Dell Manufacturing Facility

cityboi

My, it's been quite a while since a post was made in this thread.

This afternoon, I had to make a visit out to Kernersville and rode down Union Cross Road to check out the new Dell plant. I haven't been down Temple School Road since it opened over two and a half years ago. The retail/residential projects announced when the plant was chosen to be in Winston have just started grading.

For those who haven't seen the new plant, here are some photos:

2380870549_d393138e0d_b.jpg

2381707230_9d0279fc7c_b.jpg

2380877209_3827257480_b.jpg

2381714268_5b42d3e98d_b.jpg

2380884557_941ea987f1_b.jpg

2381721602_4af822ebc0_b.jpg

2381725250_26196f9437_b.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

While Dell got a sizable amount of both state and local incentives, all were conditioned on meeting certain criteria, including job creation.

If dell doesn't satisfy these conditions, they won't receive the incentives. They were spread out over 15 years so if dell closes the entire plant or doesn't meet benchmarks, the majority of the incentive money won't be paid out. I say paid out, when I should really say Dell won't be given the tax breaks.

• 3 weeks later...

just heard on the news, the Dell plant is going through another round of layoffs. Like before Dell is not telling how many people they laid off. Some have said that means no one can tell if the company is fulfilling the conditions of local and state incentives.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/04...lant_in_forsyth

I personally think that Dell is being a poor corporate citizen. The jobs are menial for the most part and don't pay well. If they don't disclose exact employment number, the city, counties (Guilford also ponied up some incentives), and state should withhold disbursement of incentive monies. It might be a better scenario for a third party producer to purchase the plant for it's long term viability.

I personally think that Dell is being a poor corporate citizen. The jobs are menial for the most part and don't pay well. If they don't disclose exact employment number, the city, counties (Guilford also ponied up some incentives), and state should withhold disbursement of incentive monies. It might be a better scenario for a third party producer to purchase the plant for it's long term viability.

I am not sure of you are familiar with either. Cigarette making is highly automated. The skill comes in the maintaining the processes to do it. It requires a lot of skilled labor and pays extremely well for NC or for anywhere for that matter. It's an awful product to be sure, but there are usually high amounts of investments in these places as compared to putting tops on bottoms in a PC factory where all of the components have been manufactured elsewhere.

personally I think Dell employees are under paid when you consider that local companies like Greensboro based Lorillard Tobacco pay their plant employees just as much money and have better benefits. It is amazing to think you can get paid the same on a production line making cigarettes as you would at Dell assembling computers. But despite that Its a great benefit that Dell is here. Here is an article back in September from the Charlotte Observer. Its almost like the editors in the Queen City want the plant to close. They would have you believe the Dell is packing their bags and moving out :whistling:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/503/story/175592.html

I know this is a little off the subject, but I read an atricle last week tht RJ Reynolds was trying to acquire Lorillard and if they do, they plan to close all Greensboro operations and move everything to their Tobaccoville plant.

thats actually old news from August of last year. the move is unlikely. a Reynolds offer for Lorillard likely would face major scrutiny from the Federal Trade Commission on antitrust concerns. Besides Lorillard isnt exactly in any trouble financially thanks to its popular Newport brand.

from the article you posted.

" I mean BB&T could get bought out and move its corporate headquarters out of Winston. The financial market is very shaky and it could realistically happen. Those rumors have been swirling around for a while now. Here is a link of BB&T being a take over target:

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/ju.../business-area/

[

Archived