Proposed CSU Student Recreation Center

amyers

rendering.jpg

New "Student Rec. Center" that CSU is proposing be built on campus, would cost around $16 million and would have no state grants or funding. It would be paid for the same way the parking garage is being paid for... by the students (parents).

Currently students are paying $44 a semester for the garage and would be paying an extra $75-$100 a semester for the rec center. Fees are a bit much already and even though I have 'HOPE' I'm still paying a good load in overages that are not covered by the state (due to a freeze in funds)

Also, for every semester a student pays for the rec center, you will get 6 months of membership after you graduate?

It would be finished around DEC 2010-JAN 2011 and would be located in one of a few spaces: (1) on the corner of University Ave and Gentian Blvd across from Applebees (2) On University Ave in front of the big field for student sports (3) on the other side of the field on Clearview Circle (4) where the tennis courts are now and they would be relocated

It will include a rock wall, julie bar, game room, racketball courts, basketball courts, roller hockey, weights, and a track around the top. 3 total levels.

Questions?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rendering.jpg

New "Student Rec. Center" that CSU is proposing be built on campus, would cost around $16 million and would have no state grants or funding. It would be paid for the same way the parking garage is being paid for... by the students (parents).

Currently students are paying $44 a semester for the garage and would be paying an extra $75-$100 a semester for the rec center. Fees are a bit much already and even though I have 'HOPE' I'm still paying a good load in overages that are not covered by the state (due to a freeze in funds)

Also, for every semester a student pays for the rec center, you will get 6 months of membership after you graduate?

It would be finished around DEC 2010-JAN 2011 and would be located in one of a few spaces: (1) on the corner of University Ave and Gentian Blvd across from Applebees (2) On University Ave in front of the big field for student sports (3) on the other side of the field on Clearview Circle (4) where the tennis courts are now and they would be relocated

It will include a rock wall, julie bar, game room, racketball courts, basketball courts, roller hockey, weights, and a track around the top. 3 total levels.

Questions?

I too am a student at CSU. I'm for the Rec Center, but it sucks that every year the university builds a new building and expects for us to pay for it out of student fees. I don't even use the dern parking garage because most of my classes are on the other side of campus, but I still have to pay $88 a year for it. Maybe the university should take a look at starting a campus football program to increase revenue. The school now has the enrollment and alumni to support it. The best location would be across from Applebees on Gentian

I wonder if there have been market studies to determine if this kind of amenity would increase enrollment to help offset the cost. If not, I'd suggest spending the money on an engineering program or other fast growing career field... or maybee even a football program like mitchella81 suggests. I would just be surprised if students at a largly commuter school would use the facility enough to make it worthwhile. Maybe add the student housing first? I hope it's been well thought out.

I wonder if there have been market studies to determine if this kind of amenity would increase enrollment to help offset the cost. If not, I'd suggest spending the money on an engineering program or other fast growing career field... or maybee even a football program like mitchella81 suggests. I would just be surprised if students at a largly commuter school would use the facility enough to make it worthwhile. Maybe add the student housing first? I hope it's been well thought out.

You say "..spending the money [else where]" but let me enforce that they're isnt extra money sitting around that they would be using or anything like that. Any type of adding as far as departments would be funded by the state not fees added on to the bill of all the students.

Can you guys see the website? http://campusrec.colstate.edu/recbuilding/ - I can't seem to get to it outside of the school network.

No, I couldn't get to that link. I could get to the page that shows the building and has a link to the article. () Maybe the link is just broken...

I hear what you're saying re: not any extra money. I'm just saying that $16 million is coming from somewhere, donors, student fees, what have you. I'm just saying if $16 million is going to be spent, I hope it gets the university and community a good return on the investment.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I go to Columbus State and the only reason why I don't really care for it, is simply because everything here is so car oriented! :blink: Instead of wasting 16 million on another fancy complex that we really don't NEED, what they need to do is invest the money into DORMS. Not STUDENT APARTMENTS. -_- DORMS. I hate having to live with my grandmother just because I graduated at 17 and didn't have $2,400 in a bank account ready to give to CSU. I would hate to be a poor kid who on HOPE alone is trying to go to college and end up having to sleep out under a bridge somewhere. :cold: At least when Emory and other colleges with dorms make it mandatory for students to reside in them, THEY provide financial assistance in the form of GRANTS to students who cannot provide the means to pay room and board already. (sigh...) So seeing all of these NEW facilities actually disgusts me more so than they impress me. CSU is the first college I've been to that makes my Atlanta-exurb high school (Mundy's Mill with a population of over 3,000 students) look more lively. That is sad. This money needs to go toward creating a better campus life and dormitories. <_< CSU is dead during the weekend and during the day. Morning and evenings are the liveliest, and it is STILL pretty quiet.

• 1 month later...
CSU students approve plan for aquatic center

Price for student-funded recreational center jumps to $28 million

A student recreation center planned for Columbus State University just got a little closure to reality.

The facility will include a general fitness area; a women's-only fitness area; two basketball courts; three volleyball courts; two racquetball courts; a multi-purpose court to accommodate indoor soccer, rollerblade hockey and volleyball; an indoor walking-running track; a ballroom; gameroom; lounge area; retail space; aerobic rooms; locker rooms, and student activity and government offices.

The university is still studying where the center will go. One location that is being considered is the parking lot between Woodruff Hall, the old basketball gym, and the Lumpkin Center.

The 26,000-square-foot aquatic center will have six or eight swimming lanes, a 1-meter diving board, a leisure pool with slides and adaptable for water volleyball, a "lazy river," a 20-30-person hot tub and an adjacent outdoor sundeck.

The entire recreation facility will be 98,000 square feet. Groundbreaking will be held in August 2009. It will take 2 years to build the facility.

This will be an amazing building for campus!

Archived