Chipotle restaurant coming to 28th Street/Woodland

cshbell

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have not been able to find a good steak burrito in town like you can in chicago. Chicago burritos are big, thick, dense and full of meat. Burritos around here are full of rice.

There used to be a place near the red barn on 28th back in 99 but now it is long gone.

I am very happy to see a Chipotle in town. I love all sorts of the fast food mexican fare. But as someone said; the local choices can be the best such as La Cantina.

However, when will people in Michigan be allowed to get beer at Qdoba/Chipotle like you can in other states?

I am very happy to see a Chipotle in town. I love all sorts of the fast food mexican fare. But as someone said; the local choices can be the best such as La Cantina.

However, when will people in Michigan be allowed to get beer at Qdoba/Chipotle like you can in other states?

When those establishments acquire liquor licenses.

Qdoba is a fast food place, and as such is likely not planning to add alcohol to the repertoire.

If Chipotle's business plan includes booze, likely they have taken that into consideration in the expansion plans.

HTH

I think this person was referring to the fact that in some other states, aquiring a liquor license is easier and cheaper than the bureaucratic mess in this state. This makes it easier for an establishment like Qdoba or Chipotle or Moe's to get/afford one.

Also, to allbusiness, Don Pablo's closed their doors a few months ago. They were okay, but I'm not too sad.

Maggie's used to be a weekly stop for me but no longer. They're letting the place rot. The roof leaks and it's never as clean as it used to be. Luis had plans to move across the street to the corner. Those fell through. Then to the mid-block spot across the street. That fell through. What's going on there, anwyay?

whats the big deal about this thread. New chains are built all the time and they dont get this kind of attention. I have eaten at the one in East Lansing and thought it was the same as Qudoba and Pancheros, food was good not ok not great, you get what you paid for, maybe a little better interior design but that doesnt matter to the average person

Yeah, that's Austin. Taco Cabana is a great place to eat in the fast food category plus they are 24/7. I work the night shift in downtown Austin and I often eat lunch at a nearby Taco Cabana in the middle of the night (along with a bunch of drunks leaving 6th street).

After reading the positive posts about Moe's, I looked them up and they have a location in Austin. Yet another place to try on the never ending quest for a better burrito...

Chipotle has a good reputation out here. Qdoba is real mixed -- I ate there this weekend, and darn near got a chicken bone in my throat. Not venturing back any time soon.

Question for West Michigan Mexican food lovers -- in LA, the idea of a "wet burrito" is almost unknown. Most burritos are served without any sauce. One restaurant that my family likes includes sort of a cheese sauce on its burritos, but calls it "gringo style."

On the other hand, LA Mexican food typically includes guacamole and sour cream, two items that I do not recall being common in GR Mexican food.

Is my aging memory just slipping, or are there differences between the cuisines? Whose reigns supreme?

Now that's a good question. I've been visiting Denver quite a bit lately and apparently they're famous for breakfast burrito's. It's a staple there. Alsmost every restaurant has them on the menu covered with green chili sauce.

I still stand by my recommendation of Taco El Gandero (sp) on Bridge and the one on 28th...delicious Chorizo. Love the Chorizo quesedilla's.

Chipotle has a good reputation out here. Qdoba is real mixed -- I ate there this weekend, and darn near got a chicken bone in my throat. Not venturing back any time soon.

Question for West Michigan Mexican food lovers -- in LA, the idea of a "wet burrito" is almost unknown. Most burritos are served without any sauce. One restaurant that my family likes includes sort of a cheese sauce on its burritos, but calls it "gringo style."

On the other hand, LA Mexican food typically includes guacamole and sour cream, two items that I do not recall being common in GR Mexican food.

Is my aging memory just slipping, or are there differences between the cuisines? Whose reigns supreme?

Save the gas! Taco Cabana in Ft Wayne closed a few years back. Admittedly they did not have the best location. That one was lunch & dinner & evening, not 24/7, and IIRC no liquor license. (For those unfamiliar with the 24-hr patio cafe concept, they sell bottled beer.) It was on the Coldwater Rd exit a big block south of the freeway.

Ft Wayne is something of a test market mecca for major corporations. "Will it play in Peoria?" is apocryphal.

Funny -- when I was a kid, GR was supposed to be a test market town. I will never forget some lady coming by the house when I was about 10, with a new product from Colgate or Crest that was a kind of powder -- you put it on your teeth, it showed you where the dirt was, and then you brushed it off. Never went anywhere, but we were dental pioneers.

Archived