79C - mixed-use infill at Frank Leu site

Southron

Edit:  See post #16 and later for info on final site development plan.

---

Mayor Bright says negotiations are underway with a company considering a new hotel in the downtown area. Bright wouldn't identify the hotel chain, but supposedly it's one of three hotels that have contacted the city within the last month.

3 companies contact city about downtown hotel

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ City officials expect a fourth hotel to open within the three-block downtown area where there are already two hotels and a third is scheduled to open this year. An unidentified hotel chain is expected to buy a former bank building on Commerce Street, a block away from the Renaissance Montgomery Hotel & Spa at the Convention Center.

Fourth hotel expected in area downtown

• 9 months later...

The new downtown hotel project has finally been revealed. Two hotels, a Hyatt Place and a MainStay Suites, and a parking deck are being planned for the parking lot on Bibb St. between Commerce and Lee. The $30-35 million project could be completed by 2011, and would add more than 200 hotel rooms across the street from the convention center.

Awesome infill project! It'll cover up a surface parking lot and it's designed as a proper urban building -- built out to the sidewalk with parking in the interior of the block. :good:

Plans for 2 hotels moving forward

HyattPlace1.jpg

The new downtown hotel project has finally been revealed. Two hotels, a Hyatt Place and a MainStay Suites, and a parking deck are being planned for the parking lot on Bibb St. between Commerce and Lee. The $30-35 million project could be completed by 2011, and would add more than 200 hotel rooms across the street from the convention center.

Awesome infill project! It'll cover up a surface parking lot and it's designed as a proper urban building -- built out to the sidewalk with parking in the interior of the block. :good:

Plans for 2 hotels moving forward

HyattPlace1.jpg

Yes this is a great infill development. I've always hated that Park-ette. Waste of space. I do like it a lot but would be nice if they could have made it a highrise if space was available. I can't wait to see what restaurants it will bring.

Yes this is a great infill development. I've always hated that Park-ette. Waste of space. I do like it a lot but would be nice if they could have made it a highrise if space was available. I can't wait to see what restaurants it will bring.

I like the 6-story height, it should blend in well there. I'm more of a fan of spreading this kind of infill around rather than concentrating development into just a handful of tall buildings. From the rendering it looks like there will be ground level commercial bays, hopefully including a cool restaurant or two as you mentioned.

Whoever drew this must be from out of town because they've got some Commerce St. buildings pictured to the right of the Hyatt Place on Lee St. :lol:

Thanks for the pics of the site Southron :thumbsup:

Looks like it's gonna be a nice infill development! Great look for the streetscape too! Really like how the hotel will be built-up along the sidewalk. Is that one hotel on each side?? Cool! Competition for conventions in the mid-sized southern cities seems to be fierce lately! The additional hotel rooms should help.

It's good to see Downtown Montgomery is on the move!

^ I guess there is one hotel on each side. The MainStay Suites must be facing Commerce Street on the opposite side of the Hyatt Place.

That must be what is it since on the far left white building looks like Sous La'Terre and Choices. MainStay entrance must be at the at the corner of Bibb and Commerce.

^ Good point, krazeeboi. We don't need interstate exit quality schlock in a key downtown location.

The city council authorized interim Mayor Jinright to cut a deal with the hotel developers. The city would contribute the lot where the Frank Leu building once stood and may grant some tax breaks for the project that is supposed to generate a $160 million return over 30 years.

Council authorizes Jinright to negotiate with hotel developers

^ Good point, krazeeboi. We don't need interstate exit quality schlock in a key downtown location.

The city council authorized interim Mayor Jinright to cut a deal with the hotel developers. The city would contribute the lot where the Frank Leu building once stood and may grant some tax breaks for the project that is supposed to generate a $160 million return over 30 years.

Council authorizes Jinright to negotiate with hotel developers

I would think given the scope and clientele targeted for this project they would not cut corners. They have to compete with the Renaissance's quality. Anyway, I hope this project will spur investment interest in renovating the buildings on Commerce across the street. The buildings with Sous La Terre and Choices at the bottom. The buildings cost more to get it up to city code but if someone with deep pockets can vision a good money making idea for it, then it may worth it.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Awesome news! Construction is set to begin in late spring or early summer for a multi-story mixed-use building on this site. This eyesore of a parking lot will finally be gone.

The development will include 64 one and two-bedroom units, along with 10,000 to 12,000 square feet of ground floor retail and restaurant space. The project is expected to be completed and open by the summer or fall of 2015.

Links:  Residential, retail development set for old Frank Leu building site

New mixed use development coming to downtown Montgomery

Leu_site_1.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mellow Mushroom is now confirmed as a ground floor tenant, likely at the prime Commerce and Bibb corner location. For whatever reason the project was reduced in height from five to four stories and includes 54 apartments - 45 one-bedroom and 9 two-bedroom. Rents are expected to be in the $800-1400 per month range.

News articleConstruction begins on downtown property set to house Mellow Mushroom and 54 apartments

Developer press release:  CBD Montgomery Groundbreaking

MontgomeryCBDexteriorangle.jpg

MontgomeryCBD_3.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived