mitchella81

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The historic Bibb Mill caught fire around Midnight this morning. I was onsite for almost 4 hours taking photos from various angles. I'll be adding photos throughout the next few days I have more than 140 pictures. Here are a few.

41FvGrINY6.jpg

Fire Fighters look on as gas lines explode through the roof of the building

H4ERmzbBiK.jpg

Photos dance out of 4th floor windows of the mill

lzPI3xG8jw.jpg

By this point little could be done to save the building

L3lXYza88H.jpg

Fire races toward the front of the building

IiXjhMmMke.jpg

Firefighters attempt to save nearby buildings

I left the area around 4:15 this morning and the mill was completely engulfed in flames reports indicate that there are 30 units from the Columbus Fire Department on scene as well as units from Phenix City had to be dispatched to the fire. Debris and hot ember is raining down as far away as downtown Columbus and has sparked small brush fires and threatened quite a few homes in the Bibb City area.

I'll add more photos later as well as video that I recorded.

A TRAGIC LOSS FOR COLUMBUS & GEORGIA

That is unreal! I just got done reading about it. That is a HUGE fire! I am just glad nobody was living there. Were there plans to do anything with it? I think that mill was once one of the largest in the country.

I have been hearing rumors that there were plans to develope the upper 3 floors into lofts similar to the Johnston Mill. On the first floor there was a flea market. I had heard that it was one of the largest also. WTVM reported that the mill was over a quarter mile long and 4 floors high. The fire was so intense although the Mill actually ended on 1st avenue the heat from the flames could be felt as far back as 2nd avenue and 38th street. It was quite a site to watch. The flames were reported to be over 130 feet high at some points in the fire. Burning Embers have been reported to be falling as far away at Macon Road in Midtown. I would guess thats more than 7 miles from the plant. Embers have ignitied fires blocks away from the mill. Most were small and quickly extingushed.

More Photos of the Bibb Mill Fire

HaPklkqkY4.jpg

This photo is shortly after the fire first started

sOk6CrPkUs.jpg

A 100ft Ladder truck looks like dwarfs compared to the gaint infero

JY84m99Ax3.jpg

Water looks useless compared to the towering inferno

LP08Z1z3ff.jpg

A gasline makes its presence known through a sidewall

Hp4d0gpLLI.jpg

Flames dance high above the 4 story structure

jowcNFT7Ts.jpg

A sidewall just sits in wait for flames to arrive

Edited by mitchella81

Do you guys no what there going to do now about the bibb mill.I wonder if there just going to tear the rest of the mill down see and how its been destroyed by fire.Or if they just were going to leave some parts of the mill up.In my opionion they just need to tear the rest of the mill down see and how its been destroyed and maybe put something else there like some stores or some apartments.

Do you guys no what there going to do now about the bibb mill.I wonder if there just going to tear the rest of the mill down see and how its been destroyed by fire.Or if they just were going to leave some parts of the mill up.In my opionion they just need to tear the rest of the mill down see and how its been destroyed and maybe put something else there like some stores or some apartments.

There currently are no plans for the site yet. Its still a little too soon. The ATF is still on site conducting an investigation into the blaze. I would imagine though that with the level of destruction at the mill the remainder will be tore down and something new will be placed on that prime riverfront property. It will probaly be about 6 months before they even make up their minds about what to do with the shell that remains

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Photos of the day for 3/2/09

Images from yesterdays heavy snowfall in Columbus

6UIYUg51zc.jpg

Heavy snowfall on Old Moon Road

jrbW0SblR9.jpg

The Applebees on University Ave.

jzEuvJRl0R.jpg

Manchester Expressway

8lM1YEsIVI.jpg

The Columbus Metro Airport

B9i8RfytNM.jpg

Manchester Expressway @ Reese Road

It's kind of funny that on Sunday we got up to 6 inches of snow throughout parts of the city while the day before it was 70 degrees with up to 5 inches of rain throughout parts of the city and it looked kind of like this

MBdEhEQ9Hh.jpg

5th Avenue near 14th Street in Flash Flooding

sOYjwY2jxb.jpg

The Liberty District

mU7UPCqR6c.jpg

The Liberty District

bWy2Aro2Ix.jpg

Cussetta Road Near Public Works

Well thats enough for this weekends crazy weather i'll add more photos later this week.

• 1 year later...

I tried to take some shots of Columbus's skyline this last weekend. Mostly from Phenix City. What I realized is that due to the fact that Phenix City is much lower than Columbus taking a good encompassing photo of the area is near impossible, especially without a good camera. Either way here are the photos that aren't a complete waste of bytes.

IMG_3187.jpg

This is overlooking the 13th Street Bridge. The bridge brings together Columbus, GA and Phenix City, AL. On the Phenix City side, they are planning on building the Phenixian (10 Story Condo High-Rise), Troy University-Phenix City and Chatahoochee Valley Community College are building an offshoot campus that would include a 6 story building for the School of Business. The shot only includes the Eagle-Phenix Lofts, which are almost complete. You can barely make out the Ledger-Enquirer Building and the tip of the Holy Family Catholic Church.

IMG_3190-1.jpg

This is on a walking bridge over the Chatahoochee on Phenix City's Riverwalk right near 13th Street across from Piggly Wiggley. If they ever get around to it Columbus and Phenix City have agreed to further breach the damn to create urban White Water rafting. You can make out Synovus, Columbus State, and part of the Marriot Downtown Hotel. You cannot see the Ledger-Enquirer Building, nor Sun Trust, nor the RiverCenter, nor Government Center. It’s not the most flattering angle.

IMG_3192-1.jpg

This is the widest shot I could get. I would have included more, but the area I was standing on was only about an acre. You catch part of the TSYS Campus, The SunTrust Building, The Aflac Building, The Carmike Building. If the shot went further left, you could see the Doctor’s Hospital and Columbus Medical Center. If it went to the right, you would see all the shots from the first two photos, as well as some of the buildings in the last shot below.

IMG_3189-1.jpg

This is the final shot of any value. I found this accidentally when looking at an old loft building on 6th Ave. I drove up Linwood Blvd, and caught this in the rear view mirror. You can make out Government Center, The Ralston Towers, a few buildings that I don’t know, and some of the buildings along the river front.

None of the photos I had got a good shot of the Ledger-Enquirer Building, and as I stated in earlier its hard based on the flat land in Phenix City to get any really good photos of Columbus’s skyline.

• 2 months later...