in your opposition to Pinnacle by any means. Most of us share your opposition to the proposal in one form or another, though you do bring up a number of points not previously considered. And while retail jobs might not offer the positions that college students or recent grads are looking for, they do support the development of additional growth, that in theory, will bring those positions to Tally...someday :rolleyes: .

As to the lack of jobs and professional opportunities in Tallahassee, we have discussed the same in a number of threads. As someone who moved here directly after graduating from college to support my husband in grad school, I discovered very quickly exactly how little opportunity there was. I certainly understand your frustration and share it wholeheartedly.

Why do students think Governor's Square is "so far out?" Its less than 3 1/2 miles from campus.

I'm an Orlando native myself. I grew up in "the Park." As long as it takes to get around in Orlando sometimes, I never understand why students say it's "so far away from campus."

Several interesting things in your post..... The proposed mall at I/10 is not supposed to cater to students... It will get interstate traffic, and their is a significant population that lives out that way that will support the new development...

Also, yes, we all know our malls are not the newest and prettiest, but their are some decent stores in them.

No, I dont think that this mall will contribute to sprawl.. It is at an interchange... You dont have to worry about Tallahassee becoming like orlando though.. We have an award winning growth management department, and we are always good about keeping old shopping centers filled...

We have the slowest permitting process in the state, and we pride ourselves on green and environmental regulations when it comes to development.

It is a great community, and We are attracting new jobs all the time....

One thing I would urge you to do is to explore other sides of town.. they are much different than the student side..

I have been in tallahassee for years and I barely am living in the "student side". I know a lot of the other areas of town and what's in them.

I never said it was going to cater to them, but a lot of the workforce in this town that fills resturant and shop postitions are college students.

College students don't think govenors square is far. But compared to several similar southern college towns things in tallahassee are quite spread for the students on campus. You need a car.

Again, students don't think its far, just not worth it. A few decent stores... um I won't challenge tastes or opinions, but from the kids coming from tampa and south florida... an express, a gap, an abercrombie, and a ridiculous hidious and small juniors department at macy's is not cutting it for 17,000 girls with differening tastes and budgets. Just sayin.

I don't think tallahassee revolves around the students. I was just giving a perspective from one, and maybe something for people to ponder.

I went to school in the WP. It was a 30 minute drive to school. Tallahassee distances are short compared with orlando... It takes us about 50 minutes to get to park ave. Back way on 434 can get us to altamonte in 35. But after being here a few months/a year you start to forget and even though something is a few blocks away the light pattern on tennessee street makes any trip down it a 25 minute affiar. some kids don't have a car, no walkable grocery store from campus, not very many walkable resturants, and no walkable shopping... makes the perception that the campus is removed from things. my sister's dorm in tuscaloosa was maybe a 10-15 minute walk to all of those things... for example.

Again, I am just saying that interstate based sales at this mall will help it I am sure. Maybe even attract some outlet stores to it... again, just pointing out things that maybe yall don't consider.

seminolegrl06 the needs and desires that you express for the student population (all of which are very valid) should be addressed and filled by the Gaines St. revitalization IMHO. Now will that happen, who knows, that's anyone's guess.

I'm not a fan of DeVoe's Mega Strip Center either and based on much of what I've seen, it's not a mall or a lifestyle center, just a over-sized strip mall. I'm still curious to see what new stores this will bring to the area b/c to me it appears the development is only going to steal current businesses from the city center like Toys R Us, a movie theatre, Circuit City etc. I've yet to read about anything new coming out here, but I hope so.

As far as our malls go, I understand what you are saying but keep in mind that our malls will never be like International Mall in TPA or Millenia in ORL b/c our market size is so much smaller. However all things are relative b/c having lived in S. FL and shopping at Palm Beach Gardens Mall, Boca Town Center and Aventura, those malls in Central FL tend to fall short of what I like. Tally's size though should NOT keep us from creating the best things and atmosphere that we can out of what we've got, something that I think the Disco Mall (Gov. Sq.) isn't doing and I'm beginning to think Feldman has abandoned Tally Mall, though I hope I'm wrong.

Archived