Most diverse city!

Which city do you believe has the most diversity?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which city do you believe has the most diversity?

• Atlanta?
    • St. Louis?
    • Kansas City?
    • Indianapolis?
    • Pittsburgh?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I chose Atlanta but if I could choose my hometown of Monroe, NC (Charlotte suburb) I would choose it. Monroe has been totally changed by an influx of Hispanics. So much so that Hispanics are close to becoming the majority in Monroe over whites and blacks.

I chose KC because KC has always had a hispanic influece, like the city's westside. But now within the past 10 years the city's eastside and northeast side have been overcome by mexicans and other hispanic nationalities. The hispanic ratio to whites and blacks in the northeastside is probably about 5 to 1.

Of the choices, definately Atlanta. Having grown up in the shadow of Atlanta, I have seen in my lifetime (33 years so far), it grow from a stereotyped, prejudiced city, into a world class melting pot.

It is a city where all races and backgrounds can fit in.

Well, of the list, I'd say Atlanta, little contest. Though I don't have any stats in hand and I'm willing to see proof that I'm wrong.

However, saying a city has a lot of hispanics hardly makes the city diverse. Where oh where is urbanguy when I need him? You should see the stats for Honolulu.

Guest donaltopablo

Atlanta does pretty well in the diversity category. There are definitely unique areas and neighborhoods dedicated to hispanics, asians, and blacks in Atlanta, along with the melding of these cultures in other areas. Also, in reference to hispanic influence, the growth of the hispanic population has been astounding around here. Even compared to 10 years ago.

I do believe that some of the midwestern cities actually have had an hispanic influence for longer, but Atlanta's is exploding.

If Detroit is considered midwest, then some of you are wrong.

Because Detroit is very diverse AND has about 50,000 hispanics(mostly Mexican)

As a matter of fact, Southwest Detroit has an official Mexicantown.

To boot, Detroit has Greektown,Hamtramck(Poletown),Corktown(Irish) and nearby Dearborn has Arabian Village, which is part of the largest middle eastern population outside of the mideast.

Just because a city is 30/30/30 white/black/hispanic doesn't make it super super diverse if its all "Americanized" - its just racially divided up.

Yes, the question is culturally diverse. A racial mix of Americans does not automatically equate to cultural diversity.

^Yep thats very true and people mistake it all the time, Honolulu for example is not racially diverse the same for Toronto but they are both extremely ethnically & culturally diverse which is a whole different thing. There are so many subgroups in Honolulu its almost ridiculous something the census doesnt even cover because many are just grouped together. :P

I've come to know Toronto very well - I've spent a month's worth of time in the city over the past 2 years (couple different trips combined).

The city has quite a bit of racial diversity - its the suburbs that don't have the racial differences so much. The metropolitan area as a whole is just wild /w cultural and ethnic diversity. You have all kinds of europeans, arabs, indian, asians, latin americans, and within each group is subsets of many different cultures.

Within the white/european group there are tons of different ethnicities - czech, slavic groups like romanian, yugoslavia, etc. French and French Canadians. Many different languages between them.

The arabs have many different types. Some from Turkey, some from Iraq, some from who knows where.

Etc. Etc.... Etc......... Just wildly diverse, and the amazing thing is how well everyone gets along. Obviously the reason why Toronto is so diverse is because it is the hub city for Canada, and Canada being the only other clean 1st world democracy in the western hemisphere makes immigration quite attractive. And when people immigrate - Toronto is one of the main meccas for inflow. Vancouver and Montreal obviously take in quite a few as well, but Toronto is *the* immigration city for many Canadians.

And obviously people who move to Canada are looking for peace, stability, good gov't. So it really works out well. :)

^Technically its ethnically diverse, racially the whites are still the largest then asians and the other races are small percentage wise. You can also find a lot of the same groups of people in the west however the west has one thing Toronto doesnt have and thats a sizeable Pacific Islander population of all types and they are very diverse too (different shapes, colors, cultures, languages) as they are split into three groups: Polynesians, Melanesians, Micronesians and then different sub categories the Melanesians alone speak over a 1,000 different native languages. :o

Hey sean if you've never been to KC's residential neighborhoods don't say KC doesn't have that many hispanics. KC has nearly 100,000 hispanics(some of them are undocumented) thats even more than STL. Even our neighborhood newspapers are bilingual. KC has a huge hispanic population its more like 35%!!!

Honolulu for example is not racially diverse the same for Toronto

Toronto is extraordinarily racially diverse. Whites now account for less than 60% of the population. In 10 years it will probably be less than 50%, and they will no longer be a racial majority. Immigrants already outnumber Canadian-born people at 51% to 49%.

Archived