Quality Development

TD

I was riding around town today and It struck me... We have very little QUALITY development... It all seems a wash of the same chain stores...

When I say quality, a big part of it is aesthetics... I really have a thing for things that look nice.. I see these extremely nice centers built when browsing forums and wonder why Tallahassee can't attract one....

Its not all about size....

For Example we all know Destin has a high end Niche market and they have many of these upperclass nice looking developments..

I feel that our developments are bland and nothing really attracts me to a place besides natural beauty such as Southwood.

I wish we could get a center built Downtown that could cover several city blocks and transform our Downtown into truly a destination center. it would be sort of like Destin Commons http://www.destincommons.com/

But 3 or 4 stories, and include a whole host of shops...

On a side note I also envy such places as Port St Lucie for making their cities look so nice... Everything from the signage to the gardening to everything it just looks nice everywhere you go...

Tallahassee looks like endless strip malls with no character.....

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These "quality" developments you speak of are a tiny fraction of the overall city that these things come from. You are seeing these things on forums because these cities are showcasing the nicest things they have. Plus, both of the examples you gave are beach towns catering to crowds with lots and lots of money. There isn't nearly the market here for the things you are describing. Tallahassee doesn't have anything to prove to the outside world. We are a government and college town; that said I think our govenrment buildings and colleges look quite nice. And couldn't you have put this question in one of our preexisting forums? I think two new topics in a week is enough. ;)

These "quality" developments you speak of are a tiny fraction of the overall city that these things come from. You are seeing these things on forums because these cities are showcasing the nicest things they have. Plus, both of the examples you gave are beach towns catering to crowds with lots and lots of money. There isn't nearly the market here for the things you are describing. Tallahassee doesn't have anything to prove to the outside world. We are a government and college town; that said I think our govenrment buildings and colleges look quite nice. And couldn't you have put this question in one of our preexisting forums? I think two new topics in a week is enough. ;)

I see what you mean TD. I think a better comparison would have been the redevelopment of downtown Gainesville. They have built quite an urban entertainment area over there consisting of nice restaurants, shops, bars, etc. It's really become a destination for Gainesville residents and students. And whats even better is that they have housing on the top floors, and two parking garages to do away with surface parking lots. Tallahassee should strive to mimmick it, it really makes for a nice night out, and all in one area.

And about the thread, since a new thread was started for Pinnacle when we have a Malls thread already, I think its good you started a new one and it may be a good thread.

A parking garage further west on Gaines would help to provide retailers with spots. It would have to be a good looking garage though. One that then could be used to barter with fsu over using some of its spots at off peak times, in exchange for gameday parking in the city's garage. It could be incorporated in the roadway designs as the gaines conversion manifests.

A parking garage further west on Gaines would help to provide retailers with spots. It would have to be a good looking garage though. One that then could be used to barter with fsu over using some of its spots at off peak times, in exchange for gameday parking in the city's garage. It could be incorporated in the roadway designs as the gaines conversion manifests.

Archived